Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Re: WARNING: possible loss of personal files when playing DE

Post by macacoalbino »

@j_t_kirk good stuff man

I loved to see the coronavirus peak in aoe2DE clearly seen in this graph:

In this one I feel like a good explanation is that we caught the attention of every aoe2 player there was and they just saw the game sucked in the launch and quit it.

Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

macacoalbino wrote:@edeholland Is this aoe2 data? I suppose the peaks were the weekly patches being released... Am I right?
Probably just the weekend. ;)
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

That's AoE2DE. Peaks are weekends.
India drsingh
Dragoon
ESO: drsingh

Post by drsingh »

There are many people continuing to play, without issues.

I suggest formation of a new thread, inviting reports of this and similar issue after latest patch. So that we can be assured after a week, if there are no more incidents..
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

drsingh wrote:There are many people continuing to play, without issues.

I suggest formation of a new thread, inviting reports of this and similar issue after latest patch. So that we can be assured after a week, if there are no more incidents..
:lol:
India drsingh
Dragoon
ESO: drsingh

Post by drsingh »

Is it bad to be worried about my data?
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

drsingh wrote:Is it bad to be worried about my data?
Yes if you are still playing AOE3 DE :hehe:
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

This is a small reminder to everyone that this serious bug is still around. It is unclear if the steps (if any) the developers have taken have been effective or not, but post-latest patch reports of this bug are still trickling in. One example from the steam forums below. I, for one, have uninstalled again.

Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:This is a small reminder to everyone that this serious bug is still around. It is unclear if the steps (if any) the developers have taken have been effective or not, but post-latest patch reports of this bug are still trickling in. One example from the steam forums below. I, for one, have uninstalled again.

Yeah I also have no intention of playing DE on my machine until there is some confirmation that this is fixed. For now I want to install linux on a spare drive I have, but haven't gotten to it yet.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:This is a small reminder to everyone that this serious bug is still around. It is unclear if the steps (if any) the developers have taken have been effective or not, but post-latest patch reports of this bug are still trickling in. One example from the steam forums below. I, for one, have uninstalled again.

The massive memory leak and subsequent loss of data has to do with incompetent software developers. Programming errors can lead to memory conflicts and, without virtual memory, an application can accidentally write data outside its own memory space, causing problems with other programs. I believe this is what happened with AOE3 DE...
By the way, this is not easily fixed at all. To do that they have to remake the game again :lol:
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Jotunir wrote: The massive memory leak and subsequent loss of data has to do with incompetent software developers. Programming errors can lead to memory conflicts and, without virtual memory, an application can accidentally write data outside its own memory space, causing problems with other programs. I believe this is what happened with AOE3 DE...
By the way, this is not easily fixed at all. To do that they have to remake the game again :lol:
Why do you think memory leak issues have to do with the data deletion bug?
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

edeholland wrote:
Jotunir wrote: The massive memory leak and subsequent loss of data has to do with incompetent software developers. Programming errors can lead to memory conflicts and, without virtual memory, an application can accidentally write data outside its own memory space, causing problems with other programs. I believe this is what happened with AOE3 DE...
Why do you think memory leak issues have to do with the data deletion bug?
Well, when your computer runs out of memory it will start to use the hard drive space for "virtual memory" to compensate.
While in theory this sounds fine, in reality your hard drive read/write speeds are much slower than the RAM read/write speeds. This lower operating efficiency doesn't just mean slower performance. It can also lead to, among other things, memory loss due to overwriting.
Also, AOE3 DE is built on an old engine that is not able to make use of all the benefits of a modern system, such as multiple cores. If you're playing games with enormous armies or play games for hours on end, the game will eventually reach its memory limit and crash. There is no solution for this, unless they make a new engine from scratch.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

@Jotunir think you're correlating two unrelated things here. If the problem was indeed with windows virtual memory feature, then we would have call of duty gamers (and all others) complaining that the game is deleting their files. (not to mention everybody that uses Google Chrome)
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
France flontier
Lancer
Intermediate Division Winner
ESO: Flontier
Clan: PLOP

Post by flontier »

What does the file delete bug has anything to do with a memory leak problem ?
As far as i know memory leaks make your game crash, its not the case here. It is not about computer spec that cant handle the game, its a totally different problem.

it is just boring that some people bring their crashs bug problem everywhere, it just adds more confusion into the subject.
Mongolia badger_prince
Musketeer
ESO: badger_prince

Post by badger_prince »

Jotunir wrote: Also, AOE3 DE is built on an old engine that is not able to make use of all the benefits of a modern system, such as multiple cores. If you're playing games with enormous armies or play games for hours on end, the game will eventually reach its memory limit and crash. There is no solution for this, unless they make a new engine from scratch.
In what world does multithreading support have anything to do with memoryleaks that overwrite your data?
I am actually curious - this does not gel at all with what I know about these subjects.
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

harcha wrote:@Jotunir think you're correlating two unrelated things here. If the problem was indeed with windows virtual memory feature, then we would have call of duty gamers (and all others) complaining that the game is deleting their files. (not to mention everybody that uses Google Chrome)
Faulty generalization :flowers:
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

badger_prince wrote:
Jotunir wrote: Also, AOE3 DE is built on an old engine that is not able to make use of all the benefits of a modern system, such as multiple cores. If you're playing games with enormous armies or play games for hours on end, the game will eventually reach its memory limit and crash. There is no solution for this, unless they make a new engine from scratch.
In what world does multithreading support have anything to do with memoryleaks that overwrite your data?
I am actually curious - this does not gel at all with what I know about these subjects.
It's a another matter...
I was talking about game perfomance when I wrote that bit. It was unrelated with the memory issue. There is no need to be a **** about it.
Mongolia badger_prince
Musketeer
ESO: badger_prince

Post by badger_prince »

Jotunir wrote: It's a another matter...
I was talking about game perfomance when I wrote that bit. It was unrelated with the memory issue. There is no need to be a **** about it.

No "being a ****" intended.
It is just that for me this stuff is totally unrelated.
And I wasn't the only one to misunderstand you.
All good. :flowers:
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

badger_prince wrote:
Jotunir wrote: It's a another matter...

No "being a ****" intended.
It is just that for me this stuff is totally unrelated.
And I wasn't the only one to misunderstand you.
All good. :flowers:
Sorry for the misunderstanding :flowers:
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Ok so game performance won't improve much, but the deleting memory think does have a change to be fixed without remaking the whole game?
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

ovi12 wrote:Ok so game performance won't improve much, but the deleting memory think does have a change to be fixed without remaking the whole game?
It could be done, but it would possibly mean saying goodbye to most of the graphical "upgrades" from DE.
I don't think they will do it :unsure:
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

progress.jpg
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

harcha wrote:
progress.jpg
"investigating" :salt:
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

Jotunir wrote:
harcha wrote:
progress.jpg
They have great communicators. That's why Germany came first with exclusive access.
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

bobabu wrote:
Jotunir wrote:
harcha wrote:
progress.jpg
They have great communicators. That's why Germany came first with exclusive access.
Ok