ESO Connection Issues: 'Failed to join game'

No Flag generalsquirts
Crossbow

Post by generalsquirts »

I've really searched far and wide through the barreling depths of google on trying to fix this issue. I have tried everything I could think of, but I have never actually gone and made a post about my specific issue. I know many others who experience the same ordeal, but I am unsure as to how to go about and finally fix it. I've searched far around and found multiple suggestions. These suggestions ranged from disabling my firewall, checking if AoE III was enabled on my firewall, changing my IP from dynamic to static, manually forwarding the ports, disabling/enabling UPNP on my router settings, enabling DMZ on my router, uninstalling/reinstalling the game itself, restarting my router, and restarting my computer. These are just the fixes I have tried that I could remember on the top of my head. I have no idea where to go at this point. It seems that at times I can connect to certain games, but for many I get a "failed to join game" option. I recently purchased the game and fell in love with it instantly, it brings me about a way to quench my strategic thirst in a title. But it has been annoying to being unable to strategize with actual players online, which is why I originally purchased the game. Though I love the campaign and skirmishing options. Currently I am a Conscript rank, so I am unaware if the failed to join message is a result of the ranks of the match listings, though I am sure this is not the case because even conscript listings get the same message. I've attempted changing my IP to a static IP address, though honestly I am unsure if I even did it correctly since I can't really grasp the idea of how the numberings for the IP addresses work and such. But many of my friends connect into matches with dynamic IPs, so I am unsure if that is the issue. I know that my ISP isn't blocking the ports, since the list of ports blocked by my ISP do not include ports 2300/2310. I originally installed the game through steam when I noticed it was on sale alongside other games during the steam summer sale. The installation seemed a bit buggy, mainly because the shortcut automatically takes me into the War Chiefs expansion. My friends who own the game told me that their shortcut asks them whether they'd want to enter through War Chiefs or Asian Dynasties, but mine cuts straight into War Chiefs. For now I have to connect to Asian Dynasties through my steam library. I've tried to see if it was an issue with the local files, so I tried the 'verify the integrity of game cache' button and wait for the scan to finish. It always says that there is one file that is invalid and is reacquired. But it never seems to 'reacquire' this file. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the game and it stills ends up with the same issue. So I am unsure whether this could possibly be the cause of the problem? I'm just really confused as to do at this point. Maybe I didn't correctly change to a static IP, maybe I messed up the manual ports, maybe there's something that is simple that I just haven't taken notice to yet. I am grateful to anyone who can help me on this issue, I really want to get into the online competitiveness that AoE III has to offer me. Thank you to all who read this 'D.
India _DB_
Howdah

Post by _DB_ »

Such long to read. Managed to read it. I've same issue. My router is very dumb that it has port forwarding feature but doesn't show ports open even I've a static IP and forwarded ports correctly. This really sucks. I never managed to fix it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well. This is a good software to set up a static IP and check if your ports are opened or not.
http://portforward.com/software/downloa ... utilities/
Doing what you like is Freedom...
Liking what you do is Happiness...
No Flag generalsquirts
Crossbow

Post by generalsquirts »

Thanks my man, I appreciate you going over my post. Sorry if it's a bit long xD. I'll try checking out that port forwarding software. Hopefully that will fix the issue.
No Flag nazz121
Musketeer

Post by nazz121 »

I've had this problem when i first started to play not so long ago, the way i solved it was to disable hamachi and forward ports.

I doubt u would have hamachi, but if you do, defiantly disable that, it seems to screw with online games alot.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

You cannot have searched that long and hard, far and wide to be honest.
No Flag Zhou_You
Crossbow

Post by Zhou_You »

Have you tried making a user.cfg file and using the OverridePort="2300" and OverrideAdrress="external ip address" commands? This is what fixed it for me. My router will generally change it's IP address daily so I just have to change that number and I'm set.
For detailed instructions http://www.agecommunity.com/faq_mp.aspx

BTW, You can actually launch TAD directly without launching steam by making a shortcut to the age3y.exe in the aoe3/bin folder where your steam games are. This is a nice tip if you don't want to clock up hundreds of hours on your steam profile :7upspot: Should work for many other games to
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Ok I'll be a little more directly constructive and say this much: Check RTS-Sanctuary and Agecommunity respectively.
Bosnia & Herzegovina medinos
Lancer
ESO: AlexBoye,Daddysmurf

Post by medinos »

Step 1: Download uTorrent

Step 2: Open the program, go to options>preferences>connection. There is a "port used for incoming connections" set that to 2300 and uncheck "randomize port each start.

Step 3: Go to options>preferences>bandwidth set your maximum upload rate and download rate to 1.

Step 4: Find yourself a legal torrent (for an example: archive.org), start downloading (you have set the download and upload speed to as small as possible, so it won't use up all your internet), leave uTorrent running and log on to aoe 3 and try to play.
Helped my problem..
You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. Marco1698

Post by Marco1698 »

There are so many guides about this issue... i don't think you followed them correctly
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

What kind of computer do you own? What is its OS? How old is it?
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
No Flag generalsquirts
Crossbow

Post by generalsquirts »

Well, Ive gone and tried out some of the suggestions Ive seen here. I went and deleted Hamachi from my computer. I used to use it, but I deleted it just in case, surely uninstalling Hamachi will disable it completely. As for the overriding the address and ports via the user.cfg file, Ive gone and tried that route. I am unsure if I need a static IP for this, but I tried it anyways. I made an OverrideAddress to connect to my external IP since the IP I use comes from my ISP. Note Im still on a dynamic IP address at the moment, I have no clue if this plays a role in making the user.cfg file. I went and made a notepad document, typed in the overrideaddress and put that document inside the folder. I think thats how it was supposed to be done, the details were still kind of lacking so I am unsure if I did it correctly. As for the OverridePort option, it said I had to configure the ports via my router settings and Im pretty sure I need to have a static IP to do it. I am unsure on how exactly to set up a static IP, so maybe that could be the problem. Ill try the uTorrent suggestion and see if I get anywhere with that. So far OverrideAddress didnt seem to do anything for me, nor did the uninstallation of Hamachi.

My router settings are as follows:

SSID: NETGEAR73
Protocol: 802.11n
Security type: WPA2-Personal
IPv4 address: 192.168.1.7
IPv4 DNS Servers: 192.168.1.1
Manufacturer: Ralink Technology, Corp.
Description: Ralink RT5390R 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter
Driver version: 5.0.48.0
Physical address: ??A4-17-31-69-63-91

My computer is an HP Pavilion, it isnt really a hardcore gaming PC. Processor is a AMD A8-550 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 3.20 GHz. The system type is a 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor and runs on Windows 8.1.

For the OverrideAddress fix, there were no files underneath startup so I created it myself. These are the screenshots of everything I added. The red area on the last screenshot covers my IP address of course. :)

http://puu.sh/iyMXR/130eae1fd6.png
http://puu.sh/iyMYx/dad7ad9798.png
http://puu.sh/iyNeK/21011ec9e0.png

Ill try and check out RTS-Sanctuary, Ive checked through AgeCommunity a bunch of times and nothing there seemed to help me. My best guess is I either did something incorrectly or I am missing something D:. Thank you to everyone whos given their input so far, I WILL GET THIS FIXED!
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

Yeah you're doing the override address wrong. Also add a line in the file to do OverridePort="2300". (This tells the game to use port 2300, while you go into the router settings to ensure port 2300 is open.) Delete that folder, and from notepad, the save dialog should look like this:

http://i.imgur.com/hHe2HXB.png (your folder is probably empty, however)

Ensure you type "user.cfg" as the filename and select "all files" (not ".txt") as the file type.

You should also give your PC a static IP within your LAN for doing port forwarding. If you need more help I'd be happy to take a look via Teamviewer if you want. The game should work fine with a your netgear router.
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

I've had this problem too. I just want to throw it in here, that some routers just suck... I remember calling my ISP, going back and forth with ports, reinstalling, spent countless of hours reading guides how to fix the problem, DMZ, UPNP, IP ports, stuff, things, tomatos etc but nothing worked for me.

Everything got fixed for me after I changed router to a different type.
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

Indeed, some routers do just suck. But this man has a netgear, and it should work.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

musketeer925 wrote:Indeed, some routers do just suck. But this man has a netgear, and it should work.
I think the better the router, the more chances of it giving you ftj issues though.
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

jerom wrote:
musketeer925 wrote:Indeed, some routers do just suck. But this man has a netgear, and it should work.
I think the better the router, the more chances of it giving you ftj issues though.
Out-of-the-box, yes, but the better the router, the more likely it can be fixed.

Theres two ends to the spectrum. Mid-range routers are meant to have just enough options to "just work", but enough to be configurable. Some shitty routers dont have the options you need, and therefore dont work even, and some great routers have so many settings that they need to be configured correctly to get working, but will work.
No Flag generalsquirts
Crossbow

Post by generalsquirts »

I'll definitely consider trying to go on teamviewer with you musketeer, I really appreciate the offer and might take you up on that. I went ahead and changed the user.cfg file so that is wasn't a folder, but the notepad file itself. So that should be fine. If you want add me on steam, my username is GeneralSquirts. Hopefully from there on we could coordinate something in regards to teamviewer and you showing my noob self how to do things correctly. xD
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

Hey, I added you on Steam then. See you there.
No Flag drumal
Skirmisher

Post by drumal »

So yesterday my provider finaly give me public IP.. cause they said we are blocking no port at all and this may help.. So before I can join just like 95% games out there and with public IP it was 100% !!! Literally zero games let mi join, and if I hosted game no one can join me.
Today i have back old one IP and everything is like before.. about 5% games let me in...

I know it is old game, old servers, small comunity, no offic suport.. but it?s not problem a few people.. there is bunch of players like me. Imagine that this insane bug someone will solve..how many players will be online
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

drumal wrote:So yesterday my provider finaly give me public IP.. cause they said we are blocking no port at all and this may help.. So before I can join just like 95% games out there and with public IP it was 100% !!! Literally zero games let mi join, and if I hosted game no one can join me.
Today i have back old one IP and everything is like before.. about 5% games let me in...

I know it is old game, old servers, small comunity, no offic suport.. but it?s not problem a few people.. there is bunch of players like me. Imagine that this insane bug someone will solve..how many players will be online
I''m not sure I follow this. By public IP, I assume you mean a static "public IP"? And things worked when the ISP gave you this, correct?

But now, things are not working again, because the ISP took away your static IP? How do you know they did this?
No Flag drumal
Skirmisher

Post by drumal »

Oh sorry for my bad english.. I have this failed to join game problem since I bought this game 3 months ago. Tried everything what I ve found online, nothing helped. I have always private IP, but my provider said that public IP may solved this issue. After many days and too much mailing they give it to me a public IP and I wasnt able to join to any game, so a mail them back that I wanna old IP back, since this mornig I have old IP back and Iam able to join about 5% game (so I am exactly where I was before)
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

I had very similar problems and getting a public IP actually fixed the connection issues completely for me. My provider just remotely configured all the settings on our router though, so I can't really tell you what exactly they did :(

Maybe the public IP was in conflict with some of the other changes you've made. For example if you still had your old IP in OverrideAddress. I personally don't use OverrideAddress at all, but I do use OverridePort which my provider forwarded and I also told them to forward port 80.

So, to summarize what I'd try:

[strike]1. Set up a local static IP

while you have dynamic IP, check what's in your network center ->' connection ->' details

write down these: IPv4 Address, IPv4 Subnet Mask, IPv4 Default Gateway, IPv4 DNS server

List item 3

[/strike]

Fuck, it took me like an hour to precisely write down all the steps, then I accidentally closed the tab and restored just this.. (facepalm) Sorry, I might try again later.
momuuu wrote: ↑theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player