write a string to allow instant refresh of game lobby

Bhutan jgals
Lancer
ESO: OstiferButthole

write a string to allow instant refresh of game lobby

Post by jgals »

can somene write some code that would allow us to not have to wait forever to refresh the gam list? as in hust alow us to refresh over and over instantly?
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Re: write a string to allow instant refresh of game lobby

Post by Mitoe »

Sounds like something that would result in ESO force-logging you out if you tried to do it. Similar to how invite spamming can overload the server and get you kicked off.
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

I wouldn't be surprised if you could force a refresh significantly more often than the UI allows without ESO kicking you off. Certainly invite-spam rates of updating would result in kicking off, but the current timeout is pretty long, and I wouldn't be surprised if the limit is only implemented on the client side.

Alternatively, you could do something with the EP network hook where every time anyone using EP refreshed, it forwarded that data to ESOC and we could have a sort of crowd-sourced lobby list that was theoretically updated more often than a single player would be able to. That would likely be a large amount of work though -- the hardest part would be inserting the crowd-sourced data back into the game somehow. It also relies on having enough active EP players (or at least people launching through EP launcher) to get frequent enough updates.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Invite spam can get you kicked off? I remember zuta getting invite on spammed on streat very very quickly and the guy didn't seem to get kicked off.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Yeah, this seems like a good way to make ESO crash more frequently... I'd say let it rest for a bit between game list requests.
My initial thought is that it's likely possible to get around, if we tried.

ovi12 wrote:Invite spam can get you kicked off? I remember zuta getting invite on spammed on streat very very quickly and the guy didn't seem to get kicked off.

Yeah invite spam typically kicks out both the inviter and invitee.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

EAGLEMUT wrote:Yeah, this seems like a good way to make ESO crash more frequently... I'd say let it rest for a bit between game list requests.

I would think a modest decrease in the timeout would have little impact on ESO servers. The servers used to handle much higher loads, and the migrations/upgrades/etc. they've made since then probably didn't really reduce capacity much since hardware has gotten much cheaper. Plus, it'd only be affecting EP users which is a fairly small portion of users anyway.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

musketeer925 wrote: it'd only be affecting EP users which is a fairly small portion of users anyway.

I was actually thinking of RE as well, wondering if it could be done with just the existing UI functions; but maybe not.
Bhutan jgals
Lancer

Post by jgals »

for those concerned for the servers remember that there was a time when the servers handled thousands online at once regularly, and those were less technologically advanced times
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

That's not quite the same.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

ovi12 wrote:Invite spam can get you kicked off? I remember zuta getting invite on spammed on streat very very quickly and the guy didn't seem to get kicked off.

You never watched a stream and the no life nerd was kicking the streamer? It happens semi frequently (although thankfully a lot less frequently than it used to)
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

jgals wrote:for those concerned for the servers remember that there was a time when the servers handled thousands online at once regularly, and those were less technologically advanced times

Those were also the times when the servers were actively maintained and weren't being regularly DoSed. Are you arguing that the servers did not run better, say, 5 years ago? That seems objectively false, seeing as they currently crash pretty much daily or even multiple times a day.
Bhutan jgals
Lancer

Post by jgals »

yea they seem a bit worse now, though they were almost as bad 5 years ago. But for different reasons. Now I figure its just game compatibility with modern OS and hardwares that causes all the glitches and bugs in the ESO lobby system. but maybe not. IF we were getting DDOSD all the time i think it would be much worse
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

gibson wrote:

You never watched a stream and the no life nerd was kicking the streamer? It happens semi frequently (although thankfully a lot less frequently than it used to)

Yeah lol never seen it. Just that one time with zuta, but zuta closed his game, and then before logging in he turned publuc off from options.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego