Post by Nathan_Drake98 »

These maps look horrible, no way I play on this patch
United States of America site
Lancer
Donator 01
ESO: site

Re: Small ESOC Patch Update

Post by site »

Perhaps instead of everyone being judgmental pricks about these maps you can appreciate the hours of hard work that go in to each one. If you don't like them, perhaps you could just not play them - instead of spouting this shit about the maps being no good. The map team, and every team for that matter, consists of volunteers. This attitude of disrespect towards them is really discouraging.

Just because a map isn't "standard" doesn't mean it's not good.

This is quite simple - if you don't like it, don't play on it.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

Back to the topic, I really liked Lake Tahoe. It's just I'd like it to have a water hc spawn point. It feels awkward to promote water play and don't have such a point.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by site »

BrookG wrote:Back to the topic, I really liked Lake Tahoe. It's just I'd like it to have a water hc spawn point. It feels awkward to promote water play and don't have such a point.

Yeah playing water without a spawn point is interesting. It's harder to defend your eco without like the frigate or caravel shipment.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

I'm a lower level player so maybe that's why, but I don't have a problem with the new maps at all. On the contrary, I like them. I like their atypical form, I like that map makers are trying to bring something different to the table. It reminds me a bit of starcraft and how atypical maps are nice there as well.

I think Aoe3 is an incredibly deep game. The new maps don't mean that player A gets an auto-win over player B. However they do mean that both players need to take a look at the map and adapt to it. The better player wins, which is why I also don't really believe in balance, at least not until Pr40. Anything under than that and players are doing things wrong which loses them the game - not the civ they chose or the map.

I also think that people saying "maps sucks" should be saying more. Go into details as to why you don't like the maps, what could be improved, etc. Otherwise it's only negative. There's such a thing as constructive feedback. :)
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by site »

kami_ryu wrote:I'm a lower level player so maybe that's why, but I don't have a problem with the new maps at all. On the contrary, I like them. I like their atypical form, I like that map makers are trying to bring something different to the table. It reminds me a bit of starcraft and how atypical maps are nice there as well.

I think Aoe3 is an incredibly deep game. The new maps don't mean that player A gets an auto-win over player B. However they do mean that both players need to take a look at the map and adapt to it. The better player wins, which is why I also don't really believe in balance, at least not until Pr40. Anything under than that and players are doing things wrong which loses them the game - not the civ they chose or the map.

I also think that people saying "maps sucks" should be saying more. Go into details as to why you don't like the maps, what could be improved, etc. Otherwise it's only negative. There's such a thing as constructive feedback. :)

I agree with a lot of this.

I think balance affects players earlier than PR 40 though. I'd argue that Captains and Majors feel the balance changes. PR 26+.

You're totally right about lower PR making mistakes so the balance changes don't matter as much, that describes me perfectly. :D
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

Sure the changes can be felt, certainly on RE if you're playing the best civ against the weakest civ. However on the EP, balance is much closer and player skill is much more prevalent in how the game goes. You could give H2O pretty much any civ against a PR35 and he'll win regardless of what the other guy plays.

I think it's very detrimental to any player looking to be good at the game to blame the outcome on civ balance or maps. I think this is an unpopular opinion here, but I come from SC2 which is razor-sharp in terms of balance. So I am predisposed to first look at what I'm doing wrong as a player before even thinking about the rest.
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

Water play is viable on Lake Tahoe, only because you can fish KINGofOsmane's avatar :ship: :smile:
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

New maps look great, i have played only a bit in them so far, but they look interesting.

Lake tahoe looks... Hard. Maybe thats why some people dont like it, its just very different. But imo thats good, let's explore those maps, if after a bunch of games we decide that the meta in them isnt as good thats fine, for now its a new and fresh air to the game. #enoughGP

About balance sub pr40.. i agree that in most games the mistakes made by us are far more relevant then the balance... But at the same time, there are things like 10/10 vs sioux that feel just wrong.

Imo having our balance patch is good because balance its better, but has brought a huge problem: you almost dont see people anymore discussing "hey how to counter x strat with y civ", now the posts are more about "x strat is a free win, lets nerf it next patch".
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

OK I make exceptions on when you can blame the map for a loss: Image
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

OZARKS BEST MAP WUT YOU TALKING BOUT
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Dsy wrote:So basicly Ryan hates everyone?:D
No, that's Goodspeed...
Spain yoqpasa
Lancer
ESO: yoqpasa

Post by yoqpasa »

When you play Japan only 1 orchard spawns on Herald Island...Was it on purpose? @Rikikipu