WARNING: possible loss of personal files when playing DE

Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Re: WARNING: possible loss of personal files when playing DE

Post by Riotcoke »

This is why you just release in early access, it actually improves buying confidence and means you can just bullshit about everything that's wrong.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
European Union Scroogie
Lancer
ESO: Scroogie
GameRanger ID: 10056919

Post by Scroogie »

Kaiserklein wrote: I mean, this is true only if it's not too buggy. If you release a game with extremely critical bugs like deleting hundreds of GBs on the user's comp, or even just not registering clicks, crashing constantly, not counting rated games, etc... You just scare away all the new players. Most of us in the community will have the patience to wait for the fixes obviously. But why would the average guy who just decided to buy the game because he liked the graphics keep playing such a buggy game?
They're just gonna get horrible ratings and lose a massive chunk of the playerbase, I don't see how that could be any good.
You're right, they can't make it too buggy, but I think in practice they often will cross that line because they're pressured to release early and maybe made excessive promises. Also when you're remastering a prestigious title you can get away with more because of nostalgia and veteran players having your back early on.
Me being slightly ahead vs H2O: Image
No Flag IsThisGuideGood
Crossbow

Post by IsThisGuideGood »

Is this fix yet or what? Some people are saying it is, but the patch notes seemed almost intentionally vague and appeared to address a different problem.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

IsThisGuideGood wrote:Is this fix yet or what? Some people are saying it is, but the patch notes seemed almost intentionally vague and appeared to address a different problem.
We don't know.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

IsThisGuideGood wrote:Is this fix yet or what? Some people are saying it is, but the patch notes seemed almost intentionally vague and appeared to address a different problem.
It's hard to tell, but I haven't seen any new cases similar to this in the past few days. So maybe it has been fixed, maybe everyone who had the trigger for this issue have already been fucked, maybe there was no issue whatsoever and it was just a coincidence lots of people got a malware at the same time. Just backup your files and make the restoring point to be sure you won't lose any sensitive data

Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Really outside of the deletion of peoples data, which is terrible, this launch has about been in line with what I expected. Buggy as shit but I assume it will get better. Maybe. Hopefully.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah

Post by macacoalbino »

I have no doubt that it will get better, but the lack of communication from the devs is annoying as hell

Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Kaiserklein wrote:But why would the average guy who just decided to buy the game because he liked the graphics keep playing such a buggy game?
Looks like the average guy isn't. Let's hope some patches in the following weeks will turn this graph around. Flatten the curve.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah

Post by macacoalbino »

Isn't this fall expected? Every game has more concurrent players in the release I feel

Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Judging by the fact that the devs are working on something on a Sunday, it seems unlikely that this bug is fixed as of now. I have definitely seen fewer reports of missing data, but that could be due to the warnings. I did see a handful of people complaining about missing data in the official aoe discord but I could not verify these claims.

I would definitely wait for the update this week syncing MS store with Steam at the very least.
No Flag IsThisGuideGood
Crossbow

Post by IsThisGuideGood »

macacoalbino wrote:
It's hard to tell, but I haven't seen any new cases similar to this in the past few days. So maybe it has been fixed, maybe everyone who had the trigger for this issue have already been fucked, maybe there was no issue whatsoever and it was just a coincidence lots of people got a malware at the same time. Just backup your files and make the restoring point to be sure you won't lose any sensitive data
Thanks both for clarifying. Backups are a good idea but I can't justify potentially sacrificing my PC to play a videogame. They already took my money so I've left a negative review and now it's time to wait for a solution, then to wait a bit more to see if the solution actually works. I have no trust in these devs anymore; how many PC games have come out that randomly wipe portions of your PC? And now they seem to care more about covering themselves (by talking about the problem as little as possible) instead of being honest with the fans.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Image

Judging by the fact that the devs are working on something on a Sunday, it seems unlikely that this bug is fixed as of now. I have definitely seen fewer reports of missing data, but that could be due to the warnings. I did see a handful of people complaining about missing data in the official aoe discord but I could not verify these claims.

I would definitely wait for the update this week syncing MS store with Steam at the very least.
I don't think it's uncommon to be working weekends in the game industry, especially at this stage of development
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Goodspeed wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:Image

I don't think it's uncommon to be working weekends in the game industry, especially at this stage of development
That's sad for both reasons.
India drsingh
Dragoon
ESO: drsingh

Post by drsingh »

https://forums.ageofempires.com/t/game- ... 6134/94?u=

Clarification about this issue.
GMEvangelos, post:94, topic:106134, full:true wrote: Hello everyone! I have received clarification from the team about the fix implemented last Friday:

* **Out of an abundance of caution, additional safeguards have been added to the mod manager to ensure player-created mods do not incorrectly alter the expected mod install path and only remove the files included with the mod when unsubscribing / removing them from the game.**

Due to the complexity of the problem noted here, we ask that anyone *directly affected*ā€”not those reporting on behalf of othersā€”[contact our support team](https://support.ageofempires.com/hc/) so they can collect information and work with you directly in regards to the problem you are experiencing.

**Edit:** We also have another update scheduled for later this week with additional safeguards for potential incompatibilities.

Thank you all, again, for your diligence in reporting this issue, as well as your patience as the team works with those affected!
Btw was there any communication by MS with site admins, which caused this thread to be removed from home page?
Austria OliverP
Skirmisher
ESO: OliverP

Post by OliverP »

drsingh wrote:https://forums.ageofempires.com/t/game- ... 6134/94?u=

Clarification about this issue.
GMEvangelos, post:94, topic:106134, full:true wrote: Hello everyone! I have received clarification from the team about the fix implemented last Friday:

* **Out of an abundance of caution, additional safeguards have been added to the mod manager to ensure player-created mods do not incorrectly alter the expected mod install path and only remove the files included with the mod when unsubscribing / removing them from the game.**

Due to the complexity of the problem noted here, we ask that anyone *directly affected*ā€”not those reporting on behalf of othersā€”[contact our support team](https://support.ageofempires.com/hc/) so they can collect information and work with you directly in regards to the problem you are experiencing.

**Edit:** We also have another update scheduled for later this week with additional safeguards for potential incompatibilities.

Thank you all, again, for your diligence in reporting this issue, as well as your patience as the team works with those affected!
Btw was there any communication by MS with site admins, which caused this thread to be removed from home page?
this is getting ridiculous...this answer just shows how incompetent they are. this is basically another message to blame it on the community instead of taking responsibility for their fucking shit game.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

macacoalbino wrote:Isn't this fall expected? Every game has more concurrent players in the release I feel
That's true, but I didn't expect a fall this big. I also expected the fall to stop after the first two weeks, but it doesn't look like that's happening.
Netherlands Vafurx
Crossbow
Donator 02

Post by Vafurx »

Regarding the mod infringement:

"Out of an abundance of caution, additional safeguards have been added to the mod manager to ensure player-created mods do not incorrectly alter the expected mod install path and only remove the files included with the mod when unsubscribing / removing them from the game."

Have we checked if this was even possible with the TAA mod? Because if not, I guess 95% is/was safe anyway.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

edeholland wrote:
macacoalbino wrote:Isn't this fall expected? Every game has more concurrent players in the release I feel
That's true, but I didn't expect a fall this big. I also expected the fall to stop after the first two weeks, but it doesn't look like that's happening.
The data loss issue plays a big role in that, I believe. The insecurity and obscurity of it will persist until a fix that specifically and unmistakably fixes that is being released. And even then, trust in the game and the devs is hugely impacted because of it - that's an issue which is hard to fix.
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

jesus3 wrote:
edeholland wrote:
The data loss issue plays a big role in that, I believe. The insecurity and obscurity of it will persist until a fix that specifically and unmistakably fixes that is being released. And even then, trust in the game and the devs is hugely impacted because of it - that's an issue which is hard to fix.
They dug their own graves :roll:
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

jesus3 wrote:
edeholland wrote:
Yeah, I hope this will be set straight soon so the decline in 3DE players stops.
We also have another update scheduled for later this week with additional safeguards for potential incompatibilities.
It looks like they are working on fixing the issue, but it means the newest patch does not yet have the additional safeguards.
Due to the complexity of the problem noted here, we ask that anyone directly affectedā€”not those reporting on behalf of othersā€”contact our support team 1 so they can collect information and work with you directly in regards to the problem you are experiencing.
Also interesting they don't want people to publicly report it anymore but contact the support team directly instead.
MrBramboy wrote:This is fake news - no other word for it. Not a single report of this bug mentioned uninstalling a mod. Almost all victims reported that they were quick searching when the crash occurred. Not to mention that several new players, who have never touched a mod, also reported this crash.

I didnā€™t think my faith in Microsoft could stoop even lower, but it is clear I was wrong. Iā€™ve worked with middle schoolers who were more professional.
Kek
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: ķŒ€ ķ•˜ģš°ģŠ¤

Post by n0el »

It looks like they are working on fixing the issue, but it means the newest patch does not yet have the additional safeguards.
But it means that the newest patch was intended to address the issue with safeguards.
mad cuz bad
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah

Post by macacoalbino »

edeholland wrote:
Is there any data from the other 2 DE games to compare? It would be a nice study to see our relative position in DE releases :chinese:
jesus3 wrote:The data loss issue plays a big role in that, I believe. The insecurity and obscurity of it will persist until a fix that specifically and unmistakably fixes that is being released. And even then, trust in the game and the devs is hugely impacted because of it - that's an issue which is hard to fix.
Agreed

Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

macacoalbino wrote:
edeholland wrote:
Is there any data from the other 2 DE games to compare? It would be a nice study to see our relative position in DE releases :chinese:
chart.png
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah

Post by macacoalbino »

@edeholland Is this aoe2 data? I suppose the peaks were the weekly patches being released... Am I right?

Bavaria j_t_kirk
ESOC Media Team
Donator 01
ESO: j_t_kirk

Post by j_t_kirk »

macacoalbino wrote:
edeholland wrote:
https://steamcharts.com/cmp/1017900,813780,933110#1m
ImageImageImage