ESOC Patch 7.0.0.0 released!

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Re: ESOC Patch 7.0.0.0 released!

Post by deleted_user »

Garja wrote:
deleted_user wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Yeah and one of those options is the best, and creates the least division with the most positive balance implications.
If one options is clearly the best why even give the choice. Just add that crate to the base ones?
I do not know how many times I will have to restate the same thing.

"Best" (quote unquote) crate. Allow players the option to pursue an unorthodox crate start if they feel it will provide them a personal advantage, akin to an unorthodox chess opening a human might play but an engine wouldn't.
Garja wrote:But at that point why even add anything, just leave the base crates?!
So you mean why have a random crate at all, and just keep it to the guaranteed? As goodspeed said, if you remove the possibility to build an early TP, extra manor, market etc., people will flock to RE. It removes too much enjoyment, and would be even more unpopular than any other option.

Let me say this, I am in favor of random crates over literally fixed crates, but not over my suggestion to choose the random crate which I prefer above all else.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Nice job with everything, love the balance changes!
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Btw, isn't it also possible to remove the 100w+100f and 100c+100f starts and keep wood, coin and food starts? Then if a civ is really problematic with certain crate starts, it's always possible to fix their crates (like what happened with china). However, because the double random crates don't exist anymore, this doesn't have the nasty effects that led to the removal of China's fixed crates in the first place.

This is extremely flexible and attempts to keep random crate starts as much as possible, so it's also a good compromise.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Goodspeed wrote:
deleted_user wrote:@Goodspeed I just conceived this idea last night. It's younger than EP 7 which you say needs time and cannot be judged yet.
Everything can be judged. Diarouga said it "proved him right" which I thought would be impossible in 2 days time.
Some changes are super unpopular (and quite obviously bad) and are still going to be implemented because of the lack of democracy in the EP process.
Not complaining about it lead to that "wait and see" situation where people will have to play on an untested patch with more than 50 changes.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Btw, isn't it also possible to remove the 100w+100f and 100c+100f starts and keep wood, coin and food starts? Then if a civ is really problematic with certain crate starts, it's always possible to fix their crates (like what happened with china). However, because the double random crates don't exist anymore, this doesn't have the nasty effects that led to the removal of China's fixed crates in the first place.

This is extremely flexible and attempts to keep random crate starts as much as possible, so it's also a good compromise.
We did look at something similar: Giving China the extra random food crate if the other civ got it. I don't remember why we didn't go for it at the time. May have been technically impossible without UHC.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Goodspeed wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:Btw, isn't it also possible to remove the 100w+100f and 100c+100f starts and keep wood, coin and food starts? Then if a civ is really problematic with certain crate starts, it's always possible to fix their crates (like what happened with china). However, because the double random crates don't exist anymore, this doesn't have the nasty effects that led to the removal of China's fixed crates in the first place.

We did look at something similar: Giving China the extra random food crate if the other civ got it. I don't remember why we didn't go for it at the time. May have been technically impossible without UHC.
I recall the thing I suggested used to also technically be impossible. But with UHC it might be possible now? It doesn't really seem like it was ever reconsidered, as I don't see it mentioned anywhere.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

@EAGLEMUT bug with consulate. gives very low los when u switch from otto to brit but only on the consulate only, basically zero LOS
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Lukas_L99 wrote:
zoom wrote:Although I expect Chinese to perform average or below, on this iteration, that most certainly isn't the goal. It's difficult to work with the above comments, alone. Please elaborate on the issue, that we may solve it.

If you think the start needs a buff, I would try buffing Village cost from 200w to 180w, Iron Flail cost from 240f to 220f, and nerfing Meteor Hammer cost from 175 to 190, which would make Black Flag army weaker, and Imperial Army stronger.
I think it's just the wrong way to change so much stuff. Shouldn't the goal be to have balanced (fixed) crates for each civ than removing the only fixed crates and add some random banner armies?

I also don't quite understand the ERK change to be honest.
First, thank you for your post—and for your patience. I'm a tortoise, when posting, and this one took more effort than most.

Your comments, like those of some other players, lead me to believe that you misunderstand what dynamic crates actually does for Chinese performance, relative to other civilizations.

In case you haven't already, please read the following excerpts, from the comments, in the OP:

"A divisive and fundamental change to the game, fixing crate starts would – beyond alienating many in the community – cause major balance issues for the foreseeable future, by drastically altering the strength of 14 civilizations in largely unpredictable ways, instead of altering one civilization in such a way that directly improves balance."

"Currently, depending entirely on the crate start, Chinese can be up (or down) 100 resources—a 200 resource swing. Necessarily, this is a major balance issue for the civilization, making it impossible to balance. Now, that won't be the case anymore, which will automatically make the civilization more balanced – and allow it to be balanced, in the first place. For more details, please see this post."

In case you have already read these excerpts, please excuse my repeating them; they are absolutely integral to understanding the impact of the changes made, and why they were made, in the first place. As noted above, fixing crates for every civilization would, In practice, disrupt balance for the foreseeable future, on a scale far greater than this update has (prior to any tweaks to it). By contrast – as explained to the best of my ability – giving Chinese dynamic crates has the exact opposite effect; it necessarily improves the balance of the civilization, provided that potentially warranted starting compensation is given, e.g a Village cost buff; thus the suggestion and my wondering if you think Chinese is currently too weak on non-wood starts. This information would be very useful towards making the right decision.

I resent the notion that the banner-army changes are random. They are perfectly deliberately filling the void of missing compositions (featuring the four units that previously occur only in one army). In general, increasing options adds strategic depth and variety to the game, improving the experience. Provided that the armies aren't inherently unbalanced – which is all I wish to test, mind you – I think they are worthwhile additions. After giving them a fair shake, if players opine they pose a balance issue, in themselves, (or even if they prove unpopular, regardless), I remain fully willing to revert them. Ultimately, my only goals are improving the quality of the patch, and its perception among players. The two mostly align, one way or the other; you just have to give it a little time, testing it.

I was discussing the ERK changes, with a few other players, yesterday. The idea is to both help the viability of other anti-cavalry options (specifically the Jaguar Prowl Knight, Puma Spearman and Skull Knight), and avoid the risk of overbuffing the civilization, by nerfing its most viable unit's performance against ranged units. The speed buff is intended to then help the unit better perform its role as pseudo-light cavalry. While I find that intent sound, I agree(d) that it does not justify nerfing the civilization in early Fortress Age, since the unit, while dominant, is fairly counterable, and ERK mono-compositions arguably isn't a pressing issue. As a result, then, the speed buff were undesirable, too. What's more, it's standardizing the unit, and Crackoyote Runners have plenty of speed to catch cavalry. Among a few other things, I intend to revert the ERK changes, in their entirity, in a limited balance update, coming before the tournament.
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

Are missing compositions not kind of the whole point of banner armies? You can't always make exactly what you want; that's the built-in downside. Having to supplement and balance your composition with shipments, mercs, cons units, nats, etc. is an interesting and unique aspect of China's gameplay.
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

The only reason for those banner army I can see is that it kinda makes age 2 more viable/flexible. And 100c start kinds forces you to play colo.
United States of America bittersalt123
Howdah

Post by bittersalt123 »

I can't believe I just got rick rolled in 2019.
"It makes a lot of sense to me that you're a Floridian." fightinfrenchman

Who needs water when you've got Brawndo – The Thirst Mutilator?

Secretary of State: But Brawndo's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Hazza54321 wrote:@EAGLEMUT bug with consulate. gives very low los when u switch from otto to brit but only on the consulate only, basically zero LOS
Yeah, that's big, ending otto relations now reduces all building LoS by 10. Won't be able to include this as a hotfix (because it would break recs), but we'll have to figure out how to get it resolved as soon as possible.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

EP 7.0.0.1 HOTFIX
changelog since EP 7.0.0.0
unless specified otherwise, game changes apply to all of ESOC Patch / ESOC Treaty Patch

ESOC Patch bug fixes
- Pet Grizzly Bear treasure is now guarded by 2 Grizzly Bears as intended (previously guarded by 3 Grizzly Bears).

ESOC Patch map changes
- Corrected the "Tournament Maps" map-set by replacing Baja California with Bonnie Springs.
- Fixed a minor issue in the description of "Team Maps" map-set, where "Himalayas Upper" was missing the UIx prefix.

Observer Mode
- Fixed an issue where visibility of economic/military gather point paths of buildings would persist through different matches in the same game session, even when the player was no longer an observer.
- Fixed an issue where the unsupported resolution warning would persist through matches in the same game session indefinitely, even when the player was no longer an observer or adjusted their resolution to a supported one.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Goodspeed wrote:
deleted_user wrote:@Goodspeed I just conceived this idea last night. It's younger than EP 7 which you say needs time and cannot be judged yet.
Everything can be judged. Diarouga said it "proved him right" which I thought would be impossible in 2 days time.
Incidentally, that proves me right: Bias makes fools of us all. That's why avoiding it and staying reasonable is so important.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

IAmSoldieR wrote:Can we get rate of fire added to ui like speed and health bar were?
Good question! Presently, we cannot. I will ask someone more competent to look into it.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Kawapasaka wrote:Are missing compositions not kind of the whole point of banner armies? You can't always make exactly what you want; that's the built-in downside. Having to supplement and balance your composition with shipments, mercs, cons units, nats, etc. is an interesting and unique aspect of China's gameplay.
Absolutely – and so it remains. In this regard, what, precisely, do you think the issues introduced are, for the Black Flag and Mongolian armies, respectively?
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

n0el wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:Guys, that poll was about -100c, not about fixed crates. But whatever fits your narrative I guess
Fixed crates are +20 in the public and +50 in the beta team. Both substantial numbers.
It's 57%; a slight majority. Please show some consideration for the 43 % who disagree with you! That's what I'm doing by deciding not to force a fundamental and unnecessary change – with additional drawbacks – on them.

Whether it applies to you or not, it's funny, that many of the people who claim that EP7 is "ruining balance", also advocate fixing all civilizations' crate-starts—which would make EP7 seem like the epiphany of balance, by comparison. Maybe we should try it for EP8, just to put things in perspective!
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

spadel wrote:I didn't read all the changes, but I really think ports are going to be waaay to strong with that cassador change. They are going to win all semi ff matchups just by kiting now.
In that case, it will be tweaked. Please keep sharing your opinion, after testing it – thanks!
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

n0el wrote:Im less concerned about that than I am their strength on the 300f/w start. It’s insane. We are entering back j to TAD launch territory which is why they fixed the crates.
Please understand that while Chinese will perform better on the 100f+100w start, than it did before, it used to perform miserably on it, being down 200 resources, compared to other civilizations on a 100f or 100c start.

It's less about Chinese being strong, and more about Chinese varying in strength, to an extreme degree, depending on starting crates. That is to say it was...
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

zoom wrote:
n0el wrote:Im less concerned about that than I am their strength on the 300f/w start. It’s insane. We are entering back j to TAD launch territory which is why they fixed the crates.
Please understand that while Chinese will perform better on the 100f+100w start, than it did before, it used to perform miserably on it, being down 200 resources, compared to other civilizations on a 100f or 100c start.

It's less about Chinese being strong, and more about Chinese varying in strength, to an extreme degree, depending on starting crates. That is to say it was...
How exactly were they down 200 resources on those starts? Its only 100, no?
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

zoom wrote:
Kawapasaka wrote:Are missing compositions not kind of the whole point of banner armies? You can't always make exactly what you want; that's the built-in downside. Having to supplement and balance your composition with shipments, mercs, cons units, nats, etc. is an interesting and unique aspect of China's gameplay.
Absolutely – and so it remains. In this regard, what, precisely, do you think the issues introduced are, for the Black Flag and Mongolian armies, respectively?
That you've just filled in the key missing composition.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

KINGofOsmane wrote:some good stuff some random stuff
Not sure why u would touch tp range to tc or xp trickl lol
From the OP:

– Trading Posts at minor native settlements now grant a trickle of 0.7xp each;
This change will improve minor native viability, as well as the viability of TP-dependent civilizations, on 0TP maps.

– Starting Town Center building placement minimum range no longer applies to Trading Posts
This change will eliminate the problem of certain Trading Posts being inconsistently possible to take, and reward players with total map control.

I would also like to take the opportunity to comment on the following changes, to the Portuguese:

– "Gunpowder Infantry Attack" shipment moved from Industrial to Colonial Age
– "TEAM Gunpowder Infantry Hitpoints" shipment moved from Industrial to Fortress Age

Compared to British, for instance, there remains a significant difference between having attack and hitpoints in Colonial, then combat in Fortress, and having attack in Colonial, hitpoints in Fortress, and Combat in Industrial. It is far from the same; the difference is just less extreme. On top of that, Portuguese has additional major incentives to advance in age, that other civilizations lack. Still, as is the case with most changes (including the preceding two), I'm open to reverting these ones, depending on results. While they do improve viability, they are hardly essential.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Mitoe wrote:Haven’t read the thread, but how in the world did the Chinese banner armies make it through despite resistance from every single top player?
First, it simply isn't true that there was resistance from every single top player. Second – and more importantly – because the changes have considerable upside, I'm yet to see a convincing argument against them, and they remain largely untested. Seeing how concerned some players are about them, I can only regret that they did not bother to test them, for several months. Still, we'll adapt!
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Mitoe wrote:Well in any case, aside from the new banner armies (which should have at least remained restricted to the castle IMO) and the Portuguese gather buff, I don’t mind most of the changes. Though there are still a few that I find a bit pointless, such as increasing the cost of the Russian musketeers to avoid a decimal instead of just reverting it to RE for simplicity.

Also still drives me crazy that the Japanese deck change is listed as a bug fix rather than a balance change when it’s arguably not even a bug and has a colossal impact on balance. At the very least just list it in both sections, please.
How is it arguably not a bug? It has been moved to the top of the list of bugs, regardless.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Hazza54321 wrote:The patch “team” should prove that the changes are good. Rather than us proving why its bad. He’s literally coming up with random changes i doubt anyone even discussed with him, like no one even mentioned they wanted banner armies or china crates changed(quite the opposite actually), yet theyre randomly implemented as though saying “prove us wrong” rather than explaining why these changes are good and evidence to back it up. Just a dumb policy as he could come up with any change (thats clearly an unintelligent idea as the vast majority disagree) and then we spend an entire patch iteration complaining and then gets fed up with negative feedback.
And I do my best to! If the argument against a change is unconvincing at best, and its upside great, I might consider making an exception and simply testing it, instead of automatically scrapping it, like I did with many changes, based on feedback. It's interesting how you can't see that, because a few changes that you disagree with did make it. With so many different opinions to take into account, you have to accept some compromises.

Don't mistake constructive feedback for positive feedback! In my experience, negative feedback tends to be more constructive than the positive kind, because the latter is less likely to include specific, useful information. The nature (or tone) of criticism has nothing to do with whether it's constructive; it's all about the informative content. For example, let's consider the following hypothetical feedback:

A. This specific thing is bad, for these specific reasons, and this is my suggestion on how to make it better, you fucknugget!"
B. Everything's good – you're amazing!

"A", while less respectful and more rude than "B", is far more useful, since it includes information that might lead to improvement. It's also more likely to be accurate, since B is unsubstantiated.

As far as the Chinese changes go, I don't have much to add to this post. I only insist that we test the banner-armies, with an open mind, and remain open to reverting either (or both) of them, in the future – depending on feedback. To that end, focusing more on testing whether they are desirable, and less on insisting on one or the other, will yield the best final results.

Thanks!