ESOC Grand Tour Season 1 Information

April 8th, 2018 — July 2nd, 2018
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

ESOC Grand Tour Season 1 Information

Post by Cometk »

What is the ESOC Grand Tour?

The ESOC Grand Tour is a series of tournaments that are hosted in one day on the weekend. Tournaments consist of new and different formats each week. The rules for a given event will be posted each week before the sign ups open. Season 1 of the ESOC Grand Tour will contain eight events, after which a Playoffs will be held among the top eight scoring players. Your hosts for this season are @Cometk and @princeofcarthage.

How to Sign Up For a Tournament

- Unless otherwise specified, the sign ups for any Weekend Tournament will begin at 15:00 GMT Monday and end at 18:30 GMT on Friday.
- Brackets will be posted as soon as possible after sign-ups close, usually Friday evening.
- To participate in any Weekend Tournament, you must be a member of the tournament discord and be present the time of event start.

Point System

A system of tallied points is used over the course of the Season. Over the eight events of the tour, players must rack up as many points as they possibly can. After the conclusion of the eighth event, the top eight players will be invited to participate in a single-elimination playoffs to determine the winner of the season! For each round you win, you will receive points for your tour record; each successive round is worth more points. If you lose a match, you do not lose any points. Points are awarded as shown below.

Your total points for the season will be based solely on your 3 best tournament performances. This means that if you don't like a particular week's event, or are busy and can't make the tournament, you can skip a week without falling behind other players. For example, if you collect 5, 5, 5, 3, and 2 points over five events while missing three events, you will have a total of 15 points at the end of the season (5 + 5 + 5).

Follow this link to view the standings of the ESOC Grand Tour Season 1!

Season 1 Schedule

Event 1 - April 8th, 2018 - $150 Sup Cup #1
Event 2 - April 22nd, 2018 - $200 Mono-Civ Cup
Event 3 - April 29th, 2018 - $150 Deathmatch Open
Event 4 - May 6th, 2018 - $150 2v2 Tour
Event 5 - May 19th, 2018 - $150 Sup Cup #2
Event 6 - May 26th, 2018 - $100 Blitz Bash
Event 7 - June 3rd, 2018 - $100 Fort Frenzy
Event 8 - June 10th, 2018 - $150 Sup Cup #3
Single-elimination Playoffs - June 12th through June 24th

Playoffs Format

At the end of the eighth event of the season, the top eight players in points will be asked to compete in the Single-elimination Playoffs. The quarter-finals and semi-finals will be played as Best-of-5's, and the finals will be played as a Best-of-9.

[spoiler=More info on Playoffs]For the quarter-finals and semi-finals, the map pool will be comprised of 7 maps. Similar to the 2v2 Tour, for the first game players will veto maps in alternating fashion until just one map remains. The remaining map will be the one played for Game 1. After Game 1, the winner of the previous match will ban a single map from the map pool. The loser of the previous match will then select a map from the remaining pool to be played and the winner will lock his civilization. The loser will then choose his civilization and the next game will commence.

The finals map pool will be comprised of 13 maps. After each game, the winner of the previous match is entitled to ban two maps from the map pool before his opponent's selection.

"
Example map pool: Alaska / Bengal / Colorado / Florida / Manchac / Tibet / Wadmalaw

Player A has the higher seeding and vetoes first.
- Player A bans Alaska
/ Player B bans Wadmalaw
- Player A bans Bengal
/ Player B bans Tibet
- Player A bans Colorado
/ Player B bans Manchac
Last remaining map is Florida
Players agree to play Aztec vs China
Game 1 commences as Aztec vs China on Florida

- Player A wins Game 1 on Florida
- Player A bans Wadmalaw from the map pool
/ Player B selects Tibet as map
- Player A selects Russia as civ
/ Player B selected British as civ
Game 2 commences as Russia vs British on Tibet
"

There will be no civilization resets during a series. After you've used a civilization, it may not be used again. The full map pool for the tournament will be posted at the beginning of the EGT Playoffs.

/////[/spoiler]
Ideally, we would like the Quarters and Semis to be played on one weekend, with the top bracket streamed on ESOCTV and the bottom bracket streamed on ESOCTV2. The Best-of-9 Finals will be played on the following weekend and casted by _H2O and Interjection.

The winner of the playoffs will be crowned the Grand Tour Champion!
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Re: ESOC Grand Tour Season 1 Information

Post by gibson »

nice try but i dont trust anyone with that weebo shit as an avatar
Croatia gryphoon94
Skirmisher
ESO: GRYPHOON

Post by gryphoon94 »

gibson wrote:nice try but i dont trust anyone with that weebo shit as an avatar

Dude its 2018
"I only used Moesbar for 2 years, that's not even long" - SirMusket
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

gibson wrote:nice try but i dont trust anyone with that weebo shit as an avatar

@ESO-C News bot is already rebelling so humans must do the job again
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

i love how he sneaked in a deathmatch cup for the 1 player dm scene. Anyways probably wont be participating in anyone of these.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

lordraphael wrote:i love how he sneaked in a deathmatch cup for the 1 player dm scene. Anyways probably wont be participating in anyone of these.

Collected enough of those badges eh?
oranges.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

lordraphael wrote:i love how he sneaked in a deathmatch cup for the 1 player dm scene. Anyways probably wont be participating in anyone of these.

thats tough considering you already participated in one. why change yo mind raging rappamas?
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

B-but... how will I get my revenge! :(
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

edited the point system a little bit to be more rewarding for ro8/ro4 players
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

revised the rules for the playoffs - threw out the idea of players choosing gamemodes. instead, it will be purely supremacy.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player

Post by lordraphael »

ha im not even in top 6. sad
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player

Post by lordraphael »

imo it would be wiser to pick tourney winners and have them battle it out. If one player wins more than one titles the subsequent player should get in, alternatively you could still keep the point system and award the vacant spot to the player with the most points who hasnt won a tourney.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

lordraphael wrote:imo it would be wiser to pick tourney winners and have them battle it out. If one player wins more than one titles the subsequent player should get in, alternatively you could still keep the point system and award the vacant spot to the player with the most points who hasnt won a tourney.

Someone wants a spot in playoffs despite playing in only one round... :dry:
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player

Post by lordraphael »

princeofcarthage wrote:
lordraphael wrote:imo it would be wiser to pick tourney winners and have them battle it out. If one player wins more than one titles the subsequent player should get in, alternatively you could still keep the point system and award the vacant spot to the player with the most points who hasnt won a tourney.

id argue that winning one tourney is more worth than placing 3 3 4 4 in 4 tourneys
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

The weird thing about the point system is that there've been two sup cups, a dm one, a 2v2 one and a treaty one upcoming too. I think it might be better to just split the competition.
Netherlands blackwidow
Dragoon
ESO: MASTERdutch

Post by blackwidow »

Why argue for a split competition when the entire point is having an all-round format?
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

lordraphael wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:

id argue that winning one tourney is more worth than placing 3 3 4 4 in 4 tourneys

If u had read the rules youd know that only the top3 performances count. And imo the way it works now is fine, similar to sc2 world series where a premium win would be like 2k, but someone with one win might still be pushed out of the world cup by someone with a lot of 3rd places.

I do agree that the weighting is a bit off, and 1st place wins receive too few points compared to 3/4th. Maybe 1st place should get 2 more points, but not much more.

How does it work with team cups btw? Only captain gets the points? Do they share? Or both get full points? Imo should be first or perhaps 2nd but not last. 4 out of 6 spots go to the 2v2 tournament, i think thats a bit too much. Thats 18 points for 2v2 finals compared to 11 for 11. Imo they should get 12 total, so 6 each. Maybe 7 at most.
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

umeu wrote:How does it work with team cups btw? Only captain gets the points? Do they share? Or both get full points? Imo should be first or perhaps 2nd but not last. 4 out of 6 spots go to the 2v2 tournament, i think thats a bit too much. Thats 18 points for 2v2 finals compared to 11 for 11. Imo they should get 12 total, so 6 each. Maybe 7 at most.

a 50-player tournament would normally warrant the score bracket of 40-55 players. however, for the team cup, using that specific score bracket would mean that some of the pre-seeded teams get 3 points without even winning a single match. so what i did is knock it down a tier to the 28-39 score bracket. both players on the winning team got 9 points, second place team got 7 points, the two semi-finalist teams got 5 points, and so on. this brings it closest in line to what a 1v1 tournament's scoring would be like.

I do agree that the weighting is a bit off, and 1st place wins receive too few points compared to 3/4th. Maybe 1st place should get 2 more points, but not much more.

i agree that it might be a bit off, but i quite like that 2nd place, q4 and ro8 wins still feel rewarding to players. it might mean that the best-of-the-best won't make it to the playoffs, but on the other hand it rewards the consistent players, as well as the most active ones, which is important given how many tournaments there are! this also gives room for some surprises to happen when it comes to the end of the season. there may be some players who sneak up in the standings and end up earning a spot in the playoffs, which is an element i really like.

i also initially wanted the grand tour to be something that rewarded players who were skilled in all gamemodes. but i kinda changed my mind on that after the lowish turnout of the deathmatch tournament (which still ended up being a good event!) i realized that, even with a relatively large prizepool, a lot of players don't care or feel motivated to compete in these sort of events. besides that, there isn't enough time to practice for them, so it most rewards the players who are already good at these niche gamemodes. however, i think it's very valuable to host these events, as it's good to highlight the diversity of the game as well as bring in new users and players from the community who may not care as much to compete in the supremacy-oriented stuff.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

lordraphael wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:

Pretty much all "Season finals" rewards consistency, it also functions as an incentive for players to participate in all rounds.
[Sith] - Baphomet
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

well i mean there's merit to raphs idea. but its a different idea. you can have like a season playoffs, where the most consistent/most participating teams get to play.
or you can have a champions tournament (like the confederations cup) where only the winners of certain tournaments/leagues get to play, and it's based solely on that one tournament run, not on anything else.

they can't really be combined, but just because you have one, doesn't mean you can't have the other.