Age of Empires: Fan Preview Trailer for April 10th

Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Re: Age of Empires: Fan Preview Trailer for April 10th

Post by princeofcarthage »

I would be pretty disappointed tbh if aoe 4 doesn't make use of terrain mechanics, better city/wall mechanics, and unit morale system + other stuff.. From purely fighting pov aoe 3 and aoe 2 are pretty backward compared to say something like total war. Even rome total war had unit morale system.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

princeofcarthage wrote:I would be pretty disappointed tbh if aoe 4 doesn't make use of terrain mechanics, better city/wall mechanics, and unit morale system + other stuff.. From purely fighting pov aoe 3 and aoe 2 are pretty backward compared to say something like total war. Even rome total war had unit morale system.
idk, that stuff doesn't feel very aoe to me.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Squamiger wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:I would be pretty disappointed tbh if aoe 4 doesn't make use of terrain mechanics, better city/wall mechanics, and unit morale system + other stuff.. From purely fighting pov aoe 3 and aoe 2 are pretty backward compared to say something like total war. Even rome total war had unit morale system.
idk, that stuff doesn't feel very aoe to me.
well every game should be bit different and should have improvements over earlier one. Home city in aoe 3 wasn't very aoe until aoe 3 came out.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I wont be disappointed. It might not be my dream rts but I will enjoy a new triple a rts regardless.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

gibson wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:Man, aoe4 looks so good still. Cant wait for the 10th of April.
Prepare for disappointment
I think the disappointment comes when they deliver what they promise.
First they hype us to increase our expectation levels and break our hearts only after the cash is in they account :cry:

Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

lemmings121 wrote:pulltrick is there!
Cant wait to fight turbo cannons in another malfunctioning game!

Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

macacoalbino wrote:
lemmings121 wrote:pulltrick is there!
Cant wait to fight turbo cannons in another malfunctioning game!
its turbo mangonels now.
Canada Cocaine
Lancer
ESO: Cow God

Post by Cocaine »

gibson wrote:
Cocaine wrote:Honestly, new clip for aoe4 great.. Nothing else is mentioned about DLC, I assume this is all aoe4 reveal and nothing to do with the previous games.

NVM JUST watched it again. I guess we are getting a DLC lol NEW CIVS!
You aren’t getting shit, you very proudly told us how you refunded the game as they wouldn’t allow for your monster truck hacks
LOL you realize this makes me laugh right? Thank you for being my fan. They hate us cuz they aint us.. <3 You aint big until you got haters.
A little Cocaine never hurt nobody!

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Cocaine wrote:
gibson wrote:
Cocaine wrote:Honestly, new clip for aoe4 great.. Nothing else is mentioned about DLC, I assume this is all aoe4 reveal and nothing to do with the previous games.

NVM JUST watched it again. I guess we are getting a DLC lol NEW CIVS!
You aren’t getting shit, you very proudly told us how you refunded the game as they wouldn’t allow for your monster truck hacks
LOL you realize this makes me laugh right? Thank you for being my fan. They hate us cuz they aint us.. <3 You aint big until you got haters.
This post is legitimately cringe
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: _NiceKING_
GameRanger ID: 9999999
Clan: Xbox

Post by _NiceKING_ »

A new DLC for AoE3DE was detected on SteamDB a few hours ago. Code name: Buffalo.
Attachments
C6886CE2-7041-48BE-B6CC-1F8508EF46BC.jpeg
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Cocaine wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Basement people are cringe
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

rsy wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Basement people are cringe
That's just not even true tbh
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

aaryngend wrote:This is surprising because it entails all the modern age games. I thought their next preview like this would be aoe4 only.
Looks like this is an age of empires only event. Id guess that they're going to show a cinematic aoe4 trailer (based on the little bit of an axe chopping a block of wood in this video, why else would they show that? Seems completely irrelevant otherwise), aoe4 gameplay (there are already some snippets of aoe4 gameplay in there), they might reveal some civs and have a discussion session about those civs and then (or maybe before the main aoe4 show) give some minor aoe2/3 updates. Im fucking hyped, aoe is getting so much attention with this.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Astaroth wrote:Why does Aoe4 have to be so stylized graphically? No other AoE game aside from AoEO has been this stylized. In contrast, aoe2 and aoe3 look quite realistic.

Quite sad imo. I know it's just graphics, but it doesn't feel like aoe to me.
I think it looks so pretty. It looks very nice and clear from a gameplay perspective too. I always feel like hyperrealism ends up looking like a poor attempt at realism, where more stylized graphics just look good.
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

I guess we will have to wait and see how the finished product looks. In motion it also looks a bit better than in screenshots.

Generally, I'm just not a big fan of this stylised look, particularly for RTS-games. I never played Warcraft 3 much for that reason. I think AoE2, AoE3 and also games like Cossacks or Stronghold 1 and Crusader looked amazing (for their time - I also realize they are mostly 2D, aside from AoE3). I just don't like the colorful, slightly exaggerated, overwatch-esque style that much.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Wish we could go back to the dictator Zoi days.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

Apart from DLCs for 2 and 3, I expect an actual roadmap with a timeline, so we can finally know what to expect in the future.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

aaryngend wrote:Apart from DLCs for 2 and 3, I expect an actual roadmap with a timeline, so we can finally know what to expect in the future.
Tbh I wouldnt be too surprised if fall 2021 is the release date of aoe4
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

0:22 those blue units up front are on a move command right?
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

Exciting! From what I see the graphics are perfect.... that can always change with user settings like DE, which looks good on a super computer, but fuzzy on anything less.

The prospect of a DLC? awesome... better have an African civ.

One short clip seems to be a jousting arena, maybe this is a time to micro type feature. They sure do not like to give us much to process.

Some things I noticed:

pikemen
halberdiers
square shield and sword inf
round sword and shield inf
knight
lightly armored lancer
archers.

pikemen might be able to attack from behind a unit?
Australia Joshua667746
ESOC Media Team
ESO: GandalfTheWhite7

Post by Joshua667746 »

would the community switch over to aoe4 if its good enough? like if the aoe2 community went too, like would we just merge esoc to be for aoe4, or would the leaders of each community try and form a new community? just curious, like how will tourneys be held, how will sites be managed etc, like it would suck if the community of aoe3 split again to aoe4, like most should move or none at all, idk just hoping ppl come from aoe2 and aoe3 together to make the community bigger
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

GandolfTheWhite7 wrote:would the community switch over to aoe4 if its good enough? like if the aoe2 community went too, like would we just merge esoc to be for aoe4, or would the leaders of each community try and form a new community? just curious, like how will tourneys be held, how will sites be managed etc, like it would suck if the community of aoe3 split again to aoe4, like most should move or none at all, idk just hoping ppl come from aoe2 and aoe3 together to make the community bigger

I think all iterations will still have followers. Aoe2 fans never switched to Aoe 3 seemingly because of not liking new features and sticking to the nostalgia. I think because in the announcement also, with news for all 3 games, Microsoft is planning for long lived versions of all its games.

There may be a changing of the guard so to speak, as players may switch over to the new game. Or maybe the site could expand to include all of them. I hope that is the case.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I think part of the player base of both 2 and 3 will stay for the nostalgia, but it's probably a relatively small part. A much larger fraction of both communities will switch IF AoE4 is good enough.

At the end of the day AoE3 was just not good enough to make everyone switch. I think what happened when people tried it is they ran into some of the design flaws and balance issues, ended up quitting and when asked why they did, they of course didn't really know so they blamed the new stuff. More likely to me is that people went back to AoE2 because of AoE3's focus on military versus economy/base building, poor water design, other design choices like useless static defense and the snare effect etc, and perhaps most importantly civ balance being a mess from the beginning. The HC mechanic just becomes a scapegoat because people didn't understand the game well enough to really know why they didn't like it.

AoE4 might be good enough, but it seems unlikely. Making a good RTS is really hard and at this point it's hard to believe that modern game devs are actually capable of it.
Great Britain thomasgreen6
Lancer
ESO: Thomasgreen6

Post by thomasgreen6 »

Goodspeed wrote:I think part of the player base of both 2 and 3 will stay for the nostalgia, but it's probably a relatively small part. A much larger fraction of both communities will switch IF AoE4 is good enough.

At the end of the day AoE3 was just not good enough to make everyone switch. I think what happened when people tried it is they ran into some of the design flaws and balance issues, ended up quitting and when asked why they did, they of course didn't really know so they blamed the new stuff. More likely to me is that people went back to AoE2 because of AoE3's extreme focus on military versus economy/base building, poor water design, other design choices like useless static defense and the snare effect etc, and perhaps most importantly civ balance being a mess from the beginning. The HC mechanic just becomes a scapegoat because people didn't understand the game well enough to really know why they didn't like it.

AoE4 might be good enough, but it seems unlikely. Making a good RTS is really hard and at this point it's hard to believe that modern game devs are actually capable of it.
I don't know. A lot of people specifically mention the tempo change and differing dynamics from having a deck and cards a well as a lot of the things you mentioned, so I think the deck mechanic did put enough people off the game. I agree although Relic are probably some of the best contenders that stand a chance of making something good.
'I'm gonna win this and I'm just gonna enjoy it' - Tibia 2k18

http://www.Twitch.tv/thomasgreen6
Austria Jerimuno
Advanced Player
ESO: Jerimuno
GameRanger ID: 9241516

Post by Jerimuno »

fully agree with every point gs has made