Ninja

Announcing iNcog's $700 Empire Cup!

Post by iNcog »

Announcing iNcog's $700 Empire Cup!

Starting March 21st at 15:00 GMT,
a 2-day weekend bash featuring new maps & unique rules

>> Click here to sign up! <<
>> Submit your "Premier" civilization here <<
I am pleased to announce that, with the partnership of ESOC, I will be hosting the first edition of the Empire Cup. Before continuing this introduction, a big thank you to @minimoult21 for matching the donations by myself and ESOC; as a result of his contributions, the prize-pool for the event doubled. I was surprised and frankly, words cannot truly express my gratitude to our friend for raising the stakes for this event and making it even more exciting. On to the main event!

There are a few twists in store for us this event. Firstly, the event will be played over the course of 2 days. On the first day, we will have a grind of Best-of-1s, as players will be pit against one another from the Round of 128 all the way to Quarter-Finals. After the dust settles, 4 players will remain to compete in the Semi-Finals and Finals match the next day. Day 1 will feature two high-octane streams on ESOCTV and ESOCTV2, picking out the best matches and broadcasting them to the AOE3 world!

Secondly, there are some new civilization rules in place.

— Upon sign-up, you will be asked to pick a "Premier Civilization". This had better be your best one, because you will be using this civilization for the first game of every single series played. This counts all the way from the Ro128 to the Finals. The clever among you will note that the earlier rounds of this cup are Best-of-1s. Indeed, your premier civilization will be used for that portion of the Cup as well. Have a look at the map pool and make your decision based off of that. To submit your "premier" civilization choice, make sure to send @Cometk a private message before the sign-ups deadline!

— Starting with the Round of 16, matches become Best-of-3's and a little more flexibility is given to players. This is where another addition is made to the tournament: a civilization veto mechanic. The simplest way to put it is that players are able to force their opponent to change civilizations for a given map. This rule is added so that players are more able to throw a wrench into their opponent's planning. We aim to stir the pot.

Speaking of pots, we must now once more acknowledge our wonderful patron, @minimoult21. On top of a generous donation to the prize-pool itself, minimoult has added two additional $25 prizes. :) The first prize goes to the biggest upset in the tournament. If an underdog topples their opponent, they may pick up a reward for their trouble. The other prize is most innovative strategy. Surprise us and surprise the community and see @Aizamk yourself rewarded with a prize for this as well.

Thank you for your attention, reading through this post. I hope that things will run smoothly on the weekend of March 21st to March 22nd, and that everyone has a ton of fun. It is a pleasure to contribute to this community, which is, in my belief, smaller but more vibrant and alive than any other.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
United States of America IGNDontay
Dragoon
ESO: Dontay

Re: Announcing iNcog's $700 Empire Cup!

Post by IGNDontay »

what are these new maps
You can’t read me I don’t play by the book.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Andrew Yang sponsoring this one?
Spain yoqpasa
Lancer
ESO: yoqpasa

Post by yoqpasa »

:o Civ veto!

United States of America giveuanxiety
Advanced Player
Donator 02
ESO: GiveUAnxiety

Post by giveuanxiety »

awesome, I'm looking forward to it.
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

WHAT does check your stove means? And how do you do it?
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

can basement members sign up
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

evilcheadar wrote:can basement members sign up
Yes
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Cometk wrote:
Yes
As long as they aren't liebers
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

XeeleeFlower wrote:
Cometk wrote:
Yes
As long as they aren't liebers
We accept both genders, liebers and non-liebers.
Germany Oliveza
Pro Player
ESO: Oliveza

Post by Oliveza »

Dang im skiing on that Weekend :sad:
The rules and maps seem really cool tho, GL with this @iNcog :flowers:
:mds: > BIGS
China Zeke
Dragoon
ESO: XYH

Post by Zeke »

It seems that there are some small mistakes in the last two examples for civ veto rule
The bo5 one:
veto bo5.png
After game 3, Aiz picks France, not being veto, and he picks again?

And for the bo7 one:
veto bo7.png
Both civs in the bracket for game 4 don't match with the previous description
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

This tourney is just for me - nothing over BO3 until I lose anyways hell yeah
Norway aqwer
Dragoon

Post by aqwer »

It is nice to see the motivation of the community for aoe3. But isn't it a bit overkill for a two day event in terms of the prize. IIRC first warchief tournament has a $250 prize pool. And last year EPL has $500 initial prize pool with atleast 20 players playing a lot of games for almost a month.
I think prize pool this big needs a full tournament for itself rather than being a weekend event.
#trainableSpahi
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

aqwer wrote:It is nice to see the motivation of the community for aoe3. But isn't it a bit overkill for a two day event in terms of the prize. IIRC first warchief tournament has a $250 prize pool. And last year EPL has $500 initial prize pool with atleast 20 players playing a lot of games for almost a month.
I think prize pool this big needs a full tournament for itself rather than being a weekend event.
The original prizepool was $350, of which ESOC contributed ~$150 - $200. I don't have the exact number right now. This is in line with our previous weekend tournaments.

Then minimoult stepped in and doubled the prize pool. So let's all give a huge thanks to him for the insane prize pool :)
Norway aqwer
Dragoon

Post by aqwer »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
aqwer wrote:It is nice to see the motivation of the community for aoe3. But isn't it a bit overkill for a two day event in terms of the prize. IIRC first warchief tournament has a $250 prize pool. And last year EPL has $500 initial prize pool with atleast 20 players playing a lot of games for almost a month.
The original prizepool was $350, of which ESOC contributed ~$150 - $200. I don't have the exact number right now. This is in line with our previous weekend tournaments.

Then minimoult stepped in and doubled the prize pool. So let's all give a huge thanks to him for the insane prize pool :)
That is very generous of him no doubt. I am trying to say that make it a more games event spread on a longer period. This will be more optimal for the viewers and players.
Just a suggestion.
#trainableSpahi
India gh0st
Lancer
ESO: gh0st007

Post by gh0st »

IGNDontay wrote:what are these new maps
Pls sign up, to beat illeyu
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Zeke wrote:It seems that there are some small mistakes in the last two examples for civ veto rule
The bo5 one:
veto bo5.png
After game 3, Aiz picks France, not being veto, and he picks again?

And for the bo7 one:
veto bo7.png
Both civs in the bracket for game 4 don't match with the previous description
I'll go fix that one up, thanks for noticing that

edit: should be good now
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

One of the things that we were discussing in the early drafts of this tournament was the veto mechanic. Please read the google doc carefully and PM me any questions regarding the veto mechanic. Much better to get a grasp of the thing now than for us to figuring it out the day of.

@Oliveza It's a shame you're skiing that weekend. You would have been a great player to have signed up. Have fun during your ski trip nonetheless!
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

aqwer wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:

That is very generous of him no doubt. I am trying to say that make it a more games event spread on a longer period. This will be more optimal for the viewers and players.
Just a suggestion.
I prefer weekend tours actually, though I'm probably biased since I do better in those
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

dicktator_ wrote:
aqwer wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Just a suggestion.
I prefer weekend tours actually, though I'm probably biased since I do better in those
The prize pool for this event blew up in an pleasantly unexpected way. It's quite awesome.

I do not plan for this to be a one time thing. If we can get the empire cup going and doing well, then I would like to make this a regular thing. We'll see. I don't think we'll get a prize-pool of this size every time, but I can raise money for a cup every now and again, it was actually quite easy to make the $200 that came out of my pocket. The rest (which is more than my money) is ESOC and minimoult21. :)

For now my goal is to make that upcoming weekend as cool as possible. I looked at some of the names signed up for this and I'm quite excited.
United States of America IGNDontay
Dragoon
ESO: Dontay

Post by IGNDontay »

gh0st wrote:
already beaten him and you for that matter, before so your comment is as funny as it is ignorant
You can’t read me I don’t play by the book.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

gh0st wrote:
Dongtay could never beat a major lol
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

gibson wrote:
gh0st wrote:
of the 3 games we've played, he's beaten me 2 times.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

deleted_user wrote:
gibson wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Thats because you're mentally weak when it comes to gaming.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

gibson wrote:
deleted_user wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Thats because you're mentally weak when it comes to gaming.
I'm a mental edifice, you imbecile.