This Year's Autumn Tournament Will Use EP ELO

France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Re: This Year's Autumn Tournament Will Use EP ELO

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Papist wrote:
gibson wrote:You guys are also conveniently ignoring the fact that many top players play 90% unrated games.

Well unrated games don't apply to RE ELO either so idk what point you're trying to make with this. Also, the entire point of unrated games are that they don't affect your rank, so why would they affect your seeding in a tournament?

The point is that you seed people based on skill level, and there's no need to explain why blackstar_op should be automatically qualified. Of course you need to have an objective way to select players, that's why you should use EP elo, jap elo AND recent tournament results.
Besides, I think you didn't consider that, but not seeding a player doesn't just bother the player, it ruins the tournament, because in ESOC tournaments, the staff tries to make sure top players don't meet too early. If you put bsop in group stages, he's likely going to face a top player in RO32, then in RO16 and so on.
Would you want bsop vs Raphael in RO32 bo5 and bsop vs _H2O in RO16 bo5 because you were either too stubborn or too lazy to understand that seeding people randomly ends up ruining a tournament?

It's just dumb to base seeding on recent activity when we already have 8 years of elo on a patch that's 10 times as active.

This is an EP tournament. It makes no sense to seed people in an EP tournament using RE stats.

Well it makes sense as it counts every game people have ever played, and thus shows their real level (though there's the issue with inactive players).

edeholland wrote:Not sure about that. I really want older, inactive pro's to join, and if they have to bash 5 noobs before they can seriously play in a tournament, that might be a reason not to join. For people like Blackstar, Samwise, Veni etc I would like them to join even if that means they have to get a manual seed.

If a playing a few extra games is going to prevent them from joining, they probably didn't want to play that badly to begin with. Giving special treatment is disrespectful to people who have been actively playing and improving, and will create entitlement.
It's not just a few extra games, it's like 20, and you probably don't understand that getting a game is super hard, especially on the EP. It surely hasn't changed since I left, but I used to wait more than 30min to find a game on the RE vs a pr26+, let it alone on the EP vs people with a good elo.
Finally, to practice in tournaments, you don't want to play rated games on random games and with everybody seeing your game stats, you want to play unrated games with comps to hide your stats.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

umeu wrote:
momuuu wrote:
gibson wrote:You guys are also conveniently ignoring the fact that many top players play 90% unrated games. It's just dumb to base seeding on recent activity when we already have 8 years of elo on a patch that's 10 times as active.

Id argue jp elo struggles with deflation. Right now 2400 elo would be very high but many players used to get to 2500+ and that, combined with inactivity, is actually distorting ranks a lot. I think the fresh esoc RE ELO is actually the most accurate system right now.

Have u actually looked at it lol? Its clearly the worst. There are hackers and smurfs only pretty much, and half of them never play ep or participate in tournaments

Its true. Surprising to me. I feel like that unfortunately means there is no truly good skill measure then (although, a combination of EP+RE is of interest to me).

Part of my wonders if upping the pr restriction for tournaments and then throwing all players into group stages might be better nowadays. That will at least slightly smoothen out poor seeding.
No Flag benjamind7777
Crossbow
ESO: benjamind77

Post by benjamind7777 »

how do we join?
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

benjamind7777 wrote:how do we join?

“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

Meh you faster :/
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Jp is just more accurate, im ranked 9 on ep whilst playing like 30 games lol
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

stop ruining donald_trump!
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Hazza54321 wrote:Jp is just more accurate, im ranked 9 on ep whilst playing like 30 games lol

What rank should you be then :hmm:
Image Image Image
France Aykin Haraka
Howdah
EWT
ESO: aykin

Post by Aykin Haraka »

you have just ton win 10 - 15 games on EP ELO and reach the first page
this is stupid
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

Remember that it's just for preseeding players, so it's just a way to involve more people playing the esoc patch, while still allowing everyone to sign-up. Keep it positive !
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

Okay I am gonna try to put my thoughts on here too.

This tournament is like a fresh restart. Once we finish this tournament, they are probably gonna use the results people get to seed them for the next tournament. One of the goals with the current seeding process is to generate more games on the EP which makes sense considering you have to play to get a better rating. Having said that, for the people who are in the top 5 or so right now, the risk to reward for playing rated vs a lower ranked player is too high. Like why would people up there even play anybody rn for a rated game let alone blackstar? So, in fact this might actually even reduce the number of people playing rated games on the EP. This is seen in the case of guillenills who hasn't played a rated game on ep in all of 2018 but is in top 16.

We could probably bend the rules for specific cases that are well known to the community like any of the guys ede mentioned. But then it wouldn't necessarily be fair to the players who worked hard to get to a 1800 rating but didn't make the top 16 cut. I don't honestly see a solution that will make everyone happy and is completely fair so I'm fine with whatever the big bosses decide.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

The only real problem I have with this is that the idea behind it is naive. This happens to ESOC a bit too much I think. The decisions are frequently made with the idea that people care a lot about small aoe3 related things. In reality though, it's just a little hobby and the ranking and stuff are things that come in second place. I think realistically there will be very few people that think "oh fuck, I gotta get a good ranking for the tournament". I think most people will be happy to find games at all on EP and that won't really change with this I fear.

I'm still wondering why it's impossible to really take all games played (EP + RE) into account. I believe ESOC decided against this because they thought an EP ladder would suddenly make more people play the game, so in that sense this naivity is a bit harmful even.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player

Post by Hazza54321 »

Garja wrote:
Hazza54321 wrote:Jp is just more accurate, im ranked 9 on ep whilst playing like 30 games lol

alot worse lol
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Hazza54321 wrote:
Garja wrote:

alot worse lol

stop losing to mebak... srsly
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player

Post by Hazza54321 »

umeu wrote:
Hazza54321 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

alot worse lol

why bother with sea with dutch ..."srsly"
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Hazza54321 wrote:
umeu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

why bother with sea with dutch ..."srsly"

some dutch mirrors you just don't want to build banks, then sea is very important
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

The only disgusting thing is that Brunno won't be preseeded which shows a blatant fail in the ladder system
No Flag benjamind7777
Crossbow
ESO: benjamind77

Post by benjamind7777 »

isn't eso not working at the moment. The aoe3 news said it is not working?
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

benjamind7777 wrote:isn't eso not working at the moment. The aoe3 news said it is not working?

Buying AoE3 from Steam isn't working because Steam ran out of keys. So MS has to produce new ones and give them to Steam before you can make an account.

But ESO is up and runnin.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

edeholland wrote:
benjamind7777 wrote:isn't eso not working at the moment. The aoe3 news said it is not working?

Buying AoE3 from Steam isn't working because Steam ran out of keys. So MS has to produce new ones and give them to Steam before you can make an account.

What really?? That is so weird... How do you know this?
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

ovi12 wrote:
edeholland wrote:

What really?? That is so weird... How do you know this?

Well, a lot of people tried to buy the game but couldn't get a key. Now there are keys being generated, but they don't work for multiplayer yet. I know because of Reddit, the Discord and Eaglemut.

More information here.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

You can't seed by jap elo either, dunno how people can argue that. Re elo means nothing with all the cheaters and dumb maps in qs.
Ep elo would be fine, if only people played more (rated) games on ep. I like the idea of pushing people to play more on ep, but there has to be a smooth transition. Can't suddenly just switch to ep elo imo, it's gonna mean a fucked up seeding. So it should be a mix of re and ep elo, as well as recent tourney results. I already posted an example of formula twice I think.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

Aren’t you also pretty close to top 10 in 1v1? Would be surprised if you aren’t.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Of course he is.
It s not like there are many names playing anyway.
Image Image Image
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

_H2O wrote:

Aren’t you also pretty close to top 10 in 1v1? Would be surprised if you aren’t.

Yes he is, but he shouldn't be top 10 with only 30 games.