Re: New World Championship 2019 betting discussion

Post by yemshi »

^^'
Singapore Thrar
Retired Contributor
ESO: Thrar

Post by Thrar »

In the ECL betting using the same sheet scripts this also happened. There, for such games betting would be cancelled, i.e. no points spent or awarded.

I don't think you can run a betting competition like this purely on the honor system, simply telling people they shouldn't adjust their results after the fact without any way of verifying it. I don't even think that's sad; on the contrary as a player I'd expect that when a bet evidently didn't go through, I'd be able to reuse the points I had allocated there for something else instead. Intentional cheating would be a problem, but to me this is just trying to cope with what looks like an administrative issue.

Google Sheets scripting allows running functions using timed triggers. Perhaps that could be used to automatically close the bets for a match, e.g. 10 minutes before it's scheduled to take place?
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

no, i'm talking about people changing their bets to bet on the right outcome after the game was already played. It does kinda suck that GS wasn't there yesterday to pay out right after the games, or that he doesnt have anyone who can take over from him when he can't do it. But it's one thing to just take your points and bet on another match after you won a bet. It's another thing to try and save lost points by changing your wrong bet to the correct one. It happened at least 2x yesterday.
Germany eulergauss
Crossbow

Post by eulergauss »

I have bet 200 on perez winning 3:0 with odds like 30-1.
I hope i still get my earned points :dry:
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

yeah just take 5k points everytime somebody changes bets 5 minutes after a series started and DQ them if they do it again. Maybe issue a warning if someone is just slightly late because he changed bets and then turned on the stream to see that it is already under way
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Post by sebnan12 »

are we even allowed to replace bets when weve won pts? also, @fightinfrenchman
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

I think people betting 5 min too late is okay, most likely genuine. But yeah people changing bets after some games were played are just scummy and deserve to be banned from betting if they keep doing it
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I wasn't home yesterday and forgot about this entirely.
As long as the math checks out you're allowed. @sebnan12

Thrar wrote:In the ECL betting using the same sheet scripts this also happened. There, for such games betting would be cancelled, i.e. no points spent or awarded.
In ECL I cancelled them because I couldn't be bothered. I spent a good amount of time setting up the event, mainly in getting it to run smoothly with 500+ participants, but the event didn't have enough exposure to keep people interested or even for people to remember it existed. Like 300 people signed up but maybe 5% of them actually participated, here it's >50%. So for ECL I wasn't motivated enough to go through revision histories and undo late bets. Without more exposure that event was doomed to fail anyway.

Here what I do is I check the times people edited their sheets and whenever someone did so later than the match began I go through revision history and undo changed bets. It's a hassle, especially for 4 matches, but doable. I would penalize people but it's hard to tell if they did this knowingly. If it were me as a participant I would probably just visit the sheets and put points on whatever match was still open. I would assume the match hadn't been played if bets were open. I'm not gonna punish people for my mistake of forgetting about the event for an entire day.

Which has never happened before :hmm: I am less involved than I was when I still played the game and closely followed tournaments, so maybe scheduled triggers to close bets would be a good idea now. What I don't like about it is that matches tend to start late, and people should ideally have the opportunity to bet until it starts. I guess these days it's less common for matches to start late though.

EDIT: It actually wasn't so bad, most of you have been good. Only took 20 minutes :flowers:
EDIT2: Nvm, actually sheets home doesn't seem to sort correctly by date modified :huh:
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Can't you give some people (like staff/casters/players or whoever you trust) the ability to close a betting match by pressing a button on a sheet? Or is closing a betting match more complicated than that?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

It's a permissions issue. The script that closes bets accesses every player sheet, which only I have access to. I actually changed that for the AoE2 platform because accessing 500 player sheets took too long. I've been meaning to port that new platform to AoE3 as well, but there were some AoE2-specific changes that I would then have to undo. Not a lot though. I should just do it... :|
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Attention betters who were out of points: You are no more. Lady fortune smiles upon us all today, for all gamblers have been awarded another 1000 points to spend. Do so wisely!

Yesterday was the first time in this betting event where something truly unexpected happened. It was the very first match of the day, raikou_ vs ramex12. The clear favorite was ramex12, mostly thanks to a large bet of 12000 points on him by @TheNameDaniel, whose consistency streak and top 3 spot turned to dust after raikou_ pulled out a 3-2 victory. He almost made it to that elusive consistency score of 12 out of 12 matches, but fell to 40th place instead. Unlucky.
But he wasn't the only one who lost points that match. @Mitoe and @yemshi, who were both in the top 5, lost all of their points.

Some betters saw the great odds, crossed their fingers and threw some points on raikou_. With payout odds of 5.76 for raikou_ winning, there was potential for big profits there. At 11.74, the result odds were even better. @Cometk took advantage of both, with a perfect bet of 1060 on raikou_ winning and 1000 on his 3-2. He hits the jackpot and takes home 15786 points. Oh and he's now in first place. It be like that sometimes.
@sebnan12 is in second place now. In the same match, with a solid bet of 3000 on raikou_ winning, he won 14005 points. Also nothing to sneeze at.

With the top 3 averaging about 65% consistency, this is looking more like a regular betting event. It's always a matter of time before the upsets happen, and whoever saw it coming has the last laugh. Then again, we haven't yet heard the last laugh. There are still many matches to go, and the gap is not that big. As @Cometk proved yesterday, one only needs to place their 2060 points perfectly and at the right time, and to first place they fly.

Due to a design flaw in the betting platform, we can't have bets open for both best of 7 and best of 5 matches at the same time. Therefore we will skip the lower bracket round of 16 this week, and will only bet on the upper bracket round of 8. But first, we have one more upper bracket round of 16 match being played today at 19 GMT: Risi123 vs WickedCossack. Get your bets in!

[spoiler=tags]@Goodspeed
@XeeleeFlower
@Snuden
@j_t_kirk
@Sargsyan
@Kawapasaka
@Garja
@HUMMAN
@yemshi
@YungPinch
@Mitoe
@deleted_user
@Kynesie
@deleted_user2
@dicktator_
@edeholland
@Warno
@charlemango
@Lukas_L99
@Thrar
@idriss24
@oxaloacetate
@princeofkabul
@zoom
@bwinner
@BrookG
@Scroogie
@kaister
@KINGofOsmane
@Cometk
@EAGLEMUT
@blackwidow
@TheNameDaniel
@tabben
@MaJoOorchEf_GaZa
@tedere12
@bobabu
@gh0st
@jsimons1289
@GiBthedurrty
@Squamiger
@Ekosy
@sebnan12
@eulergauss
@Kaiserklein
@boyu
@Aykin Haraka
@SoldieR
@ForeverAndBeyond
@spanky4ever
@SSSSS93
@mino2
@deleted_user5
@Guigs
@Charlesh
@sheckler
@queenvalkat
@dishonored
@flontier
@ramex12
@fightinfrenchman
@Lunatic_Fringe
@thakronickid420
@Scifi
@vividlyplain
@MrRewindThat[/spoiler]
Great Britain TheNameDaniel
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: danielek

Post by TheNameDaniel »

When you think Ramex12 is Veni so you bet all your points cos you think he will stomp 3-0 and it turns out to be someone else ... haha :)
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

All in.
[Sith] - Baphomet
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

TheNameDaniel wrote:When you think Ramex12 is Veni so you bet all your points cos you think he will stomp 3-0 and it turns out to be someone else ... haha :)

and then you change your bet after you find out to make it seem like it didn't happen... haha :)
Advanced Player
Donator 01

Post by TheNameDaniel »

umeu wrote:
TheNameDaniel wrote:When you think Ramex12 is Veni so you bet all your points cos you think he will stomp 3-0 and it turns out to be someone else ... haha :)

and then you change your bet after you find out to make it seem like it didn't happen... haha :)

Yup, that was the plan!
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

How many points do I have now? I assume I'm gaining interest on them since I haven't used them
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Advanced Player
Donator 01

Post by TheNameDaniel »

2500 big boy @fightinfrenchman
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

I'd like to give 1 point to everyone else who is still in
Advanced Player
Donator 01

Post by TheNameDaniel »

I propose you go 2k on 3-0 to risi
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

vividlyplain wrote:@fightinfrenchman i will happily accept your donation!

I take it back
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

@Goodspeed 1500 donated to @deleted_user2 @vividlyplain @Warno @zoom

@Kawapasaka @thakronickid420 @sheckler if you would like some points tag me to let me know! better yet tag me and Goodspeed and he can immediately give you 1500 points from me. offer expires saturday 23:59 GMT
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Done
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

None of the lower bracket gaymez today being featured?
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

How gracious. I shall try to squander the points less quickly than I normally do. In that, the five most interesting (and soonest) series this week being unavailable for wagering should help. How about at least replacing Aizamk's and Diarouga's unscheduled series with their scheduled one?