GS needs to update his guide....
:nwc:
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Re: [SKG] WickedCossack vs [NN] Goodspeed

Post by XeeleeFlower »

WickedCossack wrote:I hope @XeeleeFlower invitation is still open :P
Of course it is! You just need to bring wine so that I may further drown my sorrows.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

You have to witness goodspeed in person to fully realize how little shits he gives about (playing) AoE.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

It was actually fun tbh. Made me want to play Sioux more. Shame they're about to rework the civ again :chinese:

Expected a little more solidarity in the civ selection in g1 though. Here I am having played like 3 games in the last 2 years and being forced to play either an India mirror, a match up I've never liked and you undoubtedly know very well, or blind pick...
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

If I lost my team 5 points I'd not label it as fun.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Goodspeed wrote:It was actually fun tbh. Made me want to play Sioux more. Shame they're about to rework the civ again :chinese:

Expected a little more solidarity in the civ selection in g1 though. Here I am having played like 3 games in the last 2 years and being forced to play either an India mirror, a match up I've never liked and you undoubtedly know very well, or blind pick...
I also understand Wicked doesn't want to risk anything in the first game. I guess nobody really knew how you would perform.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

deleted_user wrote:If I lost my team 5 points I'd not label it as fun.
We do what we can.. I think that one went wrong at buying me for 1300 and putting me up against a player like WC in the first place :P
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

edeholland wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:It was actually fun tbh. Made me want to play Sioux more. Shame they're about to rework the civ again :chinese:

I also understand Wicked doesn't want to risk anything in the first game. I guess nobody really knew how you would perform.
Regardless the process didn't feel fair. I think you need better rules for it. Shouldn't be acceptable to suggest only civ counters and refuse 12/14 mirrors.
Having said that the civ dance was fun too. Who doesn't love banter
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

Goodspeed wrote:
edeholland wrote:

Regardless the process didn't feel fair. I think you need better rules for it. Shouldn't be acceptable to suggest only civ counters and refuse 12/14 mirrors.
Maybe there should be the option to pick "mirror" in a blind pick where you just mirror whatever the opponent has chosen. This would favour those that do want to play mirrors but that doesn't sound less unfair than forcing a blind pick. Of course, if both players do this, they are assigned a random mirror matchup which may be problematic.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

sioux is so much fun :D please stop zoo!
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

edeholland wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Maybe there should be the option to pick "mirror" in a blind pick where you just mirror whatever the opponent has chosen. This would favour those that do want to play mirrors but that doesn't sound less unfair than forcing a blind pick. Of course, if both players do this, they are assigned a random mirror matchup which may be problematic.
Well the thing is I don't even like mirrors either, but the rules basically force them because any non-mirror match up that gets suggested is typically good for one side. You'll note we started by picking non-mirrors but it quickly became clear that wasn't gonna work. Iirc the only non-counter that was suggested was Jap vs India. Like am I really supposed to play into his Dutch with French on a no TP map? I don't think Sioux vs Russia on no TP is bad for Russia either, I thought I was being generous there but it was refused as well.

Maybe it would be easier on TP maps come to think of it.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

Goodspeed wrote:
edeholland wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Well the thing is I don't even like mirrors either, but the rules basically force them because any non-mirror match up that gets suggested is typically good for one side. You'll note we started by picking non-mirrors but it quickly became clear that wasn't gonna work. Iirc the only non-counter that was suggested was Jap vs India. Like am I really supposed to play into his Dutch with French on a no TP map? I don't think Sioux vs Russia on no TP is bad for Russia either, I thought I was being generous there but it was refused as well.

Maybe it would be easier on TP maps come to think of it.
Isn't the game overall more balance on TP maps nowadays? It would make sense that it would make the process easier. Especially since Wicked mostly proposed matchups where you would get a tp-dependant civ. Maybe we should make sure the first map is always a fair & balanced one (so one without water and with TP's).
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

It would've helped in this case, but either way this rule set seems to favor players who insist on a match up that is good for them. Like regardless you shouldn't be allowed to refuse 12/14 mirrors imo.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

why not. blind pick seems fairer to me than to be forced into a mirror u dont want to play.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Blind pick has no place in competitive AoE3. Should never be an option
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Ideally the issue of counterpicking wouldn't arise if game was balanced, cuz then all civs would be relatively similar. The MU would then be decided on players playstyle and strategy which would be ideal.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Goodspeed wrote:Blind pick has no place in competitive AoE3. Should never be an option

forcing a mirror has no place either imo. forcing any mu tbh has no place. i'd rather be forced to lock into sioux vs india on no tp than to be forced into an india mirror.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

princeofcarthage wrote:Ideally the issue of counterpicking wouldn't arise if game was balanced, cuz then all civs would be relatively similar. The MU would then be decided on players playstyle and strategy which would be ideal.
You would have the exact same issue.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

instead of blind pick, could have players list 5 mu's they'd play. and then see if any are the same.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

umeu wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:Blind pick has no place in competitive AoE3. Should never be an option
forcing a mirror has no place either imo. forcing any mu tbh has no place. i'd rather be forced to lock into sioux vs india on no tp than to be forced into an india mirror.
How else do you make sure it's fair? Non-mirror suggestions are just civ counter after civ counter. And if the players refuse every remotely even match up suggested, how do you deal with that?
Germany amiggo1999
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: miggo1999

Post by amiggo1999 »

why sign up on a tourney when you don't intend to practice at all, but then be impossible to negotiate with on a MU?
Image Image