500$ Nr 20 1v1 tournament updated

Would you participate in the nr 20 tournament?

Yes
61%
No
39%

Total votes: 69

No Flag [TLDT]Amsterda
Dragoon
ESO: Amsterda

500$ Nr 20 1v1 tournament updated

Post by [TLDT]Amsterda »

Doing an interest check since the nr 20 3v3 tournament thread got a decent amount of interest relative to how unrealistic I thought it'd be.
If come to be the tournament would be played on re patch, preliminary map pool would be Andes, Deccan, Great Plains, Painted Desert and Siberia in some order but probably one to two map bans for each player in the earlier rounds for bo1/bo3 and the prize pool would probably be around 500$, probably more if there's a lot of signups and possibly less if there's just enough for a weekend tournament.

If you're interested in participating and you're a good player posting in the thread on top of answering the poll would be appreciated, might make it more likely to happen and I'd also like to hear your views on whether china/french should be banned or if all civilizations should be allowed.

EDIT: Decided to do minimum 500$ regardless of amount of entrants, the tournament is not pay to play and the prize pool will be funded exclusively by me unless people want to donate to add more onto the prize pool.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Re: Nr 20 1v1 tournament

Post by princeofcarthage »

In, no ban on civs but would like more diverse map pool
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag [TLDT]Amsterda
Dragoon

Post by [TLDT]Amsterda »

princeofcarthage wrote:In, no ban on civs but would like more diverse map pool

Your opinion will be taken into consideration, I know you'd like some esoc maps in the map pool but I'm not sure which if any that I would consider appropriate and I'm not sure what the consensus is regarding whether there should be some water maps or not. Personally I think if there's going to be water maps it should probably 8 whale maps rather than 6 but definitely not 4.
United States of America HeadKilla
Lancer
The Big Game Hunter - Bronze ElephantDonator Best
ESO: Headkilla

Post by HeadKilla »

I would do this if there was an appropriate division for me to be in. Of all the NR, I like 20 the best.
Retired Contributor

[TLDT]Amsterda wrote:

Your opinion will be taken into consideration, I know you'd like some esoc maps in the map pool but I'm not sure which if any that I would consider appropriate and I'm not sure what the consensus is regarding whether there should be some water maps or not. Personally I think if there's going to be water maps it should probably 8 whale maps rather than 6 but definitely not 4.

Theoretically (and practically) speaking most games get decided by your boom, start army, and decisions in time frame of 20-25 mins, anything exceeding that is mostly nr40 mechanics, so while China and france unless punished become practically unbeatable after 25th min, there is a good chance that depending on map somewhat relative balance could be achieved for the first few mins. To example: would be India vs port on a low hunt map is quite fair for first few mins. ( which is most likely game deciding )
No Flag [TLDT]Amsterda
Dragoon

Post by [TLDT]Amsterda »

HeadKilla wrote:I would do this if there was an appropriate division for me to be in. Of all the NR, I like 20 the best.
Perhaps there could be a second chance tournament, would that be something of interest?
Germany amiggo1999
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: miggo1999

Post by amiggo1999 »

Prize pool 500$?
Image Image
No Flag [TLDT]Amsterda
Dragoon

Post by [TLDT]Amsterda »

amiggo1999 wrote:Prize pool 500$?

That's what I'm thinking atm, yes.
Retired Contributor

Green UP
Lancer

Post by HeadKilla »

[TLDT]Amsterda wrote:
HeadKilla wrote:I would do this if there was an appropriate division for me to be in. Of all the NR, I like 20 the best.
Perhaps there could be a second chance tournament, would that be something of interest?

I mean to be honest, I would need several chances beyond the first before I was playing people my level. But yes, I would participate in any event that allowed me and so would several of my friends.
No Flag [TLDT]Amsterda
Dragoon

Post by [TLDT]Amsterda »

princeofcarthage wrote:
[TLDT]Amsterda wrote:

Theoretically (and practically) speaking most games get decided by your boom, start army, and decisions in time frame of 20-25 mins, anything exceeding that is mostly nr40 mechanics, so while China and france unless punished become practically unbeatable after 25th min, there is a good chance that depending on map somewhat relative balance could be achieved for the first few mins. To example: would be India vs port on a low hunt map is quite fair for first few mins. ( which is most likely game deciding )
Can definitely agree with that but when it comes to low hunt maps I'm reluctant to include them as I'd like a mapset which includes some of the most played maps or maps that are similar to them. I have a hard time seeing someone be particularly happy or sad regarding a win/loss on unknown for example or on some other low hunt/low resource map since it doesn't really require a skillset that I and I think most others value as much but I could be wrong on this so I don't exclude the possibility of adding some low hunt/low resource maps.
princeofcarthage wrote:Green UP

lol sorry are you still available? edit: nvm see you ingame
HeadKilla wrote:I mean to be honest, I would need several chances beyond the first before I was playing people my level. But yes, I would participate in any event that allowed me and so would several of my friends.

I don't plan on having any pr restrictions to enter so you'll definitely be allowed to participate.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Who's funding this $500 prize pool? As that seems like a huge amount, EPL is $500 you have to remember.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Germany amiggo1999
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: miggo1999

Post by amiggo1999 »

Riotcoke wrote:Who's funding this $500 prize pool?

That's what I'm wondering too
Image Image
No Flag [TLDT]Amsterda
Dragoon

Post by [TLDT]Amsterda »

amiggo1999 wrote:
Riotcoke wrote:Who's funding this $500 prize pool?

That's what I'm wondering too
Riotcoke wrote:Who's funding this $500 prize pool? As that seems like a huge amount, EPL is $500 you have to remember.
I'm assuming the price pool will be funded exclusively by me unless there's someone who wants to donate to add onto the price pool but I haven't really thought about payment options if that were to be the case and I'm assuming there'll be no donations.
Lancer

Post by HeadKilla »

I know it has been shot down several times, but in my professional history, "pay to play" has always been a nice thing to offer in addition to the regular free events. Charge an entry fee, use that for increased prize support.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

HeadKilla wrote:I know it has been shot down several times, but in my professional history, "pay to play" has always been a nice thing to offer in addition to the regular free events. Charge an entry fee, use that for increased prize support.

If ESOC had pay to play tournaments you'd get about 8 people playing in each tournament.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

The only time pay to play would ever work would be if you had enough people to have a R128, and then allocate prize pools like you would for an online poker tourney aka 15-20 people getting payouts. Because most people would be just consider it a donation otherwise as they know they would never have a chance of getting their money back.
ā€œTo love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.ā€
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

wardyb1 wrote:The only time pay to play would ever work would be if you had enough people to have a R128, and then allocate prize pools like you would for an online poker tourney aka 15-20 people getting payouts. Because most people would be just consider it a donation otherwise as they know they would never have a chance of getting their money back.

In a poker tourney you can get to the top 20 some of the time due to the element of Luck that poker obviously has, however in RTS games it's kinda absolute, i'm not going to beat Rapha in a Bo5 for example.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
No Flag [TLDT]Amsterda
Dragoon

Post by [TLDT]Amsterda »

In case anyone is just skimming through the thread.
The tournament is not pay to play, the prize pool will be exclusively funded by me unless people want to donate.
Retired Contributor

Riotcoke wrote:
wardyb1 wrote:The only time pay to play would ever work would be if you had enough people to have a R128, and then allocate prize pools like you would for an online poker tourney aka 15-20 people getting payouts. Because most people would be just consider it a donation otherwise as they know they would never have a chance of getting their money back.

In a poker tourney you can get to the top 20 some of the time due to the element of Luck that poker obviously has, however in RTS games it's kinda absolute, i'm not going to beat Rapha in a Bo5 for example.

Thats a very negative outlook.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

princeofcarthage wrote:
Riotcoke wrote:

Well it's not, when do you ever see a pr25 in the ro16?

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
No Flag [TLDT]Amsterda
Dragoon

Post by [TLDT]Amsterda »

Riotcoke wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Well it's not, when do you ever see a pr25 in the ro16?

But you're pr 25.6 so just round up to 26, see now it's so easy now you can win any tournament you want!
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Re: 500$ Nr 20 1v1 tournament updated

Post by Lukas_L99 »

Iā€˜d probably play for $500
No Flag [TLDT]Amsterda
Dragoon

Post by [TLDT]Amsterda »

Lukas_L99 wrote:Iā€˜d probably play for $500

Good to hear, if you're confident try to convince more good players to join and the prize pool might get bigger since everything's not set in stone yet.
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

Iā€™d play obviously, Iā€™d imagine 500 dollar nr20 would get at least 32 signups maybe more
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds: