Winter 2020 Grand Finals

Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06
ESO: duolckrad, Kuvira
Clan: 팀 하우슀

Winter 2020 Grand Finals

Post by VinyanyĂ©rĂ« »

The Grand Finals of the 2020 ESOC Winter Championship Is Here!

The Best-of-9 series will be played this Thursday, March 5th at 18:00 GMT on ESOCTV.
Everyone loves a good comeback story. We've got Robert Downey Jr., Rocky, Kim Kardashian, and...Mitoe? Mitoe indeed. Only six months ago, Mitoe was contemplating retirement from the competitive scene after a number of disappointing matches in the ESOC Premier League. Perhaps a sufficient number of prays were given to restore his power, perhaps he secretly spent the holidays in a Korean team house with Mancl, perhaps he learned how to channel the energy of all of NA into his gameplay - whatever it is, Mitoe seems back in form and ready to win a finals.

Beginning with a seed into the Ro16, Mitoe first played a best of seven against The_LastSamurai. These players had previously met in the Spring 2017 Ro32, where Mitoe took a close 3-2 win in what was one of the best series of the tournament. Here in 2020, Mitoe again came out on top with a 4-2 record, finishing TLS off in a German mirror a crushing a fight that looked unwinnable.
EP Uhlans EleGiggle
Mitoe moved onto the quarterfinals against fan favorite Aizamk. The players initially traded games to a 2-2 score, but Mitoe won games five and six through an impressive (but somewhat unorthodox) Japan game and closed out the series with his signature China.
Discovering that 7 Ashigaru is a card
Finally, Mitoe played his semifinals match against Mandarin Duck Squad teammmate Lukas_L99. Lukas had shown good promise throughout the year and during the tournament, with an enviable practice record and the ability to boast a series win against the player who bested LordRaphael. Although Lukas lost his first game in the series, his perseverance, continued raids, and calmness in a losing position kept him in the game long after weaker players would have quit. For a moment, it looked like we'd have a lengthy match with an uncertain victor.
Fortunately for Mitoe, it can only get better from here
But instead, Mitoe unleashed his full power, taking three short victories right after the first game and finishing the series with a stunning 4-0 sweep. Not many players can claim to be capable of beating Lukas 4-0, and for Mitoe, it may well be the confidence he needs for the finals.

Hazza54321, meanwhile, has no such comeback story - he never left. Unlike Mitoe's ups and downs, Hazza's AGe of Empires III career has more-or-less seen a continuous upward trajectory. Rather than a return to form, a victory in the finals is a culmination of hard work and the sign of an era to come.

If Hazza's road to the finals looked easy, it's only because he made it appear that way. Opening with a quick 4-0 against SKG teammate and LAN top 8 PrinceOfKabul, Hazza set the tone for his tournament run. Displaying clean army positioning in his French game, excellent multitasking in the British mirror, and great memes micro with his Spanish play, Hazza put on a display of multi-faceted strength with no obvious blemishes.
A well-executed Spain Pain Train closes Hazza's first series of the tournament
In the quarterfinals, Hazza dashed relative newcomer iamturk's hopes of a deep tournament finish, trouncing him 4-1 (and really, who counts Ottoman games as real losses?). Despite the score being a little lopsided, this is a series worth watching - especially game 4, one of those rare gems where the players run out of gold mines on the map and start training Veteran Pikemen to keep an army together.
"It turns out building a mill in this position of the map isn't the best. Who knew?" - WickedCossack
Hazza's real triumph, however, was his series against Kaiserklein. Kaiserklein's incredible 2019 record - seriously, look at it - put him at the top of the power rankings of the Winter 2020 tournament. Early in the match, it looked as if Kaiser would once again demonstrate why he's at the top, starting the series 2-0 with a win as Ottomans and against Ottomans.

It ended there. Hazza reversed his fortunes in the series and won four games in a row, upsetting the likely champion and earning himself a spot in finals.
Kaiser's last stand

Between LAN tournaments, Age of Empires III DE, and Age of Empires IV, it's fair to say that competitive Age of Empires is undergoing a renaissance unimaginable only a few years ago. If we're lucky, this will be one of the last major Age of Empires III tournament - instead, not too long from now, we'll be holding DE tournaments to even larger viewership, with even larger prize pools, and even stronger community support. Whatever the future holds, ESOC will be around as the premier destination for coverage, streams, strategy, and, of course, memes. Check us out at https://twitch.tv/esoctv this Thursday at 18:00 GMT for all of the above!
Great Britain TheNameDaniel
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: danielek

Re: Winter 2020 Grand Finals

Post by TheNameDaniel »

Gl
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

good.
India Shikari
Dragoon
ESO: rahuru

Post by Shikari »

We need @Kaiserklein to cast this series.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Really exciting!

I can't root against either player! They're both awesome
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

Honestly wouldn't call it a Renaissance. The new world championship was way more competitive and the actual Renaissance. Right now even the top players hazza, mitoe and kaiser aren't really playing actively.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

I think Hazza is playing actively.
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Post by sebnan12 »

good writing. it wasnt lukas who bested raphael though. minor correction
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Post by occamslightsaber »

sebnan12 wrote:good writing. it wasnt lukas who bested raphael though. minor correction
He wrote “against the player who bested lordraphael,” meaning snowww.
The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger

Post by sebnan12 »

occamslightsaber wrote:
sebnan12 wrote:good writing. it wasnt lukas who bested raphael though. minor correction
oh i thought the 2 the's were made on porpuse
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

NEED MORE XP
Retired Contributor

sebnan12 wrote:
occamslightsaber wrote:
Nah, it was just an oversight. Thanks for pointing out the redundant “the” though. It’s been removed.

I intend all my puns.
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger

Post by sebnan12 »

occamslightsaber wrote:
sebnan12 wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Nah, it was just an oversight. Thanks for pointing out the redundant “the” though. It’s been removed.
meh just a stupid non english speaking person tryna be clever. sry anyways :(

NEED MORE XP
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

I'm gonna disconnect my work phone so I don't get interrupted while watching this.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Post by noissance »

Im taking a 4 day weekend off so i will be able to tune in.
Error 404: Signature not found
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

fightinfrenchman wrote:I'm gonna disconnect my work phone so I don't get interrupted while watching this.
how are you gonna deal with annoying emails from contractors?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

gibson wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:I'm gonna disconnect my work phone so I don't get interrupted while watching this.
how are you gonna deal with annoying emails from contractors?
Honestly what I've been doing recently is ignoring them to deal with other things, then if it's important they'll email me again a week or two later then I deal with whatever they want. So far it's all worked out easily
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

Less than 15 hrs to go u guys I'm hella excited
Retired Contributor

T-minus 14 hours until UNLIMITED POWAAA!

I intend all my puns.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

calculated.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

how much longer now?
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.