Steam Play for Linux

United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Steam Play for Linux

Post by musketeer925 »

Has anyone tried out AoE3 on Linux using Steam's new Steam Play feature? AoE3 isn't whitelisted yet, but that can be overridden.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/221410 ... 5739350561
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Re: Steam Play for Linux

Post by Gendarme »

Allegedly it's identical to running the games on Wine manually. If that's the case, I don't see what the point is.
Pay more attention to detail.
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

Gendarme wrote:Allegedly it's identical to running the games on Wine manually. If that's the case, I don't see what the point is.

It's easier I imagine, and if you have some games that run natively on Linux and some that don't, you can manage them all together in one Steam interface instead of having a Steam client install outside of Wine and a Steam client install inside Wine.

Disclaimer: I have never really used wine for gaming on Linux, so don't know if this is an accurate description of a problem you would have?
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

I only recently tried Steam for the first time cause @edeholland tricked me into getting Tabletop Simulator. I honestly do not even know how Steam works. I have only played AoE3 and World of Warcraft on Wine and they both worked fine. The real issue with gaming on Linux is the damn Nvidia drivers, not Wine.
Pay more attention to detail.
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

Installing aoe3 on wine has some issues that you need to tackle before being able to properly run the game. The easier it will be for Linux users, the better it will be. Needing to use command lines to fix your problems is a big friction in the user experience of linux gamers. What you would hope is to have your games which run out of the box on Linux, and that's what it seems this steam tool provides. Adam has also a point saying that it's cool to have all your games in the same store.
Also, although nvidia drivers are an issue, the problem is mostly coming from directx. We can hope that game studios start to use the new Vulkan API which make things far far easier to get cross platform games