Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Re: WARNING: possible loss of personal files when playing DE

Post by edeholland »

NekoBerk wrote:By the way, the only thing i noticed since the day the game came out is that Age 3 DE takes some space from my C Drive when running even tho' I have it installed in my D Drive but I think this is normal.
I think that's normal, the game also saves user data like saved games and scenario's in your user drive. For me that's C:\Users\Edeholland\Games\Age of Empires 3 DE
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

It could be the paging file altho that should stay reserved even when the game is closed.

I'll wait until there is some confirmation that this issue is resolved. I think it is unlikely that they fixed this issue so fast, therefore I think the real fix is yet to come. The 5025 might have fixed the loss of settings/hotkeys when updating the game.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Re: URGENT WARNING: possible loss of all personal files upon launching DE

Post by macacoalbino »

Dolan wrote:Game development quality seems to have gone down
You really can't trust anyone anymore, not even Microsoft. I back up all my stuff at least once per week, I don't rely on the recovery system because even that one could malfunction or restore to an older restore point.
External backups on physical disks are still the best.
This is really unfortunate for us hard core gamers. It seems like game production "meta" is to have absolutely the least amount of costs you can. Even if it means having your clients be you alpha testers...
I got mixed feelings of sadness and anger about it :cry: :mad:

Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah

Post by macacoalbino »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:Ye, that's what I told Kevin the day he got that issue. Hiring a lawyer is not realistic but he can threaten Microsoft and ask them money, and they'll probably just pay.
Idk how things work in other countries. In Brazil I know there are public services for administrative claims, where you can try to reach deals with service providers that screw up (think about flight companies and the coronavirus situation). If that doesn't work, there is a small claims court which you can try to appeal if you really want to go for the justice system. In this case you don't even need a lawyer, you as a citizen can defend yourself without professional help. This usually brings good results and raises the access of the justice system to anyone even if they don't have money to hire a lawyer...

I wouldn't be surprised if people from the US would tell me this:

United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

The fact that this happened at all is surprising. The fact that it's coming from Microsoft and not some sketchy indie company blows my mind. I think ESOC itself could have made an RTS in Unity or Unreal and it would be more successful than... this.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

macacoalbino wrote: This is really unfortunate for us hard core gamers. It seems like game production "meta" is to have absolutely the least amount of costs you can. Even if it means having your clients be you alpha testers...
I got mixed feelings of sadness and anger about it :cry: :mad:
It’s almost like this is the way the entire global economy is incentivized to work
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

I have a lot of contempt for the beta testers who refused to leak this info ngl
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah

Post by macacoalbino »

Amsel_ wrote:The fact that this happened at all is surprising. The fact that it's coming from Microsoft and not some sketchy indie company blows my mind. I think ESOC itself could have made an RTS in Unity or Unreal and it would be more successful than... this.
Honestly, the guys who did all the work patch related in ESOC could offer Microsoft their service (for a price of course) if they wanted to. At this point I'd be more willing to pay for a game released by them instead of spending money on products made by Forgotten Empires and the other companies involved with DE...

Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

fightinfrenchman wrote:I have a lot of contempt for the beta testers who refused to leak this info ngl
What info? The deletion issue seems to be quite rare, it might even be rare enough that devs haven't figured out how to reproduce it.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah

Post by macacoalbino »

harcha wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:I have a lot of contempt for the beta testers who refused to leak this info ngl
What info? The deletion issue seems to be quite rare, it might even be rare enough that devs haven't figured out how to reproduce it.
Yes, not to mention that it seems to have appeared in the second to last patch, a week ago... But never forget that the ear is one of the biggest trolls in here. The master baiter

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

macacoalbino wrote:
harcha wrote:
Yes, not to mention that it seems to have appeared in the second to last patch, a week ago... But never forget that the ear is one of the biggest trolls in here. The master baiter
I'm not a troll anymore
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah

Post by macacoalbino »

And I'm not Brazilian anymore

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

macacoalbino wrote:And I'm not Brazilian anymore
You should update your flag then
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah

Post by macacoalbino »

Tru

Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
macacoalbino wrote:
Show hidden quotes
I'm not a troll anymore
you are a master baiter tho
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

harcha wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes
I'm not a troll anymore
you are a master baiter tho
No not that either. Try again
European Union Scroogie
Lancer
ESO: Scroogie
GameRanger ID: 10056919

Post by Scroogie »

This is the name of the game. Games will always get released way before they're ready, simply because it is most efficient that way. Any bugs can just be patched out, and you wouldnt want to miss out on the early sales right? Besides, when do you do know the game is ready? After the Beta testers have been playing without issues for 1 month? 2months? 6 months? Why not just release the game now and only fix what is required instead of all the potential useless stuff you'd fix in the next months. Not to forget, you're already making money. People posting angrily on the forums are your lab rats, and they do it for free. Why make more content now if you can just make a dlc later? And besides, if the game is a disaster, you would want to stop development for it as early as possible anyways.
If you dont want to get disappointed by a game, dont buy at release date. This is obviously the trap all us nostalgia players and veterans fell into, but it is the truth. In the current situation of easy dlc, patches and hotfixes this is the optimum the gaming industry is unstoppably going to converge into.
And im not saying that's bad, because the technology that creates this situation also brings great benefits. So we just have to adapt to that situation. If consumer habits shift to simply not buy at release date, there might be some behaviour change, but until then, this is the reality we're in.
Me being slightly ahead vs H2O: Image
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah

Post by macacoalbino »

Scroogie wrote: Why not just release the game now ...
A better word would be a draft

Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Re: RESOLVED: possible loss of all personal files upon launching DE

Post by jesus3 »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:How do we know it's actually resolved?
We don't. However, there's been a hotfix patch which may be related to resolving the issue.
I've asked AoE Community Manager on the official forums to clarify what's the current status after said hotfix: https://forums.ageofempires.com/t/game- ... /106134/59
I guess that was their way of telling us that the issue has been fixed. But still, they're really trying to beat around the bush again
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

jesus3 wrote:
EAGLEMUT wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:How do we know it's actually resolved?
We don't. However, there's been a hotfix patch which may be related to resolving the issue.
I've asked AoE Community Manager on the official forums to clarify what's the current status after said hotfix: https://forums.ageofempires.com/t/game- ... /106134/59
I guess that was their way of telling us that the issue has been fixed. But still, they're really trying to beat around the bush again
What was? There is still no response in the thread and it is still pinned, as far as I can see.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
jesus3 wrote:
Show hidden quotes
What was? There is still no response in the thread and it is still pinned, as far as I can see.
oh, I thought that AceCard user is an official spokesperson since his role says "age insider". Apparently that was wrong
Austria OliverP
Skirmisher
ESO: OliverP

Post by OliverP »

jesus3 wrote:
EAGLEMUT wrote:
Show hidden quotes
oh, I thought that AceCard user is an official spokesperson since his role says "age insider". Apparently that was wrong
nah pretty much everyone in this thread is an age insider.
United States of America kevthegooner
Crossbow
ESO: Henry_Knox

Post by kevthegooner »

Scroogie wrote:This is the name of the game. Games will always get released way before they're ready, simply because it is most efficient that way. Any bugs can just be patched out, and you wouldnt want to miss out on the early sales right? Besides, when do you do know the game is ready? After the Beta testers have been playing without issues for 1 month? 2months? 6 months? Why not just release the game now and only fix what is required instead of all the potential useless stuff you'd fix in the next months. Not to forget, you're already making money. People posting angrily on the forums are your lab rats, and they do it for free. Why make more content now if you can just make a dlc later? And besides, if the game is a disaster, you would want to stop development for it as early as possible anyways.
If you dont want to get disappointed by a game, dont buy at release date. This is obviously the trap all us nostalgia players and veterans fell into, but it is the truth. In the current situation of easy dlc, patches and hotfixes this is the optimum the gaming industry is unstoppably going to converge into.
And im not saying that's bad, because the technology that creates this situation also brings great benefits. So we just have to adapt to that situation. If consumer habits shift to simply not buy at release date, there might be some behaviour change, but until then, this is the reality we're in.
This kind of rational, reasoned post should not be tolerated on a gaming forum.
European Union Scroogie
Lancer
ESO: Scroogie
GameRanger ID: 10056919

Post by Scroogie »

kevthegooner wrote: This kind of rational, reasoned post should not be tolerated on a gaming forum.
I'm a conscript flamer :(
Me being slightly ahead vs H2O: Image
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Scroogie wrote:This is the name of the game. Games will always get released way before they're ready, simply because it is most efficient that way. Any bugs can just be patched out, and you wouldnt want to miss out on the early sales right? Besides, when do you do know the game is ready? After the Beta testers have been playing without issues for 1 month? 2months? 6 months? Why not just release the game now and only fix what is required instead of all the potential useless stuff you'd fix in the next months. Not to forget, you're already making money. People posting angrily on the forums are your lab rats, and they do it for free. Why make more content now if you can just make a dlc later? And besides, if the game is a disaster, you would want to stop development for it as early as possible anyways.
I mean, this is true only if it's not too buggy. If you release a game with extremely critical bugs like deleting hundreds of GBs on the user's comp, or even just not registering clicks, crashing constantly, not counting rated games, etc... You just scare away all the new players. Most of us in the community will have the patience to wait for the fixes obviously. But why would the average guy who just decided to buy the game because he liked the graphics keep playing such a buggy game?
They're just gonna get horrible ratings and lose a massive chunk of the playerbase, I don't see how that could be any good.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..