WARNING: possible loss of personal files when playing DE

No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Re: RESOLVED: possible loss of all personal files upon launching DE

Post by helln00 »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:this issue was resolved? how?
from the notes it was a memory leak. tbh I have never have it happened to me so im guessing that the poorly optimised ai was consuming so much crap that it ate files.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

helln00 wrote:
from the notes it was a memory leak. tbh I have never have it happened to me so im guessing that the poorly optimised ai was consuming so much crap that it ate files.
So the people who created the issue just said they fixed it. I'm skeptical
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
helln00 wrote:
So the people who created the issue just said they fixed it. I'm skeptical
Thats why we need to sacrifice a few computers to Microsoft to confirm it, they demand sacrifice
Argentina Jets
Dragoon
ESO: SsJetstream
Clan: FPL

Re: WARNING: possible loss of personal files when playing DE

Post by Jets »

Idk if I should finish my download after reading all this. I'm at 87% but I think I'll play in a few months.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Jets wrote:Idk if I should finish my download after reading all this. I'm at 87% but I think I'll play in a few months.
Ye delete the bad game
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

fightinfrenchman wrote:How do we know it's actually resolved?
We don't. However, there's been a hotfix patch which may be related to resolving the issue.
I've asked AoE Community Manager on the official forums to clarify what's the current status after said hotfix: https://forums.ageofempires.com/t/game- ... /106134/59
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

EAGLEMUT wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:How do we know it's actually resolved?
We don't. However, there's been a hotfix patch which may be related to resolving the issue.
I've asked AoE Community Manager on the official forums to clarify what's the current status after said hotfix: https://forums.ageofempires.com/t/game- ... /106134/59
And they have reacted with radio silence so far
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

Jets wrote:Idk if I should finish my download after reading all this. I'm at 87% but I think I'll play in a few months.
tbh all of the crashes I have seen seems to be AI related. never seen crashes in 1v1
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

I see nowhere in the recent hotfix they fixed this ,not gonna update.
:nwc:
Mongolia badger_prince
Musketeer
ESO: badger_prince

Re: URGENT WARNING: possible loss of all personal files upon launching DE

Post by badger_prince »

Dolan wrote:You really can't trust anyone anymore, not even Microsoft.
This is hilarious.

helln00 wrote:from the notes it was a memory leak.
Memory leaks eat your (past)RAM(i), not your hdd/ssd.
Brazil look
Howdah
ESO: LoOk_tOm

Re: AVISO URGENTE: possível perda de todos os arquivos pessoais ao lançar o DE

Post by look »

Dolan wrote:Game development quality seems to have gone down

If this happened to me, I would check the TOS to see if the company discharged any responsibility for data loss and if this is legally actionable.
If not, I think I'd make sure they get a lot of press for it. Data loss is no joke. Somebody will have to pay for it, if some of those data were valuable and cannot be fully recovered.

You really can't trust anyone anymore, not even Microsoft. I back up all my stuff at least once per week, I don't rely on the recovery system because even that one could malfunction or restore to an older restore point.
External backups on physical disks are still the best.
valuable data is backed up. if not what's the point?
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

I would not assume this issue is resolved without 100% confirmation. The wording is extremely vague and obviously meant to prevent any negligence by admission of guilt. Exoneration clauses are not always legal in the EU and this is not a battle they want to fight out.

Notice how they also shift negligence onto the user: "when using certain mods". This leads me to believe that the issue at hand was not resolved. After all, what collective mods were all the people affected (including random new players who only found our forums due to this issue) using, and why were other people using these collective mods not affected?

Some transparency would be nice, but I suppose that is too much to ask for.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Their strategy seems to be to deny that this ever happened, and to claim that only game-specific files were affected. That also explains why they didn't close down the servers; It wouldn't fit the narrative. Of course it's hard to prove that the game actually caused removal of files completely unrelated to it, so legally that strategy might work but it's some weak fucking sauce.

Imagine this happening in a huge esports title like LoL or CS:GO. The shitstorm would be colossal.
Austria OliverP
Skirmisher
ESO: OliverP

Post by OliverP »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:I would not assume this issue is resolved without 100% confirmation. The wording is extremely vague and obviously meant to prevent any negligence by admission of guilt. Exoneration clauses are not always legal in the EU and this is not a battle they want to fight out.

Notice how they also shift negligence onto the user: "when using certain mods". This leads me to believe that the issue at hand was not resolved. After all, what collective mods were all the people affected (including random new players who only found our forums due to this issue) using, and why were other people using these collective mods not affected?

Some transparency would be nice, but I suppose that is too much to ask for.
ye exactly what i thought when reading the notes.. trying to blame the community for their incompetence

certain mods -- legacy ui tweaks and non-blurry graphics (disable TAA)
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

At this point, I honestly have little reason to believe that the issue is fully resolved.
The hotfix patch claims to be fixing something very specifically about local Steam profile files, rather than files elsewhere on the computer. This may be a part of the issue or not related at all, for all I know.
Meanwhile, the thread about people's files getting deleted from all sorts of places remains a pinned thread on the official forums, with an official response there stating that the team is investigating the issue as top priority.
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: Rohbrot

Post by Rohbrot »

EAGLEMUT wrote:At this point, I honestly have little reason to believe that the issue is fully resolved.
The hotfix patch claims to be fixing something very specifically about local Steam profile files, rather than files elsewhere on the computer. This may be a part of the issue or not related at all, for all I know.
Meanwhile, the thread about people's files getting deleted from all sorts of places remains a pinned thread on the official forums, with an official response there stating that the team is investigating the issue as top priority.
Its pretty sad that they arent in communication with Esoc, while they just fucking implented everything from ep.......
Spain pain train is real
Ireland Snow Lynx
Musketeer

Post by Snow Lynx »

EAGLEMUT wrote:At this point, I honestly have little reason to believe that the issue is fully resolved.
I seen that, and I agree that the problem with it being vague is that it’s too hard to tell whether they’ve solved the issue, and are trying to avoid any blame OR whether they’ve only fixed part of the problem.

And tbh I’m not willing to test it out if it turns out to be the latter. I think we can forgive it for some of the balance issues now, as long as the game doesn’t try to wipe your life away XD
How do you write a signature?
Spain NekoBerk
Lancer
ESO: Nirket

Post by NekoBerk »

I just played today 2 rankeds and both of my disks still full. I didn't have any issue with losing data before tho'
"That's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing
Except for a dream and a fuckin' rap magazine " - Eminem

"And we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street fo sho' " - Kendrick Lamar
India drsingh
Dragoon
ESO: drsingh

Post by drsingh »

NekoBerk wrote:I just played today 2 rankeds and both of my disks still full. I didn't have any issue with losing data before tho'
Don't worry, keep trying and you'll get there... :smile:

Btw
Did anyone playing in single player get affected?
I only heard about this happening during quick search...
Also, did anyone face this whole playing with known friends in lobby?

Maybe like garja said in another thread. Someone is pushing malware through de. They have probably found some security exploit in multiplayer system. We whitelist it in our security software to enable online Play. And that way it gets easy entry...

For more techy people,. Is that possible??
Austria OliverP
Skirmisher

Post by OliverP »

drsingh wrote:
NekoBerk wrote:I just played today 2 rankeds and both of my disks still full. I didn't have any issue with losing data before tho'

Btw

Maybe like garja said in another thread. Someone is pushing malware through de. They have probably found some security exploit in multiplayer system. We whitelist it in our security software to enable online Play. And that way it gets easy entry...

not quick search only. mine like the thread says occured while joining a custom made lobby.. i think all of the cases are multiplayer tho.
India drsingh
Dragoon

Post by drsingh »

Did you know the players in the custom made lobby?? Or some new people.
Austria OliverP
Skirmisher

Post by OliverP »

drsingh wrote:Did you know the players in the custom made lobby?? Or some new people.
not sure who was in there at the exact moment. but i knew atleast 2-3 including the host.. so possibly 1 or 2 randoms
India drsingh
Dragoon

Post by drsingh »

If only you got affected out of the others. Then fault can be only at the games end..
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

interesting cause the only times I have ever crashed in multiplayer is during team games and comp stomps. even then I haven lost anything as far as I can tell.

QS at 1v1 and 2v2 doesnt seem to result in crashes either thus far
Spain NekoBerk
Lancer
ESO: Nirket

Post by NekoBerk »

drsingh wrote:

Btw

I've been playing Single player much more than multiplayer so it might be someone spreading a malware or something thanks to P2P connection and since i've been playing more single player and 1v1 i haven't encountered any problem. By the way, the only thing i noticed since the day the game came out is that Age 3 DE takes some space from my C Drive when running even tho' I have it installed in my D Drive but I think this is normal.
"That's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing
Except for a dream and a fuckin' rap magazine " - Eminem

"And we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street fo sho' " - Kendrick Lamar