Return-to-work hotkey not working !?

No Flag ehyn
Crossbow

Return-to-work hotkey not working !?

Post by ehyn »

Do you guys use return-to-work hotkey in the TC?
For me, I would love to use it as in AOE2, where I can garrison my vils near TC under raid and when it's over, one click, and all vils return to where they were tasked to do.
However, in AOE3 this button seems to be useful only after triggering the town bell that nobody uses. i.e. if I manually garrison vils hunting or chopping trees near my TC, pressing return-to-work hotkey doesn't send them back accordingly. Do I really have no choice but to eject them all and re-task every single vil?

If not, then I wish DE would feature it. If yes, please tell me how.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Re: Return-to-work hotkey not working !?

Post by Riotcoke »

Vills don't remember where they working, you have to manually do it, which is far better anyway because if you're garrisoning your vills you should be microing them in and out to reduce idle.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Canada vividlyplain
Lancer
ESO: vividlyplain

Post by vividlyplain »

ehyn wrote:Do you guys use return-to-work hotkey in the TC?
For me, I would love to use it as in AOE2, where I can garrison my vils near TC under raid and when it's over, one click, and all vils return to where they were tasked to do.
However, in AOE3 this button seems to be useful only after triggering the town bell that nobody uses. i.e. if I manually garrison vils hunting or chopping trees near my TC, pressing return-to-work hotkey doesn't send them back accordingly. Do I really have no choice but to eject them all and re-task every single vil?

yeah you've gotta micro that... don't ring the bell (you can even disable the hotkey) and your eco will be more efficient while you're being raided
No Flag ehyn
Crossbow

Post by ehyn »

Riotcoke wrote:Vills don't remember where they working, you have to manually do it, which is far better anyway because if you're garrisoning your vills you should be microing them in and out to reduce idle.
I don't see why it's far better. Isn't it better if vils remember what they were doing ?
For ex you've set up eco for some strat, like 10 on gold and every other one on food.
You got raid.
Gold vil and some food vil in danger. Into TC.
Danger gone.
Option 1: they remember what they're doing. One button. Done. (like in aoe2)
Option 2: they forget everything. You select some to gold. You misclicked and now it's 8 on gold. You select some back to food. You misclicked and herd accidentally in the wrong direction. Some vils bumped into each other. You regarrison them and eject them on the other side to save walking time. You found that now you have too many on gold. You retask them to food but herds were gone. You pulled another vil to herd. You forget to queue up military. You queue up some. Raid coming again. You lose the game.
And why it is better again?
No Flag ehyn
Crossbow

Post by ehyn »

vividlyplain wrote:
ehyn wrote:Do you guys use return-to-work hotkey in the TC?

yeah you've gotta micro that... don't ring the bell (you can even disable the hotkey) and your eco will be more efficient while you're being raided
Yes. Bell is awfully designed. I also disabled them to avoid misclicking which i do as much as I breathe.

I'm not sure what I'm feeling about not having this option. Sure, micro is one part of RTS game, but with the time a lot of features are added, some low-level micro stuffs are removed to make game play smoother and easier. People would have some more important decisions to make and it doesn't make game itself easier by any means.
Remember back when AOE1 were launched, there were no unit queue, no gather point, no attack move...
Then in AOE3 the resource gather spot are even removed.
People who are accustomed to lower-level micro would see it as a part of the game and don't want to change because they have got the skills and that's one reason that make them stand out. If simplified, then they have trained themselves for nothing.
IMO, having a correct return-to-work button is as important as having gather points, unit queue and idle villager finding.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

ehyn wrote:
Riotcoke wrote:Vills don't remember where they working, you have to manually do it, which is far better anyway because if you're garrisoning your vills you should be microing them in and out to reduce idle.
I don't see why it's far better. Isn't it better if vils remember what they were doing ?
For ex you've set up eco for some strat, like 10 on gold and every other one on food.
You got raid.
Gold vil and some food vil in danger. Into TC.
Danger gone.
Option 1: they remember what they're doing. One button. Done. (like in aoe2)
Option 2: they forget everything. You select some to gold. You misclicked and now it's 8 on gold. You select some back to food. You misclicked and herd accidentally in the wrong direction. Some vils bumped into each other. You regarrison them and eject them on the other side to save walking time. You found that now you have too many on gold. You retask them to food but herds were gone. You pulled another vil to herd. You forget to queue up military. You queue up some. Raid coming again. You lose the game.
And why it is better again?
Because when you're belled up in your tc it's, most of the time, early game or at a timing push. And it's likely there's hunt next to your tc or crates, it makes sense to micro your vills in and out of the tc to continue to gather, which in it'self is a skill. Also it's not like it's difficult to fix your macro after you've got your vills belled up, if it's early game you'll have something like 20-30 vills so it shouldn't be too hard to remacro, and if it's late game you shouldn't have all your vills belled up in one tc anyway.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV