NWC Tabben vs Kynesie - Bo7 QUALIFICATION SERIES (winner goes to LAN)

Australia robo
ESOC Media Team
ESO: robo_boro
Clan: sQad

NWC Tabben vs Kynesie - Bo7 QUALIFICATION SERIES (winner goes to LAN)

Post by robo »

The New World Championship Qualification Series

Written by Interjection...

Alright, ladies and gentlemen - we're LIVE in less than 2 hours now with the 6th qualification series of NWC. Tabben and Kynesie will go head to head to determine who is flown to Manchester in July to compete on our stage at the Escape Studio. Normally for this qualification event, we have been watching Best of 5s but for this series (every qualification series actually...) we're stepping it up to best of 7. This is interesting because it involves the ENTIRE NWC map pool (all 9 maps with 1 veto each). I mention this because of Kynesie being involved...

Kynesie is, of course, a very strong player. But we all know his specialty. He builds walls. And he builds boats. I imagine him as the samurai depicted in his avatar, but instead of a katana - he wields a dock and a fleet of fishing ships 8-) . For years now we've been watching him play his unique style - and he's become very good at it. He's a man with a LOT of experience on the water and is always a frightening opponent to be seeded against in any tournament. So I don't think many of us are surprised to see him here on the precipice of qualifying for this tournament. However... this particular tournament seems to have been more challenging for him than usual. The New World Championship is the first major tourney to use both a set map pool and a no repeat civ picking format. This means he now only gets to win once with his specialty civs (such as Japan and particularly Ports). This coupled with each player having a map veto means his opponent is always able to discard a map where he does well (usually the heaviest water map). He is however still capable on land, but he does seem to be a fish out of water on occasion. This was demonstrated in his previous qualification series vs Kaiserklein where he lost 4-1 - his only victory being a very impressive performance on New England. That being said though, he did come second in the previous major ESOC tourney where he also defeated Tabben.

Has Tabben improved since they last met though? Almost certainly. Tabben seems to have risen to the top very quickly. In the last couple of years he's become a Brigadier and has frequently appeared in the top 10 for ESOC Elo. Winning this series would truly & officially make him a top 8 player and would carry a lot of weight and respect (he'll earn himself a nice badge on the ESOC forums as will all of the top 8). Tabben is definitely a contender to win this series today - possibly the favorite given the format & Baja California vetoed out the way. The only truly scary map he'll have to deal with Kynesie on is New England (unless the series goes all the way to the final game where they'll end up on Florida). So he's probably feeling pretty good about that. But we expect this to still be very challenging. Tabben has had a rocky tournament road thus far so don't expect this to be another esocEZ showing like we saw from Kaiser. Earlier in this tournament, he unexpectedly struggled vs Risi123 and ended up being knocked into the lower bracket. This was a bit of an upset. Tabben also went 3-2 vs Lukas (that one was more expected). But the point is he's not picking up the wins easily without having to put up a good fight.

And that's what we're expecting to see today. A good fight and a pretty good series. Kynesie will be looking to pull out all the stops and get to Florida where he'll feel at home. Tabben needs to do everything in his power to win before that. I think the question is then... has Tabben improved enough to take the victory? Or will Kynesie win again like when they last met in the previous ESOC major. I suppose we'll find out today...

https://www.twitch.tv/escapeaoe
Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Re: NWC Tabben vs Kynesie - Winner goes to LAN

Post by Interjection »

Can we get this on the front page now and for the duration of the series? :)

@Media Team @Development Team @Community Team
France Aykin Haraka
Howdah
EWT
ESO: aykin

Post by Aykin Haraka »

tabout
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

#tt
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

inb4 mirin.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

Very entertaining series! WP both and congrats to @Kynesie

Interjection and Kaiser also did some good casting, especially Kaiser have improved a lot. He is practically never wrong when he predict what will happen within the next 1-2 minutes of the game.

I really enjoyed this series.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

And yeah... I won the betting.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Post by Interjection »

Was a great series, well done to Kynesie with the unpredictable plays
Sweden tabben
Lancer
EWTNWC LAN Bronze
ESO: tabben

Post by tabben »

Well played @Kynesie and good luck at LAN.

My scouting was off pretty much the first 4 games (losing 2x explorers for a 40f tres on thar.. Or seeing the early 600c shipment from jap too late in g1) but there were also some solid mind games from Kynesie. Like on NE I was so sure he'd full water with ports (or otto) so the TP+Pond play really caught me off guard. Also on Deccan I really didn't see the thugee/huss + mother nature push coming (thought he'd age and was just about to myself). Had the agra gone down I could probably have lost despite good eco, with no forward shipment point and only two awkwardly placed military buildings to produce from. On fertile and high plains my scouting/anticipation was more on point which let me make better adaptations.
Looking back on last game i was keeping up for a while, but just lacking experience in that matchup (and on that map in particular). First trade was good for me, then 30 jacked hussars happened.. EP really needs to buff Yumi Archers cav-killing abilities :chinese:
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Yeah, how dare hussars counter Yumi Archers
United States of America GiBthedurrty
Lancer
Donator 01
Clan: YumiW

Post by GiBthedurrty »

2 jan xD
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Not bad, a series that went down to the wire, keeping everyone on the edge of their seat.
There was so much unpredictable stuff happening that at one point I was even hoping that Kynesie would whip out a Sioux. But then I remembered they have no walls; that really tempered my hopes.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Yeah was nice that kynesie played mind games knowing that people expect him to do a very specific playstyle. Didn't quite work for deccan, but it worked well on kamchatka especially. Was interesting to cast
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

tabben wrote:Well played @Kynesie and good luck at LAN.

My scouting was off pretty much the first 4 games (losing 2x explorers for a 40f tres on thar.. Or seeing the early 600c shipment from jap too late in g1) but there were also some solid mind games from Kynesie. Like on NE I was so sure he'd full water with ports (or otto) so the TP+Pond play really caught me off guard. Also on Deccan I really didn't see the thugee/huss + mother nature push coming (thought he'd age and was just about to myself). Had the agra gone down I could probably have lost despite good eco, with no forward shipment point and only two awkwardly placed military buildings to produce from. On fertile and high plains my scouting/anticipation was more on point which let me make better adaptations.
Looking back on last game i was keeping up for a while, but just lacking experience in that matchup (and on that map in particular). First trade was good for me, then 30 jacked hussars happened.. EP really needs to buff Yumi Archers cav-killing abilities :chinese:

Thanks a lot for the very entertaining games. But why didn't you get guard yumi as Japan in the last game?
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

LAGnesie becomes LANnesie? :O
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Post by sebnan12 »

that deccan ceasefire was one of the lamest things ive whitnessed in aoe 3
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

Incredible series, nicely done from both! I want to share some intersting statistics about age ups. In all his series, kynesie went to Imperial Age only with Portuguese, and in fact he would have been the sole player ever going to Imperial in the tournament, unless that game of Risi123 (British) vs. WickedCossack (Russians) (RO16) in Deccan hadn't ended sooner.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
France Kynesie
ESOC Pro Team
ESO: kynesie

Post by Kynesie »

tabben wrote:Well played @Kynesie and good luck at LAN.

ggs
Jap playing standart can t really deal with a good brit, so they need to be agressive in any way. Going huss instead of musk on deccan vs full cipaye was bad,but it's easier to realize it after.
After thar desert game, fortunately i could afford to wait for florida. Clearly your lack of experience hurt you here. Jap FI may seem the better strat, but it s just to slow, walls are up, eco is stable. Actually jap FF get a such better window.
France Aykin Haraka
Howdah
EWT
ESO: aykin

Post by Aykin Haraka »

umeu wrote:LAGnesie becomes LANnesie? :O

looks like we will never see umoob play at lan
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Lol at the naked jap ff, when I do it it's "omg ur build is nub no eco bla bla". And I do it with an arguably more efficient card order.
Image Image Image
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Aykin Haraka wrote:
umeu wrote:LAGnesie becomes LANnesie? :O

looks like we will never see umoob play at lan

I doubt well ever get the joy of seeing tits there either
France Kynesie
ESOC Pro Team
ESO: kynesie

Post by Kynesie »

Garja wrote:Lol at the naked jap ff, when I do it it's "omg ur build is nub no eco bla bla". And I do it with an arguably more efficient card order.

What is your bo ? I really like kami 600w 600g 8 ashi 8ashi vs brit. Brit use to down some shrine before push, so you can age and then ashi are just too good for age 2 brit..
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

4v 600g
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

600g 600g and shrines on wood for shrines and market ups. Shrine count like 130 (110 if you really want a safety rax).
The only downside is that it's more scoutable but it should be more efficient because you don't move vills around and they only gather food. Also it times with cons switch to jap.
Image Image Image
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

600g 600g LUL