New Computer

Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

New Computer

Post by chris1089 »

I'm looking at buying a new laptop, mainly for schoolwork and uni next year, but I'd also like to get something that can run aoe3 past age 1 without lag.
Assuming my wifi connection is fine, what level of specs would I need to play with very small amounts of lag?
Serious comments appreciated.
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Re: New Computer

Post by musketeer925 »

Provided it's more than a netbook, you're probably fine. Since it's a very old game, it's minimum requirements are quite minimal:
Processor:Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.0 GHz
Memory:2 GB RAM
Graphics:64 MB NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or ATI Radeon X1300
DirectX®:dx90c
Hard Drive:12 GB HD space
One caveat to consider is that some Intel integrated graphics chips don't seem to play well with the game -- since the game was made well before "integrated graphics" was really a thing, they don't play nicely together (even though the chip would be more than capable of running the game if it knew how). This can cause some weird graphics bugs. I think AMD integrated graphics tend to work better, since they share technology with their discrete cards the game can understand them. @EAGLEMUT might know more about what things are affected.

I'm guessing this would be just fine for AoE3, but you might want something more substantial to run a modern version of Microsoft Word or Google Chrome without lag.