ESOC elo ladder suggestion

Do you think that

Nothing should be changed
50%
Only QS games should be rated on the elo ladder
14%
Only QS games should be rated on the elo ladder and we should have a rotating map pool with 8 maps
36%

Total votes: 28

Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Re: ESOC elo ladder suggestion

Post by Garja »

I'm ok with refining the play on the same map but on qs it gets a bit boring honestly.
Image Image Image
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Garja wrote:I'm ok with refining the play on the same map but on qs it gets a bit boring honestly.

That's 8 maps still, which is a lot, and it only lasts like 2 months, which is fine.
If you play 80 rated games/month (which is really a lot, I'm not sure anyone does that nowadays), it means you should play 8 times the same map every month, ie 2 times a week, that's totally fine.
Atm with 30 maps someone who plays 30 games/month ends up playing each map like one or two times, which is not enough...
I don't play the game very often and there are some maps I've almost never played.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

8 maps is not a lot. It would be ok for a short period of time, but I also don't like to rotate maps that much.
Assuming I'm going to play mostly 1 civ only I want to have as many maps as possible to play so I can mix my play and not rely on 2-3 strats only.

For the record, I realized I'm playing something like 50 games per week. 80 games per month is not much if the game was any active.
Image Image Image
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Djigit wrote:
umeu wrote:would be great, if there were enough players, which there aren't. Last year you could barely even get a game on RE QS, you would just sit in QS and go afk and then come back 20 minutes later to find ur tc destroyed. EP would be worse. You would go AFK for 1 hour, come back and find urself still in QS.

Also, if u do it, there shouldn't be no cherry picking of maps either. Not just only land maps or tp maps and that type of stuff. A good mix representing all maps would be the best. I like the idea of keeping the map pool relatively small but rotating the maps out every now and then.
I think the lack of player on RE QS is related to the cheating episode. As Garja pointed out, it might work as an incentive and increase the size of the player base. Some people are much more comfortable at playing via QS rather than through lobby.

a little, but it was already decreasing before that. most players didnt qs to begin with, so a decreasing player base is extra detrimental for qs.
France flontier
Lancer
Intermediate Division Winner
ESO: Flontier
Clan: PLOP

Post by flontier »

musketeer925 wrote:
flontier wrote:quicksearch would be very slowsearch on ep (already the case on re). A nice concept to imitate qs would be -when a game is host on ep- to have an option to hide player name and civ in the room (also player rank cause you can guess who is who) and in the game browser but i don't know if it's possible to implement.

This is an interesting idea.

Unfortunately I don't think it's possible. You could maybe anonymize a user, but doing so would likely require anonymizing them for the duration of the game, making the resulting rank calculation and ladder results also anonymized (i.e., broken). Futher, Microsoft/ESO probably wouldn't like it.

You could anonymize users client-side, but someone could just log into non-EP to see the listed game, or capture their network traffic (or build/use a tool that does so) to see the real user.

ah yea, everyone can check ip... what a bad conception.

I guess its also not possible to do like for ep game : show infos about game host on discord
but this time for qs game : indicate if a player is waiting on qs ?
@musketeer925
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

flontier wrote:
musketeer925 wrote:
flontier wrote:quicksearch would be very slowsearch on ep (already the case on re). A nice concept to imitate qs would be -when a game is host on ep- to have an option to hide player name and civ in the room (also player rank cause you can guess who is who) and in the game browser but i don't know if it's possible to implement.

This is an interesting idea.

Unfortunately I don't think it's possible. You could maybe anonymize a user, but doing so would likely require anonymizing them for the duration of the game, making the resulting rank calculation and ladder results also anonymized (i.e., broken). Futher, Microsoft/ESO probably wouldn't like it.

You could anonymize users client-side, but someone could just log into non-EP to see the listed game, or capture their network traffic (or build/use a tool that does so) to see the real user.

ah yea, everyone can check ip... what a bad conception.

I guess its also not possible to do like for ep game : show infos about game host on discord
but this time for qs game : indicate if a player is waiting on qs ?
@musketeer925

Hmm, we might be able to capture events when someone enters quicksearch queue on EP and send it to our server. We could probably also capture how long it takes people to get games in quicksearch and report e.g., "in the last hour quicksearch took 10 minutes to match players".

We could report with that a rough idea of rank but randomized a bit

Good ideas?
France flontier
Lancer
Intermediate Division Winner
ESO: Flontier
Clan: PLOP

Post by flontier »

If you can do this it would be great yea ! A good step for the diarouga idea i think and the use of qs on ep.
Sweden tabben
Lancer
EWTNWC LAN Bronze
ESO: tabben

Post by tabben »

I like this idea alot. Lobby games being rated is just retarded since it encourages players to cherry pick their opponents, maps & matchups. Meta would possibly be less stale if people were forced to play outside their comfort zone a bit, and we'd likely see more matchups being played.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

This is my dream, but I agree, maybe the player base isn't there for it.
mad cuz bad
Sweden tabben
Lancer
EWTNWC LAN Bronze
ESO: tabben

Post by tabben »

Player pool is surely insufficient as long as rated lobby games are possible, because playing the game this way is simply more comfortable. If we can somehow make all lobby games unrated I don't see why it wouldn't work. Finding games on RE Quicksearch still isn't unreasonable, and if all 1v1 RE lobbies were unrated we'd likely see more people on QS.
(Not suggesting any RE changes here, just trying to make the point that only unrated lobby games --> sufficient number of quicksearchers)
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Honestly before the moesbar issue, it was easier to find a QS game than a hosted game.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

The number one reason I hardly ever (read never) play AOE3 is because I can't get a QS game on EP. So I play Sc2 even though I would rather play AOE.
mad cuz bad
United States of America Hidddy_
Retired Contributor
ESO: Hidalgito

Post by Hidddy_ »

I just sit in my esoc maps lobby with my germans ready to go, i don't like to cherry pick mus and maps because thats boring and lame, except when a lamer comes into my lobby and switches to india as a result. That said, its still hard to find rated games on ep because of all the cherry-picking and small player base.
De Funk
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Ep qs lel
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

no one's playing RE quick search now. it's just a dead game.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

j_t_kirk wrote:Games hosted via quicksearch are always rated.

Please correct me if I'm wrong; but I believe games hosted in QS are immediately rated, while games hosted in the lobby only become rated after 2 minutes?
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Hold on; what about team games? I guess they could be hosted in the lobby, and then everybody agrees to QS lol. And in that case they cannot balance teams. I hope it would work.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

ovi12 wrote:Hold on; what about team games? I guess they could be hosted in the lobby, and then everybody agrees to QS lol. And in that case they cannot balance teams. I hope it would work.

Good point, afaik team QS doesn't work.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
ovi12 wrote:Hold on; what about team games? I guess they could be hosted in the lobby, and then everybody agrees to QS lol. And in that case they cannot balance teams. I hope it would work.

What really? Just on EP or on RE as well? Is the reason known?
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

ovi12 wrote:
EAGLEMUT wrote:

What really? Just on EP or on RE as well? Is the reason known?

Could be just another dead ESO feature like ladders or error messages. I haven't tried it myself, but have a clear memory of someone claiming to attempt queue 2v2 QS with 4 players and never getting a match. If true, it would be same for RE/EP.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player

Post by Hazza54321 »

i got a team qs game on Re
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor
ESO: QueenOfdestiny

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

Hazza54321 wrote:i got a team qs game on Re

:hmm:
shit juice :hmm:
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player

Post by Hazza54321 »

Obviously it was setup though
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

When the game pop was at it's max, were there people randomly doing 2v2'3 and 3v3's on QS?
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

ovi12 wrote:When the game pop was at it's max, were there people randomly doing 2v2'3 and 3v3's on QS?

Not after 2010.