Age of Empires 3 Failure to Launch

No Flag yohomes
Musketeer

Age of Empires 3 Failure to Launch

Post by yohomes »

Hey everyone. I've had a problem where AoE3 is failing to launch.

So AoE3 was working fine for me. Up until the other day when I went to launch it. It wouldn't launch from steam, so I went to the game directory and ran as administrator from there.
So a blank error screen comes up. Nothing is written there. I verify integrity of game cache in the Steam options and it says 1 item will be re acquired. This doesn't work, and verifying again gives the same message.

A message said that MSXML needs to be installed, so I installed it from here.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=15697
And now I have the blank error again. I've tried running the original and warchiefs and they load. But going online says "There may be an issue with your game installation, please re install". So I did that, removed all registry keys relating to AoE3 (after backing up the registry), and tried to re install in a different location on the same drive, and then in a different drive. I'm still getting the error.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem or had anything like it?
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Re: Age of Empires 3 Failure to Launch

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Hey man, wow, first of all I'm sorry you went through so much effort to fix this.

The game cannot be launched from Steam in the normal way since a recent update of Windows (or perhaps Steam) broke this functionality on a global level. Now it can only be launched using right-click on AoE3 in the Steam library and selecting launch The Asian Dynasties from there, for example.

I guess you can try launching it that way from Steam, but I'm not sure it will help at this point.
momuuu wrote: ↑theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
No Flag yohomes
Musketeer

Re: Age of Empires 3 Failure to Launch

Post by yohomes »

It seems like it's working so far. Thanks :). I'll post back here if there are any more problems.