Games Crash My PC

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Games Crash My PC

Post by deleted_user »

Hey, so I have this issue where certain games cause my PC to crash when I play them and I was hoping for some feedback on what might be wrong. My GPU and CPU drivers are up to date.
PC SPECS:
3 years ago I replaced my PSU with a similar PSU which resolved this previous issue of my games crashing: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=8989&p=193461#p193461

Aoe3 doesn't crash if I have the graphics on low, but if I have the graphics on high, it'll crash. I can run aoe3 on low graphics indefinitely.

Apex legends will crash every ~30 mins. Fallout 4 on max graphics won't crash, Tabletop simulator won't crash, Star Wars: Empire at War won't crash, but Overwatch will (and some other games). There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason which games cause this, but more than half of the games I will try to play crash my PC.

When I check my CPU and GPU temps w/HWinfo after a crash, they're completely normal (~50-60 C).

Here are a couple of diagnostic screenshots from Windows Reliability History. The "dip" is the couple of weeks I tried to play Apex Legends.
Daily
Weekly
I don't know what to make of these -- all I see are some software things.

What's Wrong?

Is my GPU corrupted? Do I need more RAM? Should I install/clear more disc space?
Canada Cocaine
Lancer
ESO: Cow God

Re: Games Crash My PC

Post by Cocaine »

Hi!

As anyone will probably tell you to be the first step towards a fix is to completely reinstall windows on your PC.. I know this will be annoying to reinstall everything but, it will rule out software issue. If the games still crash after after that it means its a hardware issue..
A little Cocaine never hurt nobody!

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

I put in a support ticket with Basement IT for you.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

Could be short on RAM? If there is memory leak you could find yourself short on RAM, forcing the application to crash. That's only my very unknowledgeable guess though. On the plus side RAM is cheap anyway and going to 16 or 32GB is probably recommended anyway.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

Add ram. Cheap upgrade
mad cuz bad
United States of America gustavusadolphus
Lancer

Post by gustavusadolphus »

When you get a crash are you getting BSOD or is the program just closing?
10000 gallon fiberglass, FNS plus DE filter 48 square foot, ray pack Mini Max 512 BTU gas heater, one Sip n Oodle, NO ZEOSAND
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

just performed a factory reset and going to install 8 GB more RAM tomorrow that I'll buy from some guy on craigslist.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

OK I performed the factory reset, I installed 16 more GB of RAM (24 GB total) and still experienced the issue (the "test" would be to launch aoe3. If it immediately crashed w/high graphics turned on then the problem wasn't fixed). I deactivated my GTX 970 GPU and enabled my integrated CPU graphics card via BIOS. It was too low to run aoe3 integrated (got the error message); however, I booted it briefly and got massive fps drops but the PC didn't crash in the menus with high graphics enabled. So I think I narrowed it down to a GPU hardware issue.

Just installed a new GPU today and the problem appears to be fixed. Thanks y'all. Dunno what happened.
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

Most weird GPU issues I've had were due to an insufficient power supply. Were the problems you had years ago, leading to you to upgrade your PSU, with the same GPU? Maybe you had some permanent hardware damage that finally manifested itself.
France Guigs
Tournament Admin
ESO: Guigs

Post by Guigs »

deleted_user wrote:OK I performed the factory reset, I installed 16 more GB of RAM (24 GB total) and still experienced the issue (the "test" would be to launch aoe3. If it immediately crashed w/high graphics turned on then the problem wasn't fixed). I deactivated my GTX 970 GPU and enabled my integrated CPU graphics card via BIOS. It was too low to run aoe3 integrated (got the error message); however, I booted it briefly and got massive fps drops but the PC didn't crash in the menus with high graphics enabled. So I think I narrowed it down to a GPU hardware issue.

Just installed a new GPU today and the problem appears to be fixed. Thanks y'all. Dunno what happened.
Did you make sure you have power supply set on ultimate performance ?

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

musketeer925 wrote:Most weird GPU issues I've had were due to an insufficient power supply. Were the problems you had years ago, leading to you to upgrade your PSU, with the same GPU? Maybe you had some permanent hardware damage that finally manifested itself.
Yes, the problemsome GPU was same GPU as then. The original PSU unit was theoretically more than adequate but just kind of pooped out.

This seems like a good hypothesis, thanksh.
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

deleted_user wrote:
musketeer925 wrote:Most weird GPU issues I've had were due to an insufficient power supply. Were the problems you had years ago, leading to you to upgrade your PSU, with the same GPU? Maybe you had some permanent hardware damage that finally manifested itself.
Yes, the problemsome GPU was same GPU as then. The original PSU unit was theoretically more than adequate but just kind of pooped out.

This seems like a good hypothesis, thanksh.
Does seem like your PSU should be more than enough. Maybe your GPU was just a power-hungry bad egg the whole time. Or your PSU was faulty, and ended up killing the GPU because it failed to supply enough power.

https://www.newegg.com/tools/power-supply-calculator/