Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Re: NWC Tournament Disqualifications - Tit and kynesie

Post by Riotcoke »

Imperial Noob wrote:
Riotcoke wrote:Why are you two talking to each other through a forum?

What sort of peanunt brain comment is that?
Have you never had anyone that you know irl on the same forum?

I was just asking a question, no need to be militant

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Kaiserklein wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:Imo he was easily a top 8 player this tournament, out of the people who signed up and didn't get DQ'd. That's what I mean by people not giving him enough credit. When you say it's undeserved, you imply that he's not a top 8 player. I think he was here.
I mean, he lost to risi in the main bracket. And then he lost to kynesie, who was already at the bottom of top 8 I think (I kind of bashed him in my qualification series).
I think tabben is maybe top 8 in casual games, but he usually performs poorly in tournaments. You say he was "easily" top 8 in this tourney, that implies that he'd easily beat soldier and wicked for example? We'll never know I guess. He didn't beat Lukas "easily" either.
And Prince lost to turk in the main bracket. That wasn't even a 3-2. And he went on to beat Wicked more convincingly than Mitoe could. Tit almost beat snowww, who almost beat Raffle.

I think the civ picking rules contributed to these weird results. Having the winner pick first every time often leads to close series and can make even long series feel like best of 3's, where only one thing needs to go wrong for a victory to slip through your fingers even if you're the better player. This is the reason we went for alternating first picks at the time, and I believe the current rules to be misguided. But that's another discussion.

The only player who qualified unscathed was you, really. Looking at overall play I think tabben's performance was top 8. Agree to disagree.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Yep, alternative pick makes much more sense.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

2-3 loss vs Risi
3-2 win vs lukas
3-0 win vs kingofcaptainslayer
4-3 loss vs kynesie (bo7, with his restricted civ pool, veto system, civ picking rules different to earlier tourneys)

can be perceived more deserved than?

3-0 win mongo
3-1 win vs risi
4-3 loss vs mitoe
4-2 loss vs prince

Soldier's bracket was dirty easy and his only significant win was vs umeu, after then getting 4-0 sweep'd
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

somppukunkku wrote:2-3 loss vs Risi
3-2 win vs lukas
3-0 win vs kingofcaptainslayer
4-3 loss vs kynesie (bo7, with his restricted civ pool, veto system, civ picking rules different to earlier tourneys)

can be perceived more deserved than?

3-0 win mongo
3-1 win vs risi
4-3 loss vs mitoe
4-2 loss vs prince
Since when are any of those players any good? :chinese:
The rules favor close series. The entire bracket is a mess, people had disappointing results across the board (exception Kaiser). I'm going by gameplay, not scores.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Goodspeed wrote:I think the civ picking rules contributed to these weird results. Having the winner pick first every time often leads to close series and can make even long series feel like best of 3's, where only one thing needs to go wrong for a victory to slip through your fingers even if you're the better player. This is the reason we went for alternating first picks at the time, and I believe the current rules to be misguided. But that's another discussion.
[Armag] diarouga wrote:Yep, alternative pick makes much more sense.

Why? The only thing these rules change is game 3, where the winner locks first for a second time. This prevents the 3-0 blowout from being as likely a result, marginally. In a 3-1 series, the player who lost game 1 still gets the exact same number of opportunities to counterpick. These rules from the past tourney are superior to older rules for a few reasons, including the ease-of-understanding and more sensical flow once playing with them in-game.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

Let's be realistic though, counterpicks matter maybe only where the level of the players is roughly equal. And that is usually in the later rounds, otherwise the better player can win with any civ
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Great Britain TheNameDaniel
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: danielek

Post by TheNameDaniel »

Kaiserklein wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:Imo he was easily a top 8 player this tournament, out of the people who signed up and didn't get DQ'd. That's what I mean by people not giving him enough credit. When you say it's undeserved, you imply that he's not a top 8 player. I think he was here.

I mean, he lost to risi in the main bracket. And then he lost to kynesie, who was already at the bottom of top 8 I think (I kind of bashed him in my qualification series).
I think tabben is maybe top 8 in casual games, but he usually performs poorly in tournaments. You say he was "easily" top 8 in this tourney, that implies that he'd easily beat soldier and wicked for example? We'll never know I guess. He didn't beat Lukas "easily" either.

But Mitoe is considered easily top 8 and he nearly lost to wicked the score was 4-3
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

We saw a good diversity of all results. 3-0, 3-1, 3-2, 4-0, 4-1, 4-2, 4-3. I'm very happy with how Smackdown rules turned out.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우슀

Post by n0el »

Mitoe always loses more games than he should.
mad cuz bad
Sweden tabben
Lancer
EWTNWC LAN Bronze
ESO: tabben

Post by tabben »

I get the feeling that sompp and maybe others underrate Lukas quite a bit. His bracket turned into a nightmare with RetiredRapha returning last-minute, and then me losing surprisingly early in upper bracket. He put up a good fight vs Rapha (up 1-0 and had a good shot at winning the sioux mirror in game 2 as well as aztecs vs russia). He's definitely a scary opponent, especially with his main civs (I'd say China, Sioux & Aztecs) in a bo5. He was also doing really well on ladder vs top players before the tourney, like beating mitoe flawlessly with his main civs and also winning vs kynesie's Port/Jap with China/Sioux respectively.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Alternate pick makes much more sense from a fairness perspective, but winner picking first makes for more even series. It does feel stupid to be rewarding losing though.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Cometk wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:I think the civ picking rules contributed to these weird results. Having the winner pick first every time often leads to close series and can make even long series feel like best of 3's, where only one thing needs to go wrong for a victory to slip through your fingers even if you're the better player. This is the reason we went for alternating first picks at the time, and I believe the current rules to be misguided. But that's another discussion.
[Armag] diarouga wrote:Yep, alternative pick makes much more sense.

Why? The only thing these rules change is game 3, where the winner locks first for a second time. This prevents the 3-0 blowout from being as likely a result, marginally. In a 3-1 series, the player who lost game 1 still gets the exact same number of opportunities to counterpick. These rules from the past tourney are superior to older rules for a few reasons, including the ease-of-understanding and more sensical flow once playing with them in-game.
Because God forbid a player who is clearly better would win 3-0?

Momentum is a thing. The worse player, with these rules, objectively has more chances for a comeback.
Say you're up 2-0 and map 4 is one you haven't practiced. Suddenly it's 2-2 and they have momentum. Would've been 3-0 with fair rules.

You removed the significance of "breaking" someone's counter pick.
To illustrate, tennis. Imagine what would happen if you always had the loser of the previous game serve in the next. You'd get a bunch of really close sets, and the chances of the best player winning are lowered.

Normally, in a best of 3 anything can happen between 2 relatively even players. But in a best of 9, you can be pretty sure the better player will win. With these rules, you have somewhat negated this effect and made it less likely that the better player wins. Imho in a tournament, especially one with high stakes, that is misguided.

But close series are exciting and the better player will most likely still win. It's not a huge deal.
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

@Goodspeed I'll give you a thorough response when I'm home, but I believe you're wrong.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

I think the winner picking first puts far too much emphasis on whoever wins the first game of the series, as the game basically becomes a game of counters.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Winner picks first is indeed a way to make series closer. It doesn't benefit none of the players in the end, but definetely affects the score of series.
Image Image Image
Pakistan iamyawer
Crossbow
ESO: iamyawer

Post by iamyawer »

So basically if kynsie had used same proxy for logging in, he would have been fine. There are many people on darkweb doing shit and are never getting caught.
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

I wonder what is the % of counter pick wins. If it is like %60 i guess its fine.
United States of America lesllamas
Lancer

Post by lesllamas »

“Momentum is a thing”

“If I go up 2-0 it’s not fair to give the other person a counterpick, they’ll potentially get too much momentum!”

“They’ll get so much more momentum in games 3 and 4 than I got in games 1 and 2!”

It’s always been rather infuriating to see the same 4 people on this forum refuse to acknowledge that winner picks first is:

1) Not statistically more or less likely than alternating pick to result in any one player winning a series

2) Less likely to result in unfair momentum for the LOSER of game 1 (in alternating pick BO5 if the loser breaks the winner’s first counterpick they get an immediate best shot counterpick of their own, acquiring their second counterpick before the winner of game 1 despite being on a closeout match)

3) Not the reason why any one player lost a series they otherwise should have won. If you go up 2-0 and lose on both of your own counterpicks in games 4 and 5 you deserved to lose the series.

The one thing that alternating vs winner picks first don’t account for very well are maps. Obv maps are v important parts of how counterpicks play out. Alternating pick might make planning for which maps you might experience what matchups on a bit easier, but depending on which two players are going at it, alternating pick may just give one player distinctly better map counterpicks in one series and distinctly worse in the next (with the same map order and pool) depending on their opponent and civs.

The vast majority of organized competitions operate on WPF (or gives up possession): soccer, football, basketball, hockey, most esports. The few here in the aoe3 community aren’t the first to consider the issue and I don’t believe there’s any insight garja, gs, h20, or diarouga have on the issue (as a general concept) that hasn’t already been considered, asked, and answered. In perhaps the most excuse ridden competitive community I’ve been a part of, though, it doesn’t surprise me that they’d look at the ruleset and claim it unfairly took wins away from the “rightful” winners. Buck up and play. It’s fair, and if you lose it wasn’t because the rules screwed you.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Ofc it favours the worse player. It makes it easier for the worse player to win games. So obviously easier to win the whole series lol.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Kaiserklein wrote:Ofc it favours the worse player. It makes it easier for the worse player to win games. So obviously easier to win the whole series lol.

How does it make it easier for the worse player to win the series when he's getting counterpicked in games 4 and 5?
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

It gives the worse player opportunities to win more games. It's that simple. So it makes it easier for him to win the series. There's nothing to discuss really lol
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Sigh. Not true Kaiser. "Momentum" is the only thing that might differ the outcome. Probability of winning some games becomes higher but winning series remains same if momentum is out of equation. Simple statistics...
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

It's kinda the same. Remember, if the worse player wins a game, then he is couterpicked on. If he loses a lot, he counter picks a lot, but then that ofc means he's lost a lot, which means series is probably over.
United States of America lesllamas
Lancer

Post by lesllamas »

At no point does losing a game improve your chances of winning a set.

But if you’re convinced of that, I recommend you try it and prove us all wrong! Strategic forfeiture, will we see it at LAN???