ESOC Autumn Championship 2018

United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

ESOC Autumn Championship 2018

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Autumn Tournament Information
*Mostly written by @CurassierAndCurassier

After an extended break from the tournament format, with which we are all familiar (looking at you Weekend Tours who shook things up in an awesome way over spring), we are now back hosting our (possibly annual) 1v1 Championship! Are you at least PR15? Do you like winning? Do you just like to play? Do you like money? Would you like to just play something, win, make money? Sign ups open soon!

New tournament, new rules. I’m sure you’ve got lots of questions, so let’s get right to it, shall we? Do note that this simply covers a few things. Threads will be open soon that will go into everything more thoroughly. A more thorough review.

What’s the map pool going to be like? I don’t want to have to prepare for dozens of maps.
There are only nine maps that will be used in this tournament. They are Manchuria, Tibet, Gran Chaco, Hudson Bay, High Plains, Alaska, Kamchatka, Baja California, and Herald Island. These are nine battle-tested, classic ESOC maps. But make sure to brush up on the ones you’re not familiar with, because these are all you get.

Are there any in-game rules I should know about?
Don’t be a dick. :devil: Respect and sportsmanship is mandatory. Serious offense(s) may disqualify you from the tournament. In the immortal words of Tomas Hertl: Fun must be had always.

I lost! But I still want to play so can I please come back into the tournament?
No. BUT if you get eliminated before the bracket stages, then you qualify for the Second Chance.

How much money can I win?
Don't know, it depends on how well you do. There is a $1600 (thank you to everyone who donates! :love: ) prize pool that will be distributed as follows: 1st: $800, 2nd: $400, 3rd: $200, 4th: $100, Betting champion: $100. There is no cash prize pool for the Second Chance Tournament, however its winner as well as the Autumn Champ Winner will receive special badges!

Where can I find the brackets?
The brackets are not yet completed so stay tuned. [spoiler=Helpful Diagram]Image[/spoiler]

I don't care about playing, but I want to watch and put my betting skills to use. When can I do that?
Betting will begin September 24th. Caution: you will be facing the infamous @zoom, who is our own betting Lazarus. What is dead may never die! Even if you are 16k points ahead, as @spanky4ever was last tournament, and Zoi is only sittin' on 100 points, you are still not safe. Maybe @deleted_user2 will be the one to knock out Zoi. As always, betting is free and you are given points with which to bet.

Personally, I'm excited. People have been saying India is good, but are they really uncounterable? Is Brit still a strong pick on the more hunt-heavy maps? Do we have a dark horse in Japan? I have heard straight from the big G that they are underrated, and he's not the only one to say this. What about Ottomans? Are they really bad, or unexplored? Sioux? Spain's Spanish Gold card? There is a lot of uncertainty here, and if players prepare well, the tournament is bound to clear some of that up. Looking forward to some creative new builds that shake up our grounded meta. cough cough @[Armag] diarouga

As always, this tournament was funded by you all. Please don't forget to donate towards the next tournament. Thank you! :flowers:

Click here to sign up!
Update: Sign-ups are now closed!
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Re: ESOC Autumn Championship 2018

Post by zoom »

As much as I appreciate the tournament, I'm concerned with the prize-pool. Apart from being a ludicrous amount, considering the state of competitive AoE3, $1500 is irresponsible and jeopardizes ESOC's capacity to stage future events. $1000 already was irresponsible and ridiculous.
No Flag Radix_Lecti
Dragoon

Post by Radix_Lecti »

More people should donate.
France Aykin Haraka
Howdah
EWT
ESO: aykin

Post by Aykin Haraka »

you haven't donation badge
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

Aykin Haraka wrote:you haven't donation badge

That doesn't your business
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

$800... Sweet.
[Sith] - Baphomet
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Snuden wrote:$800... Sweet.

Thanks for caring about my financial situation
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Germany blasdg
Dragoon

Post by blasdg »

Complains because the prize pool is too high? Are you mildly retarded? :D
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

blasdg wrote:Complains because the prize pool is too high? Are you mildly retarded? :D

Well, it doesn't sound so good if $1600 prize pool now means that the next one will have 100$ prize pool, does it? Have to consider some sustainability.
momuuu wrote: ↑theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
United States of America Hidddy_
Retired Contributor
ESO: Hidalgito

Post by Hidddy_ »

Can I sign up directly for the second chance tourney?
De Funk
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

blasdg wrote:Complains because the prize pool is too high? Are you mildly retarded? :D
Severely!
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Hidddy_ wrote:Can I sign up directly for the second chance tourney?

No
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

zoom wrote:As much as I appreciate the tournament, I'm concerned with the prize-pool. Apart from being a ludicrous amount, considering the state of competitive AoE3, $1500 is irresponsible and jeopardizes ESOC's capacity to stage future events. $1000 already was irresponsible and ridiculous.

Was thinking the same but I have been thinking that for 2 years now and prizepools keep increasing.
But an update on ESOC's financial situation would be nice
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

I'm happy to donate if it means it helps to get good games and a great viewer experience etc..
Sweden Zutazuta
Howdah
zuta

Post by Zutazuta »

come on lads, we can always raise more funds...time to go big or go home
Ghana Magna_Emperia
Crossbow
ESO: Magna_Emperia
GameRanger ID: 9398978

Post by Magna_Emperia »

Am I the only one who notices that, in the rules, there is no mention of the game time beyond which a caster cannot restart a game? In Gameplay Rule 1.6, it is stated that players can restart a game(not being casted by an official caster) only before the two-minute mark; and it also mentions that when there is an official caster, the caster will determine the restarts. However, no where in the Gameplay Rules is it explicitly stated that beyond a certain minute mark, the caster cannot call for a restart. I've watched ESOC tournament matches where it has been assumed that a caster cannot call a restart before the two-minute mark even though the rules don't give a game-time limit for casters; it just gives a two-minute limit for players, and makes no mention of a game-time limit for casters. I don't know if the two-minute mark limit for casters is just a "convention" or some sort of "unspoken rule". If it is a just a "conventional practice" or an "unspoken rule", I'd prefer that it be "spoken" and go beyond just a "convention". And if I've misunderstood something, I'd like things to be clarified.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

I think it's assumed that casters should restart the game asap if it is the case. You don't want to restart a game when something already happened.
Image Image Image
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

There have been games where caster haven't noticed til later. I remember a game where a water spawn point didn't spawn, which is a potentially game losing bug, and that wasn't noticed til like 5 minute mark or smt
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

ye that's a fail indeed, wont happen again
Image Image Image
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor
ESO: QueenOfdestiny

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

@Magna_Emperia Thanks for your comment. It's always nice to see people who carefully read the rule.
We try our best to keep a rehost, under 2min most of the time.
As well when there wouldn't be a caster and the map spawn like that. Is this better for the players?
I doubt it.

@gibson I rember this game. The caster was alone and didn't had so much experience.
We all humans and mistakes like that happens sadly.
As well when there wouldn't be a caster and the map spawn like that. Is this better for the players?
I doubt it.

We try to keep our caster team always up to date with feedback and a lot of tips.
For example a Ressourcen checking guid for maps.
shit juice :hmm:
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

Magna_Emperia wrote:Am I the only one who notices that, in the rules, there is no mention of the game time beyond which a caster cannot restart a game? In Gameplay Rule 1.6, it is stated that players can restart a game(not being casted by an official caster) only before the two-minute mark; and it also mentions that when there is an official caster, the caster will determine the restarts. However, no where in the Gameplay Rules is it explicitly stated that beyond a certain minute mark, the caster cannot call for a restart. I've watched ESOC tournament matches where it has been assumed that a caster cannot call a restart before the two-minute mark even though the rules don't give a game-time limit for casters; it just gives a two-minute limit for players, and makes no mention of a game-time limit for casters. I don't know if the two-minute mark limit for casters is just a "convention" or some sort of "unspoken rule". If it is a just a "conventional practice" or an "unspoken rule", I'd prefer that it be "spoken" and go beyond just a "convention". And if I've misunderstood something, I'd like things to be clarified.

The process is casters check the map balance and trigger a reset if needed as their first action in the game. This is harder for players who can’t see the whole map. We can always be more clear in the language of the rules, hopefully this one was pretty low impact.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

Any minimum PR required to enter this?
(Asking on behalf of a friend)
[Sith] - Baphomet
Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon
ESO: WS6AR

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

I think minimum was posted at 15.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

Yes, I found it.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

dont like only 9 maps, much easier to nerd all of them and find out where the livestock/good treasures are, also not much diversity