Can't get out of windows mode playing on 2560x1440p monitor.

Great Britain TheNameDaniel
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: danielek

Can't get out of windows mode playing on 2560x1440p monitor.

Post by TheNameDaniel »

Every time to uncheck windowed mode and click ok, it freezes the game for about 2 seconds and then when i click on options to check it stills says windowed mode is enabled. The main reason this is annoying is because I have a two monitor setup so everytime i play AOE3 I have to disable the second screen otherwise my mouse will just go onto the other screen and it will mess me up.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Re: Can't get out of windows mode playing on 2560x1440p monitor.

Post by Mitoe »

Try this:

Go to Documents > My Games > Age of Empires 3 > Users3 (or Users, if you're playing Vanilla)

Open NewProfile3.xml (NewProfile.xml for Vanilla) in NotePad

Find this line:

<Setting Name="optiongrfxwindowmode">true</Setting>

And change "true" to "false." Save and launch the game and see if that got fullscreen to work.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

Gotta love it when it's mac user telling us how to fix windows problems
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

I would recommend to keep using windowed and solve this with the CursorLock program: http://www.snakebytestudios.com/projects/apps/cursor-lock/
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Try setting the monitor on which you want to play the game as your primary monitor.

In Win10 it's in Settings > System > Display, click a monitor from the two displayed there and scroll to the bottom and check that box next to "Make this my main display". Then restart the game and see if you still have issues.

I think Windows can only play a game on the primary monitor.
Great Britain TheNameDaniel
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: danielek

Post by TheNameDaniel »

Guys i solved it by forcing the game to load in 480x640 in properties and then i set it to full screen and put my original resolution, i already tried @Mitoe 's solution but that didnt work.
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

Hey so I've tried the Mitoe notepad method and changing the resolution of the game that others mentioned in this thread but neither worked for me. It is just EP that is stuck in windowed mode for me, not the standard version. I play on a laptop and don't wanna play on windowed mode. It feels super awkward. I have had this issue happen before as well. When I was on my previous laptop, I had to format and fully restore my laptop, a full reinstall of everything, to have EP go back to normal but even that didn't work the second time I had this issue. It's been less than two weeks since I returned and I can't be arsed enough to do a full restore every two weeks. Is there any other way anybody knows to remove the windowed mode?
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

rsy wrote:I play on a laptop and don't wanna play on windowed mode. It feels super awkward.
Why would windowed mode feel super awkward? Just make sure you have resolution set to maximum, and then it's effectively like fullscreen, but better.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Remember everytime you alt tab in full screen mode you are giving your GPU a heart attack. Windowed full screen is the way to go
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

princeofcarthage wrote:Remember everytime you alt tab in full screen mode you are giving your GPU a heart attack.
I like to keep it on its toes
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
rsy wrote:I play on a laptop and don't wanna play on windowed mode. It feels super awkward.
Why would windowed mode feel super awkward? Just make sure you have resolution set to maximum, and then it's effectively like fullscreen, but better.
Good for tabbing out, but anything not exclusively fullscreen adds a bit of input lag. If you don't mind that, it's definitely preferred to use Fullscreen Windowed Mode, a hybrid of the two.
For streaming, Fullscreen windowed is kind of a must, since you have to tab out so often anyway.
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
wow ok so I was just about to take a screenshot and I open up EP and it went back to normal non windowed mode somehow. Fucking weird but I'll take it. Even on full resolution it looked like it was stuck on one side of the monitor which was why it felt awkward.
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

aaryngend wrote:
EAGLEMUT wrote:
Good for tabbing out, but anything not exclusively fullscreen adds a bit of input lag. If you don't mind that, it's definitely preferred to use Fullscreen Windowed Mode, a hybrid of the two.
For streaming, Fullscreen windowed is kind of a must, since you have to tab out so often anyway.
This is weird. For me AoE3 usually lags more when in fullscreen rather than windowed mode.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Are you still on PC? @Mitoe

In the past when I was running older computers, I noticed I would get a little bit more performance by going fullscreen as opposed to fullscreen windowed.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

fullscreen clearly lags less and I'd say the difference is noticeable even on modern pcs
Image Image Image
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

iNcog wrote:Are you still on PC? @Mitoe

In the past when I was running older computers, I noticed I would get a little bit more performance by going fullscreen as opposed to fullscreen windowed.
Yeah I’m on PC. Just the other day my game was in full screen mode by accident (I must’ve alt-entered by mistake?) and it was noticeably laggy. As soon as I went through options to check if that was the case and went back to windowed mode it ran fine.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

Mitoe clearly lives in an alternate universe.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

well generally games lag less on fullscreen and that was also the case on my old pc with aoe3. on the new pc tho when i select fullscreen i get graphical glitches
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.