3v3 Tournament Hosted by RøyaL Clan

Canada vividlyplain
Lancer
ESO: vividlyplain

Re: 3v3 Tournament Hosted by RøyaL Clan

Post by vividlyplain »

edeholland wrote:Where can I find the updated brackets?
I’ll update here as soon as I receive them. I don’t think they’re using anything like challonge.
United States of America KnArLoC
Crossbow
ESO: KnArLoC

Post by KnArLoC »

Kyo_ wrote:1v1s 2v2s and 3v3s are very different games. Being good in 1v1 doesn't guarantee being good in 3v3, and vice versa. I've consistently lost to pr 20s in 1v1, but have also consistently beaten pr 40s in 3v3s. That being said, it is funny how the weaker captains keep winning their games. The balance system in this tournament is glaringly flawed. I hope they don't allow players below pr 28-29 in the next tournament.
Don't the lower rated captains get earlier picks? That's the nature of the draft to help equalize teams, so it shouldn't be surprising that some lower captains would have a chance to win games? Also unlike a pro league draft in sports, some people don't know each other and thus aren't fully informed and that is a factor, perhaps one person is better or worse than their DE team elo indicates and that affects balance.

However, in the future perhaps this tourney would've been better as a 3-tier tournament instead of an upper and lower bracket. So there would be a top tier Ro8 tournament with 8 captains, a mid-tier Ro8 tournament, and a low-tier Ro8 tournament. Tournament games could be adjusted to Bo5 or round robin to compensate for the smaller # of teams per tournament. Something to think about.
Canada vividlyplain
Lancer

Post by vividlyplain »

Sure, if we were going for an elite tier of players we would have restricted the number of teams in the upper bracket. The focus wasn’t to have only elite players compete for the top prize, however. This isn’t an ESOC tourney.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

gibson wrote:
Hazza54321 wrote:no way can 3 pr29s beat 2 pr28 + pr40, the pr40 could almost 1v2 in a 3v3 setting
Jailed tournament finals would beg to differ, also that’s just not right, I feel confident that I could hold my own vs a pr40 with a 10 percent handicap and 2 of me would shit on anyone easily.
Tbf those games weren't prepared at all. Also, I wouldn't say your teammates were pr 29. So the comparison isn't the best. There was a ton of laming going on aswell.It was a close series.
United States of America KnArLoC
Crossbow
ESO: KnArLoC

Post by KnArLoC »

vividlyplain wrote:Sure, if we were going for an elite tier of players we would have restricted the number of teams in the upper bracket. The focus wasn’t to have only elite players compete for the top prize, however. This isn’t an ESOC tourney.
Of course, thanks for hosting it. While there might be more balance issues, its nice to have an event where more people in the community can actually participate in and play.
No Flag uberjz
Dragoon
ESO: WoodPusher

Post by uberjz »

captain/captain/captain is just a better team comp than lieut/lieut/pr35+. In team games you are often dragged down by your lowest member. Psychologically, that factor creates resentment on the part of the "high" player on the team, which only makes a bad situation worse
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

2 gibsons with a 10% handicap would be unstoppable
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

uberjz wrote:captain/captain/captain is just a better team comp than lieut/lieut/pr35+. In team games you are often dragged down by your lowest member. Psychologically, that factor creates resentment on the part of the "high" player on the team, which only makes a bad situation worse
Idk, from my 20 games experience, it very different if the best player are the one making cav.
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

princeofkabul wrote:
and this...
Three pr 28 players if they play together more could prob beat pr 40 with 2 pr28
okay then
You don't think 3 pr 28 who know each other's games and with a plan can beat a pr 40 that randomly plays with a couple of random pr 28s?

I've been in games where a colonel+ with 2 capts have lost to random 3 capts
Indonesia jumhana
Crossbow

Post by jumhana »

I'm actually just wondering. Can an elite player play 1vs2 against two pr25 and win? No matter how good your micro is your opponent will almost have the twice resources as you. In addition, each player can just focus their macro making one type of unit. I guess since Kaiserklein literally won against a map hacker he would just stomp 2 pr25 players.
France chronique
Advanced Player

Post by chronique »

jumhana wrote:I'm actually just wondering. Can an elite player play 1vs2 against two pr25 and win? No matter how good your micro is your opponent will almost have the twice resources as you. In addition, each player can just focus their macro making one type of unit. I guess since Kaiserklein literally won against a map hacker he would just stomp 2 pr25 players.
I don't think you can hold double double rax jan, maybe kynesis on water map but other than that you can't deal with 40 jan under your tc min 6
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

2 pr25 is a lot tbh. A pr40 can probably defeat 2 pr20, maybe pr22 but not higher. Also it depends on their strategy, if they both go for an all in rush you probably can't hold.
Canada vividlyplain
Lancer

Post by vividlyplain »

I’m curious when we will start using ELO instead of PR.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

pr is just so much more convenient
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
No Flag Cleters
Skirmisher
ESO: Cleters

Post by Cleters »

vividlyplain wrote:I’m curious when we will start using ELO instead of PR.
Canada vividlyplain
Lancer

Post by vividlyplain »

harcha wrote:pr is just so much more convenient
Sure, and I find myself using it too. I'm honestly just curious when the majority will make the switch. Vanilla pr eventually became irrelevent with TAD and the aoe2 community uses their DE elo now which is different than voobly elo. Although I'm sure it's easier to just switch to a different elo than pr to elo, it's eventually going to happen.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Pr is convenient because it’s what we’re used to and it’s out frame of reference for someone’s skill. In reality elo is better and more accurately portrays how someone is playing at that time.
France chronique
Advanced Player

Post by chronique »

elo is too versatil
No Flag _tank
Musketeer
ESO: _tank

Post by _tank »

The team elo implementation used by DE is actually terrible, it doesn't seem to take in to account the rating of your team mates so it inflates the rating of lower rated players teaming with higher rated teammates and is easily abused with premade teams, which seems to have tricked some of the captains in this tourney when they were drafting players. Not sure about 1v1 elo but lots of people don't play 1v1

PR is also pretty shit due to decay (everyone above PR 25 in the past and now is only playing DE is now pr 25) and now a lack of competition which will inflate the rating of people who are still active on TAD like what happened to vanilla in the past. I don't understand how PR is even being used by people to describe people's skill outside of "what PR people were when DE came out", which doesn't apply to people who weren't playing TAD when DE came out (old/new players), or anyone who has improved since DE

I guess in either case you have somewhat inactive players who's current rating is lower than their "skill level"
-professional teamgame player
Canada vividlyplain
Lancer

Post by vividlyplain »

We will be casting the the series played by @WickedCossack 's team and @theonlybaus 's team in 1 hour from this post here!
https://www.twitch.tv/royalclanaoe
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

very unfare how kaisters team was treated TBH
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Waiting for an explanation on why the player “She said she was 18”s team was penalized for no reason @edwardteatx