Announcing the ESOC Stay-at-Home Cup!

United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Announcing the ESOC Stay-at-Home Cup!

Post by Cometk »

The $750 ESOC Stay-at-Home Cup

An ESOC charity event, all proceeds from Twitch subs & bits received
throughout the tournament will go towards COVID-19 relief funds!

>> Click here to sign up! <<
>> Submit your selection of 3 maps here <<
Beginning on July 20th, ESOC's Stay-at-Home Cup is a unique event that will put competitors on both familiar and unfamiliar territory. Conquest is the name of the game, and winning hard will put a player deep into enemy fields - that is, whenever you win a game, the next map in the series will be a map of the opponent's choice. The ESOC Stay-at-Home Cup will feature a mechanic whereby, before the sign-ups closing, players submit 3 maps to the admin team, which will form their "home pool" of maps. After losing a game in a series, a player will be allowed to select the next map that will be played from their "home pool". Maps can range anywhere from classics like ESOC Hudson Bay and ESOC Kamchatka to new-additions like ESOC Zavkhan and ESOC Nahanni to big memes like Ceylon and ESOC Global Warming. You can find more information on the map selection rules here.

An ESOC charity event, all proceeds from Twitch subs & bits received throughout the tournament will go towards COVID-19 relief funds, specializing in assisting those facing homelessness in America. The Sacred Heart COVID-19 Financial Assistance Program provides temporary financial assistance and supportive services to low-income families and individuals who are at risk of becoming homeless in Santa Clara County, California. At the end of the event, ESOC will forward our revenue accrued via Twitch to Sacred Heart to help combat poverty and homelessness struggles that have been exacerbated by COVID-19. If you would like to contribute directly, consider donating to Sacred Heart here.

The tournament is set to last until the end of August, and will feature two seperate brackets - a top-level field for the highest-rated 32 players and a lower-level division for up-and-comers and AoE3 aspirants. Whether or not you're an ESOC tournament veteran, this tournament has a place for you. You can sign-up for the tournament in your MyESOC panel.

Thanks, and here's to a great event!
Great Britain TheNameDaniel
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: danielek

Re: Announcing the ESOC Stay-at-Home Cup!

Post by TheNameDaniel »

Cool idea, nice to see this sort of stuff :)
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

For maps with summer/winter variant are we allowed to choose the variant?
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

Cool idea, ESOC slowly getting to my game-theory-approved way to pick match-ups.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

dicktator_ wrote:For maps with summer/winter variant are we allowed to choose the variant?
yes
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

Do I get disqualified if I play some games while being in someone elses house?
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

aligator92 wrote:Do I get disqualified if I play some games while being in someone elses house?
not as long as you submit "someone elses house" as one of your 3 maps
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Don't wanna be a cunt, but when was the last time we had a normal tourney? Like, just normal civ rules and a decent map pool. I get you want to mix in some funky rules for variety, but precisely for variety it would be nice to have a competitive tourney once in a while.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Kaiserklein wrote:Don't wanna be a cunt, but when was the last time we had a normal tourney? Like, just normal civ rules and a decent map pool. I get you want to mix in some funky rules for variety, but precisely for variety it would be nice to have a competitive tourney once in a while.
it's a tenuous situation planning for a major tournament right now with aoe3:de potentially around the corner - hopefully we'll get some more news in the Fall. besides, it's presently Summer, which is notoriously a wishy-washy season for Major Tournament scheduling.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Doesn't even have to be a "major", just competitive idk. Like we only see tourneys with random civs, random maps, or pick your civ / your 3 maps before the tourney begins, or EPL which was a team tourney, etc. They're cool tourneys for the most part but not necessarily competitive
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Kaiserklein wrote:Doesn't even have to be a "major", just competitive idk
winter championship, empire cups 1 and 2, and EPL dont seem like uncompetitive tournaments to me
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

About the donations: we are looking into registring on a website like https://tiltify.com/ so the donations go directly towards the goal and we all can track precisely how much has been donated towards it.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Kaiserklein wrote:Don't wanna be a cunt, but when was the last time we had a normal tourney? Like, just normal civ rules and a decent map pool. I get you want to mix in some funky rules for variety, but precisely for variety it would be nice to have a competitive tourney once in a while.
Smurf tourney is too whacky?

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

The only rule here is pick your home maps instead of any crazy civ rule. What I started to dislike about the EPL2 was that is felt we were playing the same maps over and over and over, here can get to see a variety of maps strategies and differences in playstyle which I feel is too be encouraged. also we will have a tournament which will not be pure TP map pools.

P. S. Although I would argue to remove esoc global warming though from the map pool haha
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06
ESO: duolckrad, Kuvira
Clan: 팀 하우슀

Post by VinyanyĂ©rĂ« »

Winter 2020 was a pretty recent tournament it just feels like it was an eternity ago because 2020
duck
:mds:
imo
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Cometk wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:Doesn't even have to be a "major", just competitive idk
winter championship, empire cups 1 and 2, and EPL dont seem like uncompetitive tournaments to me
A weekend tourney isn't very competitive (if you can even play it). And you had to lock a civ right? Plus the weird maps in the pool.
EPL is competitive but it's a team tourney. I think you can see it's a bit frustrating to have 90% winrate and not win the event. Surely that's, in a way, not competitive.
Winter yeah ofc, that was like 5 tourneys ago though right?
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob

Post by n0el »

Kaiserklein wrote:Doesn't even have to be a "major", just competitive idk. Like we only see tourneys with random civs, random maps, or pick your civ / your 3 maps before the tourney begins, or EPL which was a team tourney, etc. They're cool tourneys for the most part but not necessarily competitive
Why isn’t picking your own maps competitive? I’m seriously lost.
mad cuz bad
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

This looks cool, I might play as long as enough people sign up to put me in the bottom bracket.
Finland somp
Dragoon

Post by somp »

stay-at-ban cup
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote:The only rule here is pick your home maps instead of any crazy civ rule. What I started to dislike about the EPL2 was that is felt we were playing the same maps over and over and over, here can get to see a variety of maps strategies and differences in playstyle which I feel is too be encouraged. also we will have a tournament which will not be pure TP map pools.

I've just never understood why tournaments had such restrictive map pools. Why don't we have at least different map pools for the different stages ? Why should the final be played on the same map as the semi finals ?
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Le Hussard sur le toit wrote:
I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote:The only rule here is pick your home maps instead of any crazy civ rule. What I started to dislike about the EPL2 was that is felt we were playing the same maps over and over and over, here can get to see a variety of maps strategies and differences in playstyle which I feel is too be encouraged. also we will have a tournament which will not be pure TP map pools.

I've just never understood why tournaments had such restrictive map pools. Why don't we have at least different map pools for the different stages ? Why should the final be played on the same map as the semi finals ?
Makes practice for the tournament actually relevant. If the maps are completely supplanted every round, it becomes way too difficult to make relevant practice for the tournament. It also somewhat invalidates any ability you might have of scouting your opponent, since then studying theirs recs from the last stage won't be anywhere near as effective.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

n0el wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:Doesn't even have to be a "major", just competitive idk. Like we only see tourneys with random civs, random maps, or pick your civ / your 3 maps before the tourney begins, or EPL which was a team tourney, etc. They're cool tourneys for the most part but not necessarily competitive
Because the map pool isn't competitive. Same rule with a competitive map pool and it's fine
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Le Hussard sur le toit wrote:

It used to be a different map pool each round, it was much better imo. It's boring to always watch the same maps I agree
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob

Post by n0el »

Kaiserklein wrote:
n0el wrote:
Because the map pool isn't competitive. Same rule with a competitive map pool and it's fine
Im pretty sure the map pool is going to be completely standard in the ro16 and on, much more standard than a normal esoc tournament.
mad cuz bad
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

good thing kynesie is still banned, and breeze doesn't play.