full screen problem

Bavaria j_t_kirk
ESOC Media Team
Donator 01
ESO: j_t_kirk

full screen problem

Post by j_t_kirk »

My Computer was broken therefore I had to reinstall Age of Empires. Now I have the problem that I can't change the resoultion of my game. The resolution stays always at 800 x 600. In the past it worked when windowed mode was activated, but when I use the windowed mode now, I get a black screen and the game freezes. The ESOC Patch works on higher resolutions and on windowed mode, only TAD and Nilla don't work at higher resolutions.
ImageImageImage
No Flag stronk
Skirmisher

Re: full screen problem

Post by stronk »

I have a problem too. My screen is so big it is hard to see all the things at the same time and I have to move my head alot.
give that guy a manual
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

@j_t_kirk I have more or less the same problem: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=14621
Basically everything runs fine on EP, but when playing on RE I can't go windowed mode, otherwise I get a black screen and I even need to go in the task manager to close aoe. So I need to keep it in full screen mode the whole time, which sucks ass because it makes everything lag when you alt + tab. @EAGLEMUT tried to help me but sadly we couldn't find a solution.

For your resolution problem though, a fix might be to edit this xml file: Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Users3\NewProfile3.xml
Change this tag (line 33 for me):

Code: Select all

<Setting Name="optiongrfxres">1600 x 900</Setting>

Just change the resolution written inside of the tag by the resolution of your screen.

Btw, this tag (line 34 for me):

<Setting Name="optiongrfxwindowmode">true</Setting>

is the one that controls the windowed/full screen mode, so you can manually set it to "false" if you're stuck in windowed more for whatever reason. Or to "true" for the opposite effect.

I think by doing this you will have a normal full screen mode with the right resolution. It won't fix the black screen bug, sadly.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Bavaria j_t_kirk
ESOC Media Team
Donator 01

Post by j_t_kirk »

I tried to change

<Setting Name="optiongrfxwindowmode">true</Setting>
already, but it didn't work.
If I start the game with windowmode=true, I get a black screen instead of the intro cinematics. When I click on the black screen I get the message "aoe is not responding". (When I change it ingame to windowmode=true I get only the black screen and no "aoe is not responding")
With wondowmode=false the games starts always with 800 x 600 even if I change the resolution in the xml file. :sad:
ImageImageImage
Bavaria j_t_kirk
ESOC Media Team
Donator 01

Post by j_t_kirk »

I fixed the resolution problem:

<Setting Name="optiongrfxbitdepth">16</Setting>

I changed the 16 to 32. It allows me to play on full screen now, but it still doesn't work with windowed mode.
ImageImageImage
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

@Lukas_L99 had the same issue and gave me that link: https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensiv ... il_update/.
For me it works, you have to stay in full screen (your windowed mode is still a black screen), but then tabbing out takes less than 0.5s instead of 5+ sec, so it's less annoying.
@j_t_kirk
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..