Announcing the $3000 ESOC Winter Championship 2020!

Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Re: Announcing the $2500 ESOC Winter Championship 2020!

Post by Garja »

Riotcoke wrote:
Garja wrote:
Show hidden quotes
map pool and same civ rules which force you to touch and go with each civ
You mean be a better player by playing more civs, rather than laming one civ?
I mean that any competitive game is about maining one civ/character and then at best having a number of off civs/characters.
Image Image Image
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Hazza54321 wrote:its because garja cant only play japan
ye

or aztecs

or iro

or india

or germans

or spain

well honestly I could play any civ if I wanted to
Image Image Image
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Garja wrote:
ye

or aztecs

or iro

or india

or germans

or spain

im saying u cant play other civs u fool, im saying you only want to play japs 100%
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Wouldn't we all...
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Kinda repeating what others said, but gotta admit it's probably too much money for the advanced division.

Unless I misunderstand the rules, reaching the RO8 of the "real" tourney and losing (so that's 5th-8th places) means you've won a first match against a top 24 player, and then beaten one of the 8 top seeds in RO16 (that's the big thing). That sounds more prestigious to me than winning a tourney with only "tier 2" players (that's sort of equivalent to winning a "second chance" tournament). Yet the reward is higher for the latter, which doesn't make much sense imo, and might indeed encourage some people to fix their matches.

I'd say no one is low enough to actually give a free win to then proceed to go bash people in a lower division. But as proven in this thread already, some people don't have much pride and would be ready to do it. So I guess just take some money away from the advanced division and add it to the pro one.

Other than that, I think this event looks really cool and it's gonna be lots of fun, and the prize pool is impressive so thanks to the donators. Also nwc rules are cool I think, and zero no TP map is better than 2-3 like we had (boring games), though I still think 1 no TP map in the pool would be alright.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Hazza54321 wrote:
Garja wrote:
ye

or aztecs

or iro

or india

or germans

or spain

im saying u cant play other civs u fool, im saying you only want to play japs 100%
but I dont. I mean japs are a good all around civ ye but so are lot ofother civs
Image Image Image
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

zoom wrote:No cheating accusations, please!
It's not a cheating accusation becouse is ban from elo becouse of that and it's fully assumed by him.

By the way, i'am thinking about something, if Garja want play at this tournament, in what kind of division will it be placed? the "blank" division?
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Garja wrote:
Hazza54321 wrote:
Show hidden quotes
but I dont. I mean japs are a good all around civ ye but so are lot ofother civs
I’m still a bit confused where you take issue with the civilization rules.

For example, kynesie was able to make it to the Finals of the Autumn Championship 2018 using only Portuguese and Japan. He did win with a few other civs in earlier matches, but in his Semi-finals series with Raphael he won x2 with Portuguese and Japan and consequently earned a Finals slot. Do you think that would be preferable to the current rules, which require knowledge of at least 4 civilizations?
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

Agreed, don't want to reward people for just laming a single civ :chinese:
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Completely free civ pick would be fine if the balance was near perfect. Right now it's just not an option. We could see that already in twc tourney where people would go iro again and again even though they didn't always have to.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Having the NWC rules is just better. It stops games being boring at the end of the day. And when you get down to brass tacks the games are equally for the viewers as well as the players.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Veni_Vidi_Vici_W wrote:Paying multiple places is good as I have always advocated, although I think you have gone too far here as Dia sort of said. 5-8th place prizes of advanced should probably go to pro division.
I don't think that's really necessary. The Pro Division is already $1800 — more than even the most lucrative tournament of ESOC past — and requires the fewest amount of matches played from our top players (and consequence of this fact, we can expect some very high quality games). A pre-qualified player in the Pro Division only needs to win a single match to be entitled to some of the tournament prize pool, something that has never been the case before in an ESOC tournament.
Losing on purpose seems a flaw in this system to me as well. If you think you won't make it into the top of the pro division, why not try to get in advanced and top 3 there (same amount as 5-8 in pro division). Also, what happens with people signing up with a lower-elo / smurf account to get into the advanced league instead of pro.
I'm not sure that it is. There isn't a strong incentive to do this because the only person earning more than a Pro Division player is the winner of the Advanced Division - a single player, compared to the Top 8 from the Pro Division. To put it into perspective, all of these players had less than a Top 8 seed in the Autumn Championship 2018: snowww, kynesie, SomppuKunkku, PrinceofKabul, Conquerer999, IAmSoldieR, Lukas_L99, tabben, iamturk, & Lecastete.

This is roughly the level of competition you might expect from the top end of the Advanced Division. I think that winning the Advanced Division — that is, winning at least 4 consecutive matches against foes that will be roughly the same caliber as the above referenced players — might be a bit harder than simply winning your Round of 16 match in the Pro Division.

As always, the tournament administration team will remain vigilant for smurfing and match rigging. As Bramboy has pointed out, we've set the bar quite high for integrity in ESOC events, and by now players should be aware of the consequences of tournament tomfoolery. I can give you my personal guarantee of "no bullshit allowed". ;)
[Armag] diarouga wrote:500$ for a tier 2 tourney, really ? That's almost what bsop got for winning the first ASC and that's 10 times more than what people earn when the reach the finals of small events like week-end tourneys, mono civ or TWC tourneys.

The $500 base prize pool for the tournament you're referring to was contributed entirely by one donor, to host the event. You should simply be grateful that an event was put on, because the other option is that it wouldn't exist at all. :flowers:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:
kami_ryu wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:I am tempted to play but EP 7.0 is too much for me. I might sign up and free lose to win the advanced league though.
lol there is no way that they would let you get away with match-fixing
When losing some games on purpose can make you win more money than you would if you don't you know there's an issue...
Hardly. But it might be a bit ironic for the New World Champion of 2019 to adopt the simple self-imposed moniker of "Advanced Player". :P
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Its standard in esports that 5-8th place in a tier 1 tourney makes less than 1st place in a tier 2 tourney. Not sure why everyone is whining about incentivising people who arent top players to play and improve.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

If you throw matches you're a tool, and you'll have to live the rest of your life without thumbs.
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Post by sebnan12 »

i hate that there always needs to be money involved for people gaining motivation to play. but thats just hoe it works i guess :(
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
Sweden Zutazuta
Howdah
zuta

Post by Zutazuta »

Can I put up another 500 to make it an even 3K? Also, signed up for my first ever ESOC tour - how many times am I allowed to play Japan per series?
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Zutazuta wrote:Can I put up another 500 to make it an even 3K? Also, signed up for my first ever ESOC tour - how many times am I allowed to play Japan per series?
ok :santa:
Sweden Victor_swe
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by Victor_swe »

Zutazuta wrote:Can I put up another 500 to make it an even 3K? Also, signed up for my first ever ESOC tour - how many times am I allowed to play Japan per series?
Probs 2 amirite?
Signed up aswell. Hope we in same division :love:
Dead hunts cant walk....

BrookG - "There is a G in everyone"
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Could you maybe also ask/advice to put up 100$ of your donation as a prize pool for the beginner division with distribution like 55 25 15 5 for top 4? Just my suggestion so that they aren't left out of any winnings :flowers:
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

well the the winner of the beginner's division get coaching frmo pro players so imo its not worth putting 100$....
:nwc:
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team

@Zutazuta When Zuterjection is happening ?
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team

btw can someone bring BlackStar_OP back please? he will show how real men play aoe3 :D
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

Challenger_Marco wrote:btw can someone bring BlackStar_OP back please? he will show how real men play aoe3 :D
he'll lose to current top players hard
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Great Britain The_Lastsamurai
Pro Player
ESO: The_lastsamurai

Post by The_Lastsamurai »

iwillspankyou wrote:
Cometk wrote:Winter is coming
not being annoyances. but where did you get those fundings?. It would be fair to spell lit all out for us to z

Edited by Comm Team to improve readability
Jesus you do realise the whole of esoc doesn't revolve around. you right? god get over yourself.

(probably gonna get deleted again but we all know its the truth)
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team

Sargsyan wrote:
Challenger_Marco wrote:btw can someone bring BlackStar_OP back please? he will show how real men play aoe3 :D
he'll lose to current top players hard
he will comeback with the HARD D after hes back to normal