Internet dropping

Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Internet dropping

Post by Hazza54321 »

Hi guys, i know this forum isnt about this but was just wondering if anyone knew how to fix it.

I can basically browse the internet and stuff and its all fine, then i stream or just play random aoe games and my net occasionally drops for about 1 minute and then comes back. The games in question run smoothly and theres hardly any lag but its just random drops that keep occuring. Ive checked on my phone and laptop and the connection on those stay up for the duration of the "drop", so im wondering if its a pc setting or something.
I am on wifi but ive never had this issue before at my old house so im not sure if its virgin media or a setting on my desktop.
Thanks in advance
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Re: Internet dropping

Post by tedere12 »

check your IP adress before and after you drop.
France flontier
Lancer
Intermediate Division Winner
ESO: Flontier
Clan: PLOP

Post by flontier »

I have exactly the same problem.
I know it might happened if you have conflict between some network cards, check in device manager if you have any warnings.
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

Thats mean its not Soldier?
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

the connection staying up on other devices - did you check by opening a website or just the icon is there? are these devices on the same bandwidth as computer i.e. all on 2.4 ghz or all on 5 ghz? asking because it sounds like router bugging out or overheating, it could happen on older models..
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player

Post by Hazza54321 »

i troubleshoot the problem and once its back it says "the default gateway is now available"
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player

Post by Hazza54321 »

harcha wrote:the connection staying up on other devices - did you check by opening a website or just the icon is there? are these devices on the same bandwidth as computer i.e. all on 2.4 ghz or all on 5 ghz? asking because it sounds like router bugging out or overheating, it could happen on older models..
i checked websites (i know the icon stays there sometimes whilst still being offline). The router is new, and i think im all on 5ghz now.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

I have a similar problem in reverse. If I’m playing a game (doesn’t have go be AoE3), I’ll remain connected to the game with 0 issues, but trying to use the internet browser sometimes returns every single website as “server not found”—leaving me unable to do anything on the internet for a couple of minutes despite the fact that my game and discord experience 0 connection hiccups.

No clue what causes that.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player

Post by Hazza54321 »

ok seems like it switched back to 2.4 from 5ghz after they changed the wifi name....
lets hope it works now.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player

Post by Hazza54321 »

chronique wrote:Thats mean its not Soldier?
is what not soldier?
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

I used to have the same issue ages when i played halo wars on the xbox360, so annoying, No idea how it happens. It used to occur quite often on my laptop but not usually when playing AoE
Great Britain TheNameDaniel
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: danielek

Post by TheNameDaniel »

Just use 2.4 ghz unless your router is in the same room as you then 5ghz is obviously better. But at that point ethernet is probably also an option, I personally don't ever use 5ghz wifi cos the signal is so shit.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player

Post by Hazza54321 »

Idk i switched to 5ghz and it felt better despite the router being downstairs
Sweden tabben
Lancer
EWTNWC LAN Bronze
ESO: tabben

Post by tabben »

This happens if you use Dynamic IP instead of Static IP. Dynamic IP means that everytime you connect to your router, it's assigning you an IP adress that's (almost always) different to the last time you connected. So if your Wifi drops for even less than a second (not super uncommon for wifi connections), you're router will be assigning you a new IP adress. Since aoe3 is an older game with not the freshest multiplayer system (FTJ issues etc.) it doesn't take this change of IP adress into account. The game will try to reconnect to your opponent using the IP adress you had before the change. That's why you need to set up Static IP so that it's always the same whenever you connect to your router. It's not hard to do, just google for tutorials :santa:
Great Britain TheNameDaniel
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: danielek

Post by TheNameDaniel »

Hazza54321 wrote:Idk i switched to 5ghz and it felt better despite the router being downstairs
Yeah I only use it for my phone tho which I dont need a lot of bandwith for but yeah 2.4ghz is limited to 50mbps so not the greatest for streaming or playing games.
France Guigs
Tournament Admin
ESO: Guigs

Post by Guigs »

Move in a real country

France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Re:

Post by Kaiserklein »

Lecastete wrote:Move in a real country
Thought you started being too british. But nvm, that's the french spirit I like to see
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Isle of Man UpMySleeves
Dragoon
GameRanger ID: 7309280

Post by UpMySleeves »

I've had a similar problem and I think it was an issue with the driver.
Never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player

Post by Hazza54321 »

i did what tabben said, but it still keeps dropping out so i have no idea, it is the "gateway being no longer available" though
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

have you ever experienced this problem while surfing web and not gaming?
is there any schedule to when this behavior predictably happens?
have you tried updating routers firmware? consider dd-wrt maybe?
have you tried borrowing another router from a friend for troubleshooting?
could you check the routers internal page and monitor how it is recognizing your pc during the drop?
is ethernet out of the question?
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player

Post by Hazza54321 »

1. yes it does sometimes when i watch streams etc but i usually have aoe loaded up, mostly when i game
2. its seemly random i made a note of it each time it dropped and its mostly random but sometimes it looked every 25 mins
3. havent tried updating router, it was installed in september when i mvoed into this new house so i assume it was up to date then.
4. no i havent i dont think its the routers problem , i can still watch twitch and stuff on my phone but drops on my pc so idk
5. idk how you do that
6. yes mother54321 refuses to have a cable run through the house
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

well it could still be an issue somwhere between pc and router, i think changing the router could be a useful troubleshooting step. at least get acquainted with your routers page, log in, see if it has any errors, try to see if it shows anything different whilst disconnected. check manufacturers webpage if firmware uodate is available.

if youre desperate you could use bridged connection from laptop to desktop to circumvent the problem
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

wifi just sucks, i bought a wifi adapter for my pc to avoid cables running through the house but wifi failed me
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
No Flag JonBata
Crossbow

Post by JonBata »

I'm having this issue where I joing games and play but eventually up to 20 mins in. Even when I'm in a lobby it'll tell me after some time the host canceled the game or kicked me out but they don't do such thing and when I try joining again it'll say unknown for a while. I tried setting the ip address to static and didn't do the trick neither moving my comp to get the ethernet. Think in stuck until definitive edition. Any help is welcome please and thank you!