No
62%

Total votes: 13

New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Doppelsoldner Hitpoints Buff Revert

Post by zoom »

Should we revert a change that's not very significant to begin with, to a unit that's the best of its kind – of a civilization that is considered strong and set to benefit from the Crossbowman buff?

I'm happy to go with whatever players prefer.
:flowers:
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Re: Doppelsoldner Hitpoints Buff Revert

Post by Cometk »

Even if it were an insignificant viability change on paper (which I do not believe it is), the change in player behavior that makes incorporating dopps into one’s build order much more common than it was previously makes it very worth keeping in the EP (+1 viability, +1 build diversity). An issue might only arise if players still considered doppelsoldners to be too bad, but I strongly believe that dopps being good has very little to do with players’ impression that Germany is presently overpowered.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

It's 4.35%. I don't think that it's insignificant, though.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

The key point here is why they got buffed.
Compensation for ulhan nerf seems like the most logical reason. However dopps are already ok per cost. Xbows should be buffed instead.
Image Image Image
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Garja wrote:The key point here is why they got buffed.
Compensation for ulhan nerf seems like the most logical reason. However dopps are already ok per cost. Xbows should be buffed instead.
That was indeed the only deciding reason, at the time. The Crossbowman is being buffed. The question is whether this buff should then remain or be reverted.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

I doubt it was only because of uhlan hp being nerfed. The unit was definitely considered underwhelming in most match ups. And now on ep with extra hp, they're often still not very good.

I personally don't see the point of reverting that, as it's a nice change that incentivizes colonial play, as well the use of an underused unit. Incidentally, it buffs germany a bit on no tp maps too, as you're more likely to play colonial there. And it doesn't really buff germany's standard strats either, which are the ones people complain about. In fact, it's quite similar to the xbow buff, in terms of consequences (talking about germany only).

Also, as you pointed out yourself Zoi, the 10 hp difference doesn't even matter much in a lot of cases, as it doesn't really change the breaking points, at least vs ranged units (not like you're really gonna try to fight dops in melee anyway, most of the time). It's mostly about euro musks needing 1 more shot to kill them, and imo that's justified, as dops feel extremely underwhelming vs musks and good micro.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

For the record ulhan dopp xbow was already viable with 230hp dopps. If you get a good surround on musk it's pretty much gg. And you can always add xbows if too musk heavy.
Image Image Image
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

xbow/dop does okayish vs musk huss or pure musk, but it still loses if opponent can micro well. I'm ready to try anytime, with even resources invested. Can even add some free uhlans.

I know it cause I've won countless games with xbow/dop/uhlan as a follow up after tower rush, but that's always because they mismicro or took too much damage early on. Whenever it's an even game and the opponent microes well, you just lose the fight.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Im talking more about classic ulhan dopp +8 bow timing on a a generic musk cav combo.
Image Image Image
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Well unless you catch him in your base with mm or something, I don't really see that working, as long as he has enough musks
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Funny thing is you can proxy mm cause mm will never get touched anyway. But ye I mean at about 8-10 min. Having the not perfect combo is compensated by having extra military pop.
Image Image Image
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Kaiserklein wrote:I doubt it was only because of uhlan hp being nerfed. The unit was definitely considered underwhelming in most match ups. And now on ep with extra hp, they're often still not very good.

I personally don't see the point of reverting that, as it's a nice change that incentivizes colonial play, as well the use of an underused unit. Incidentally, it buffs germany a bit on no tp maps too, as you're more likely to play colonial there. And it doesn't really buff germany's standard strats either, which are the ones people complain about. In fact, it's quite similar to the xbow buff, in terms of consequences (talking about germany only).

Also, as you pointed out yourself Zoi, the 10 hp difference doesn't even matter much in a lot of cases, as it doesn't really change the breaking points, at least vs ranged units (not like you're really gonna try to fight dops in melee anyway, most of the time). It's mostly about euro musks needing 1 more shot to kill them, and imo that's justified, as dops feel extremely underwhelming vs musks and good micro.
What I am saying, is that I am confident, in that it would never have been made, at the time, if the Uhlan hadn't also been nerfed.

As I have said many times, I'm fine with keeping this change, if players want to.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

If our only goal with this change was compensating for the uhlan nerf, we would've simply nerfed uhlans less. Iirc my thought at the time was "I'll take any excuse to buff this unit".
One of the changes in patch philosophy is to do more viability changes. Why revert one of the only viability changes we did make in the earlier patches?

Dopps are one of the very few legitimately unique units in the game and should be made more viable if anything, not less.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Well that's what we did nerfing ulhans by 5hp only.
And to answer why to revert, it is to buff xbows instead (a real buff, not just the aim thing). As Germans player I'd take an xbow buff over 10hp dopp buff any day. And xbow buff comes with other pros too.
Anyway it's not clear to me if ulhan hp is being reverted for the cost nerf instead. If that's the case I don't think dopp need 10 more hp.
Image Image Image
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Garja wrote:And to answer why to revert, it is to buff xbows instead (a real buff, not just the aim thing).
What's wrong with it? Xbows miss roughly 7% of the time, so fixing that is kind of equivalent to giving them +1 attack on average. Except it's more elegant than that, and it also gets rid of some shitty RNG. I don't think bows need more than +1 attack anyway.
I mean, it seriously pisses me when I ship 8 bows and they don't one shoot a musk because one of them miss. For the record that happens almost half the time (0.07^8 = 0.45). Just doesn't really make any sense.
Garja wrote:As Germans player I'd take an xbow buff over 10hp dopp buff any day. And xbow buff comes with other pros too.
I'd say ger can use both of these buffs, as their colonial really isn't great. Provided that their stronger strats are properly nerfed of course. And like other german colonial buffs, it's also indirectly a buff for no tp maps, which is good.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Aim buff is nice but I doubt it's enough. I don't think German colo needs both dopp and ulhan and xbow buff.
Image Image Image
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Garja wrote:Well that's what we did nerfing ulhans by 5hp only.
And to answer why to revert, it is to buff xbows instead (a real buff, not just the aim thing). As Germans player I'd take an xbow buff over 10hp dopp buff any day. And xbow buff comes with other pros too.
Why not both?
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Idk, suddendly Germans need a colonial buff because they're weak?
Image Image Image