Age of Empires 3 Expansion 2 has stopped working.

No Flag Kommander
Musketeer

Age of Empires 3 Expansion 2 has stopped working.

Post by Kommander »

Hello Tech folks at ESO-C.

I have had this problem for around 5 days now. I have tried reinstalling it two times with one going into the more complex file explorer.
It all happened randomly when my game crashed in a lobby. I can play Vanilla fine. I do not know if I can play TWC.
I tried to run it as an administrator.
Some additional information:
Windows 10
Intel HD
4 GB Ram
Steam Version
[ESO-Assistant is downloaded]
[ESO-C Patch is downloaded and may or may have not been impacted by this issue. I am unaware]
Help would be appreciated. Cheers. :flowers:

EDIT:

EAGLEMUT's last suggestion worked for me. The others also may work for you if you have this issue in the future, for if you are looking this up for the same issue. 9/18/2017
You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. NyxAchlys9

Re: Age of Empires 3 Expansion 2 has stopped working.

Post by NyxAchlys9 »

Have you tried running it in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3? @EAGLEMUT knows a lot about this and is very lovely :D
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

Try this, I ran into a similar problem with the EP and bramboy told me to do this and it kind of worked. Best of luck
No Flag Kommander
Musketeer

Post by Kommander »

NyxAchlys9 wrote:Have you tried running it in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3? @EAGLEMUT knows a lot about this and is very lovely :D

I checked and it's like that by default. I changed it, hardly, and changed it back, but to no avail. Thanks Jakey.
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: _NiceKING_
GameRanger ID: 9999999
Clan: Xbox

Post by _NiceKING_ »

Try turning off compatibility mode for age3y.exe. Launch the game without Steam.
No Flag Kommander
Musketeer

Post by Kommander »

kami_ryu wrote:Image

Try this, I ran into a similar problem with the EP and bramboy told me to do this and it kind of worked. Best of luck

Thanks Kami Ryu, even though it's not the same program I had the TAD set on "Run as Administrator" so I ticked it off, nothing happened. Thanks Kami.
No Flag Kommander
Musketeer

Post by Kommander »

_NiceKING_ wrote:Try turning off compatibility mode for age3y.exe. Launch the game without Steam.

I went through Steam's files to access age3y.exe, I turned compatibility off, and launched the game from file explorer, but it froze for a minute and then crashed without a Windows Error notification in the middle of the screen. Strange :hmm:
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by _NiceKING_ »

Is your Windows 10 user account that you are using an Administrator?
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Kommander wrote:
_NiceKING_ wrote:Try turning off compatibility mode for age3y.exe. Launch the game without Steam.

I went through Steam's files to access age3y.exe, I turned compatibility off, and launched the game from file explorer, but it froze for a minute and then crashed without a Windows Error notification in the middle of the screen. Strange :hmm:

Try setting the compatibility mode to Vista SP2 and again launch directly from file explorer (Steam automatically overwrites these settings).
momuuu wrote: ↑theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
No Flag Kommander
Musketeer

Post by Kommander »

_NiceKING_ wrote:Is your Windows 10 user account that you are using an Administrator?

Hmm, not a tech geek so I don't entirely know. It should be.

Is there a way for me to check? It worked fine before and no other accounts entered here. :hmm:
No Flag Kommander
Musketeer

Post by Kommander »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
Kommander wrote:

Try setting the compatibility mode to Vista SP2 and again launch directly from file explorer (Steam automatically overwrites these settings).

Surprisingly doesn't work. Thanks for this suggestion.

I believe this problem might come from ESO Assistant, or much less likely, EP.

How do I uninstall [them], if anyone knows?
You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. NyxAchlys9

Post by NyxAchlys9 »

like just delete everything in the folder then re-install from steam
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by _NiceKING_ »

Kommander wrote:I believe this problem might come from ESO Assistant, or much less likely, EP.
How do I uninstall [them], if anyone knows?

Control Panel->Programs->Programs and Features
No Flag Kommander
Musketeer

Post by Kommander »

_NiceKING_ wrote:Control Panel->Programs->Programs and Features

Hm, I have removed them, thank you man, but they're not the issue here, unfortunately.

Edit: I will Uninstall and then, if the first does not work, delete the files then verify game files, which is I assume is [mention]8197[/mention] 's suggestion.
Thanks for all the help guys. Cheers.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

I would be very surprised if the ESOC Patch or the ESO-Assistant are the cause, especially since you've had them before, but I guess it's worth a try.

My next suggestion would be to try making a backup of folder \Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3 and then deleting/renaming it. This will reset all of your local game settings to factory default. Perhaps they could be corrupted, since you've mentioned that the first crash happened in lobby.
No Flag Kommander
Musketeer

Post by Kommander »

EAGLEMUT wrote:I would be very surprised if the ESOC Patch or the ESO-Assistant are the cause, especially since you've had them before, but I guess it's worth a try.

My next suggestion would be to try making a backup of folder \Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3 and then deleting/renaming it. This will reset all of your local game settings to factory default. Perhaps they could be corrupted, since you've mentioned that the first crash happened in lobby.

Still waiting for AOE3 to install, but do I delete all the unbacked up files? Do I need a backup? I would assume so.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Kommander wrote:
EAGLEMUT wrote:I would be very surprised if the ESOC Patch or the ESO-Assistant are the cause, especially since you've had them before, but I guess it's worth a try.

Still waiting for AOE3 to install, but do I delete all the unbacked up files? Do I need a backup? I would assume so.

Just renaming the folder should be enough, as that effectively creates a backup. When you launch AoE3 it will automatically create a fresh one.