Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Crossbow
ESO: ShinkuroYukinari

30 May 2019, 01:19

JAMBOREE JOURNAL, Volume 1

Hello Reader!

As one should be aware, last week we witnessed the beginning of the second official Wars of Liberty tournament! So far we've seen some pretty interesting games, whether they be strange matchups, crazy outcomes, unconventional strategies, or simply OOS's at the most opportune times! Gotta love them OOS's. I want to use this opportunity to showcase a few matches that are interesting from a strategic or analytical perspective, some things that generally can‘t be paid enough attention to when live-broadcasting. So don’t worry, Daedy still has his spot for live commentary. I’m just a guy that likes crunching numbers and telling people their favourite unit is actually pretty bad using mathematics (coughgreatbombardcough)!

A wise man once said that “Strategy without tactics is the slow road to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat”. This statement easily applies to many RTS games today, which includes our beloved Age of Empires 3 (& Wars of Liberty). If you have a solid game plan and understanding of what you can do, you can do a lot more than you can imagine. I want to use these Journals to help people understand this idea and help them improve at the game (and its most ambitious and fleshed out mod) by looking at the numbers and perhaps winning from the moment the map loads and you frantically start clicking away at your villagers, seeking to gather the crates as fast as possible...

ROUND OF 64 - SEPTAFOLIA VS UNSTOPPABLESTRELETSY
Brazil vs Paraguay, ESOC Gran Chaco

This match was the talk of the town in the WoL Discord server considering Septa's developer status and Streletsy's tenuous membership. The match itself raised some interesting questions about the Paraguayan civilization as well as the game plans of both Streletsy and Septa.

For the uninitiated, a quick description of Paraguay and Brazil!

Streletsy utilised a Stable rush and the Paraguayan trickle of free cavalry in order to win, mostly forgoing standard economy which, by the end of the match, was about as good as if he had 15 normal villagers. The perfect all-in. Had Septa prepared a quicker defense and utilised the Big Button Tech from an earlier point, he stood a good chance at beating the initial wave of Aca Yboty's with an extra batch of Musketeers. Septa’s deck was also ill-prepared for the match, most likely anticipating a slower grind as opposed to a rush, as one might anticipate from a civ with such economic potential as Paraguay.

If you decide to watch the replay or Daedralus’ stream, you will most likely notice that Streletsy didn’t train a single Koygua in Age 1. This is because Koygua need twice as long to repay their cost as a normal villager. To cement how all-in he went, he even elected to send 300f as his first shipment, eager to reach Age 2 A-S-A-P. Generally, training Koygua Age 1 is inefficient unless you expect to get rushed, in which case Koygua can scale to 160HP and 21 attack with 18 range with Market upgrades in Age 2. That being said, sending 300f on top of that just screams “let’s get this done quickly”.

ROUND OF 64 - CAPERBR VS OUTLAW0125
Argentina vs Greece, ESOC Indonesia

Entering this game, it was anticipated for Caper to close out the series with a 2:1, due to locking into a civilization matchup that was seemingly in his favour. Argentina is considered to be a powerful civ with its herd economy and a Horse Grenadier known to cause terror in late-game matches. Greece, in contrast, is often looked at as an underdog civilization, barring a few players who swear by it on water maps. Luckily for Outlaw, this was just the map. A modest island in the center, and a LOT of fishes and whales around. The perfect opportunity!

As mentioned before, Argentina is regarded as a strong civilization

Ah Greece, everyone’s favourite Underdog…

During the game, Outlaw mostly relied on the 2 Pyrpolikon shipment to train Sailors from behind the Argentinian base, maintaining constant pressure on Caper. A major key to Outlaw's victory was in denying Caper's defensive walling at just the right moment, and never letting him get it back up again. At the same time, Outlaw fought on two fronts with a forward base on land producing Seimen. Outlaw secured a clean victory for himself by pressuring early and preventing Caper from moving out of his base, all while having total control of the sea. To the surprise of most, Outlaw won the game of attrition, winning the match in a spectacular comeback!

But alas, Outlaw would move on to face the one and only @Mitoe in the Round of 32… R.I.P!
First get to Age 4, then complain about Bulgaria :hehe:
France Cometk
ESOC Media Team
ESO: DJ_Cometk

30 May 2019, 02:49

thank you @ShinkuroYukinari for the writeup!
No Flag uberjz
Musketeer
ESO: uberjz

30 May 2019, 03:16

Fantastic writeup, really enjoyable to read.
India Outlaw0125
Crossbow
ESO: Outlaw0125

30 May 2019, 06:54

Nice! I made it to the honorable mentions.I am one of the cool bois now.
Too bad I lost my fangirls in the match vs mitoe.

Just a minor Correction - It wasnt 1:0 for caper.
It was a 1:1
Greeks vs Argentina was our third game
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Crossbow

30 May 2019, 08:53

Outlaw0125 wrote:Nice! I made it to the honorable mentions.I am one of the cool bois now.
Too bad I lost my fangirls in the match vs mitoe.

Just a minor Correction - It wasnt 1:0 for caper.
It was a 1:1
Greeks vs Argentina was our third game

Thanks for the info, I corrected it!
India Challenger_Marco
Lancer
ESO: challenger_marco

30 May 2019, 08:59

Where is my game ? that greece vs korea especially on hudson bay
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Crossbow

30 May 2019, 09:03

Challenger_Marco wrote:Where is my game ? that greece vs korea especially on hudson bay

Volume 1 is there for a reason. I am already in the process of picking the next few games to cover :mrgreen:
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

30 May 2019, 11:07

it sounds more like World Cup matches than AoE3 games lol
I drive all the time
It's no big deal
Open the door
And get behind the wheel :smile:
Germany Makrokosmos12