Gameranger & ESOC Patch help needed

No Flag Bongnatter
Crossbow

Re: GameRanger & ESOC Patch

Post by Bongnatter »

Hello,

me and some friends have followed the guide step by step. we downloaded the same patch (5.0.0.2), but when we try to connect via game ranger it says we are on different versions.

any ideas on how to fix this? and am I even right to post the issue here? I am sorry I find the forum a bit confusing. :/

thanks ahead for any help!

edit: thanks for accepting.

something else that might be relevant: when i open the info in-game it says "v 1.03; ESOC", but for my friend it says "v 1.03; ESOC 5.002". I am 100% sure we used the same .exe, because it was the same link provided here.
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

Hey buddy first off welcome to Esoc. Don't worry about where you're posting stuff too much, our mods help out with regulating the threads anyway.

As far as the issue goes I'm not very tech savvy but we have diligent dedicated people around here who would be happy to help u out like @Buckethead @musketeer925 and @EAGLEMUT
No Flag Bongnatter
Crossbow

Post by Bongnatter »

hey, sounds like a chill forum you got there!
do it need to contact them directly? or will they see the topic automatically, now that you've linked them?
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Gameranger & ESOC Patch help needed

Post by edeholland »

Placeholder
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Re: Gameranger & ESOC Patch help needed

Post by edeholland »

Hey Bongnatter, welcome to our forums. Rsy tagged them so they will see this thread pretty soon, I imagine. I moved your posts to a new thread for convenience.
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

Hello and welcome to the forum!

For playing the patch on GameRanger, you have to configure the patch for "GameRanger mode". It sounds like your friend has done this and you haven't. Launch the patch launcher once outside of GameRanger, click "Tools" and "Setup for GameRanger":

Note to play with people not on the EP, you'll have to repeat this process to turn off GameRanger mode.
No Flag Bongnatter
Crossbow

Post by Bongnatter »

thanks for the suggestion. might be, i accidently turned the normal mode on again. Might need to try, as soon as he has the time, but in case I did everything right, are there any other options? Or are you positive, this caused the issue?
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

Not positive that's it, my first read of your post I didn't realize you said your game did say "ESOC" but without the patch version, which seems strange.

Maybe worth trying to reinstall the ESOC Patch if resetting GameRanger mode doesn't fix it. Would recommend turning off GameRanger mode before uninstalling, then turning on again after install.

Not sure that GameRanger mode sees that much use, so I wouldn't be particularly surprised if there are bugs with it.
No Flag Bongnatter
Crossbow

Post by Bongnatter »

Problem persists. :/

also got this while installing ESCO the very first time: File, Forbidden
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\Startup\game.cfg
Command: maxZoom=60;SAMB-ITTT-DEIY-NZJI-ELLN

doubt it is important tho
No Flag Bongnatter
Crossbow

Post by Bongnatter »

It worked now, but once we are in the lobby and everyone sets to "ready" nothing happens and there is no option to launch the game manually

edit: nevermind! everything is fine now, i just chose the wrong amount of player. haha thanks guys
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

Glad you got things working! Are there improvements we could make to the launcher and/or process to make this easier to figure out? Would love to hear your feedback.
No Flag Bongnatter
Crossbow

Post by Bongnatter »

What I noticed is that in the original guideline the red markings to get to "Setup for Game Ranger" were around "Options" not "Tools". I found that out pretty easy, it is not a major flaw.
Otherwise I don't really know what to criticise, I believe the problems were just caused by my inaccuracy or some failed installation. Having to re-install things in order to make them work is nothing new and therefore nothing that should be criticised on my end.
The launcher may not be self-explanatory, but that what the FAQ and guide-line are for and anyone who gets the patch will stumble across those.

I only have one more issue: we wanted to play with another friend, but the .exe for the 5.0.0.2patch can't be opened, showing a "not a valid win32 application" failure. The FAQ doesn't talk about different Windows versions, he is won Win7 we are on 10. Doesn't the patch work on Win7?

Thanks!
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

Bongnatter wrote:What I noticed is that in the original guideline the red markings to get to "Setup for Game Ranger" were around "Options" not "Tools". I found that out pretty easy, it is not a major flaw.

Good point -- GameRanger mode would probably make more sense as an option.

I only have one more issue: we wanted to play with another friend, but the .exe for the 5.0.0.2patch can't be opened, showing a "not a valid win32 application" failure. The FAQ doesn't talk about different Windows versions, he is won Win7 we are on 10. Doesn't the patch work on Win7?

Thanks!

The patch does work on all versions XP and newer. Maybe it could be a partial or corrupted download?
No Flag Bongnatter
Crossbow

Post by Bongnatter »

just to make sure you understand correctly: I meant the red marker in the screenshots provided in the guide-line, but yes, swapping it from Tools to Options would make more sense.

I should have been more specific: Of course we thought about it being a corrupt file, he downloaded it several times (at first his firewall would alarm him, we convinced him to turn it off), using different browsers to the same outcome.