ESOC Patch 8.1.0.0 Released

Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Re: ESOC Patch 8.1.0.0 Released

Post by gamevideo113 »

An amateur was able to lead the revamp of a 20 year old game very succesfully -> Designing a game is hard?
Don't get me wrong, i do agree that good game design requires experience, knowledge and a good vision, i just don't think it is near impossible to get design right as you seem to be claiming.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Probably because if you're in the community all the time (e.g. not a dev but a community member, thus an amateur), you have a better grasp of what the game is about than an actual game dev. I love game devs don't get me wrong but I tend to think that they are at least somewhat disconnected compared to someone who plays it on a regular basis.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Austria KINGofOsmane
Pro Player
ESO: KINGofOsmane

Post by KINGofOsmane »

Everything seems possibale now.
Get dem Yumis 20% more attack.
"Losing to Callen was the worst night of my life" Gibthedurrty 2019
"If hazza can get pr42 with team i can get pr50 with 1v1" Gibthedurrty 2018
Lecastete wrote: Dude i hate this game. I am bad and i also dont have luck
Tete cs:go experience
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

gamevideo113 wrote:An amateur was able to lead the revamp of a 20 year old game very succesfully -> Designing a game is hard?
Don't get me wrong, i do agree that good game design requires experience, knowledge and a good vision, i just don't think it is near impossible to get design right as you seem to be claiming.
It's mostly about the effort it takes. It takes lots of playtesting and refining to do game design well. It's basically a full time job for multiple people. Also I'd argue the 'revamping' that was done to aoe2 was actually relatively easy. Aoe2 is a game where diversity comes from the intrinsic gameplay, not necessarily from the differences between civs. Civs just have a few quirks that make them slightly different. Much of the initial revamp was just adding more civs with reasonably balanced quirks. This is far less complicated than redesigning the aoe3 civs, which are designed far more delicately. And then this simple revamp wasn't even that popular. I'm pretty sure pros were still playing on voobly up until DE.

DE then was a pretty huge project that had nothing to do with an amateur. This I think could be labeled as very succesful, even though there's still moderate controversy (ie the autoscout option). In my eyes it's primarily succesful because it added modern quality of life features that should've been part of the game to begin with. It's like when you release aoe3DE that actually has home cities that start at level 100, no FTJ, dedicated servers and actual working anti-cheat measures, and then saying it was a succesful 'revamp'. Yes it would be succesful, but mostly because it just added some basic features that should've been part of the game to begin with. I think aoe2 DE is far closer to this than it is to being a succesful redesign of the game.