Poll: Allow controlling the Agra Fort through multi-purpose hotkeys?

Allow controlling the Agra Fort through multi-purpose hotkeys?

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 22

Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Poll: Allow controlling the Agra Fort through multi-purpose hotkeys?

Post by EAGLEMUT »

The reason we've so far refrained from implementing any new hotkeys into the game is that we currently share all profile settings with RE and unfortunately saving any kind of new hotkey through the regular editor would cause RE to not recognize it and instantly crash on start-up. I may have a viable workaround, though. What we could do is extend the functionality of certain existing hotkeys on EP to effectively make them act as Agra Fort hotkeys in addition to their current behavior. The behavior of these hotkeys would not change on RE or other versions of the game.

Proposed implementation:
  • "Find Fort or FirePit" hotkey renamed to "Find Fort or FirePit or Agra Fort", now also finds Agra Forts.
  • "Ranged Attack Bonus" wonder hotkey renamed to "Ranged Attack Bonus or Train Rajput", now also trains Rajput from Agra Fort.
  • "Hand Attack Bonus" wonder hotkey renamed to "Hand Attack Bonus or Train Multiple Rajput", now also trains five Rajput from Agra Fort.
  • "Hitpoint Bonus" wonder hotkey renamed to "Hitpoint Bonus or Train Sepoy", now also trains Sepoy from Agra Fort.
  • "Speed Bonus" wonder hotkey renamed to "Speed Bonus or Train Multiple Sepoy", now also trains five Sepoy from Agra Fort.
  • "Porcelain Tower Rainbow" wonder hotkey renamed to "Porcelain Tower Rainbow or Train Gurkha", now also trains Gurkha from Agra Fort.
  • "Porcelain Tower Food" wonder hotkey renamed to "Porcelain Tower Food or Train Multiple Gurkha", now also trains five Gurkha from Agra Fort.

Known side-effects:
  • Having Agra Fort hotkeys defined both manually (user.con) and with the new multi-purpose hotkeys can cause them to be executed twice.

Thoughts?
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Re: Poll: Allow controlling the Agra Fort through multi-purpose hotkeys?

Post by lemmings121 »

imo its a bit weird having a shared hotkey to porcelain tower and agra fort, and I would keep using the old txt file to configure agra hotkeys.

Isnt there a way to just make a ep instalation to create/edit that txt file, so that everyone on installing ep automatically gets that fix? seems like a cleaner aproach.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

lemmings121 wrote:imo its a bit weird having a shared hotkey to porcelain tower and agra fort, and I would keep using the old txt file to configure agra hotkeys.

Isnt there a way to just make a ep instalation to create/edit that txt file, so that everyone on installing ep automatically gets that fix? seems like a cleaner aproach.

Problem with that approach is, how does EP know what keys you want to use? There would have to be an entire new graphical interface in the EP Launcher or something to define these hotkeys, which seems even more messy both for the end-user and for development.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Even if we derive the keys from barracks, a player could change them later and get into a confusing situation when they no longer match. Afaik the con file is loaded only once on start-up so it wouldn't be possible to immediately fix during runtime even if we were to "watch" the profile file for any changes and try to act upon them.
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

Something that annoys me about agra is that i cant select my grouped units if agra is selected
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

Please don't change any setting which needs different key configurations in both the patches. People can fix Agra hotkey problem by themselves.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Yeah EP doesn't need to make today's youth any lazier than it already is.
Pay more attention to detail.
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

Sargsyan wrote:Something that annoys me about agra is that i cant select my grouped units if agra is selected

Yeah I've noticed this too it's super annoying. And I think it works on a few other buildings too.
United States of America Hidddy_
Retired Contributor
ESO: Hidalgito

Post by Hidddy_ »

I make a fresh control group with a rax then add the agra onto the control group. This allows rax hotkeys to function for both the buildings in the group, hoping this type of implementation won't mess up that dynamic
De Funk
France Kynesie
ESOC Pro Team
ESO: kynesie

Post by Kynesie »

EAGLEMUT wrote:The reason we've so far refrained from implementing any new hotkeys into the game is that we currently share all profile settings with RE and unfortunately saving any kind of new hotkey through the regular editor would cause RE to not recognize it and instantly crash on start-up. I may have a viable workaround, though. What we could do is extend the functionality of certain existing hotkeys on EP to effectively make them act as Agra Fort hotkeys in addition to their current behavior. The behavior of these hotkeys would not change on RE or other versions of the game.

You must know better than me what you are talking about, but i don t understand your problem. IF you add a hotkey in DefaultKeyMapY, it will work for both RE EP without issue.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Kynesie wrote:
EAGLEMUT wrote:The reason we've so far refrained from implementing any new hotkeys into the game is that we currently share all profile settings with RE and unfortunately saving any kind of new hotkey through the regular editor would cause RE to not recognize it and instantly crash on start-up. I may have a viable workaround, though. What we could do is extend the functionality of certain existing hotkeys on EP to effectively make them act as Agra Fort hotkeys in addition to their current behavior. The behavior of these hotkeys would not change on RE or other versions of the game.

You must know better than me what you are talking about, but i don t understand your problem. IF you add a hotkey in DefaultKeyMapY, it will work for both RE EP without issue.

Yes, it is possible to add a static hotkey, but it won't be possible to change from the in-game hotkey settings window without breaking RE. Once you'd save a different key for it, RE would no longer load the user profile.
France Kynesie
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kynesie »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
Kynesie wrote:

Yes, it is possible to add a static hotkey, but it won't be possible to change from the in-game hotkey settings window without breaking RE. Once you'd save a different key for it, RE would no longer load the user profile.

i use to have modified DefaultKeyMapY, i can see hotkey in hotkey window ingame and if i modify one, modification are done for both games. I can't test atm but I'm pretty sure it works
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Kynesie wrote:
EAGLEMUT wrote:
Show hidden quotes

i use to have modified DefaultKeyMapY, i can see hotkey in hotkey window ingame and if i modify one, modification are done for both games. I can't test atm but I'm pretty sure it works

Sorry I wasn't very clear, it does work as long as you have the same edited DefaultKeyMapY for both EP/RE in your data folder. However, to achieve that state, we would have to overwrite the player's existing DefaultKeyMapY in the data folder if they have it. We generally try to not make any potentially breaking changes to RE, and I can see how this could cause issues. For example, if the user would reinstall game without EP, it would crash. Likewise the game would crash if the DefaultKeyMapY gets removed for some reason - for example by anti-cheat because of other suspicious things going on in the file.

The aim of this proposal is not touching the file in your data folder whatsoever, but only changing it inside EP's DataPF.bar so that it doesn't affect RE and can still be overridden by custom DefaultKeyMapY in the data folder, for now. Ideally I'd want to split off into DefaultKeyMapF and make it not possible to override on EP, but am currently unable to do that. What I didn't consider in this proposal is players with a custom DefaultKeyMapY won't receive the updated multi-purpose hotkey functionality, since they are overriding the hotkey file with their own. I guess that isn't a blocker but makes it slightly less useful.
France Guigs
Tournament Admin
ESO: Guigs

Post by Guigs »

@EAGLEMUT Btw I think i never found the "Train a Gurkha" Hotkey on AOE, could you confirm it doesn't exist ?

Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Re:

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Lecastete wrote:@EAGLEMUT Btw I think i never found the "Train a Gurkha" Hotkey on AOE, could you confirm it doesn't exist ?

I can confirm it does exist on both RE/EP, it is however mislabeled as "Urumi Swordsmen". Planning to fix that on next EP at least.
France Kynesie
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kynesie »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
Kynesie wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Sorry I wasn't very clear, it does work as long as you have the same edited DefaultKeyMapY for both EP/RE in your data folder. However, to achieve that state, we would have to overwrite the player's existing DefaultKeyMapY in the data folder if they have it. We generally try to not make any potentially breaking changes to RE, and I can see how this could cause issues. For example, if the user would reinstall game without EP, it would crash. Likewise the game would crash if the DefaultKeyMapY gets removed for some reason - for example by anti-cheat because of other suspicious things going on in the file.

The aim of this proposal is not touching the file in your data folder whatsoever, but only changing it inside EP's DataPF.bar so that it doesn't affect RE and can still be overridden by custom DefaultKeyMapY in the data folder, for now. Ideally I'd want to split off into DefaultKeyMapF and make it not possible to override on EP, but am currently unable to do that. What I didn't consider in this proposal is players with a custom DefaultKeyMapY won't receive the updated multi-purpose hotkey functionality, since they are overriding the hotkey file with their own. I guess that isn't a blocker but makes it slightly less useful.

Ok i understand now. Ofc you have to keep cohérence between the hotkey file and the profile file, in case of re install, if there is a hotkey in the profile file and not in the defaultkeymap,it will crash. Split the defaulteymap file involves at least to split the profile file.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Buff india
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

I think the hotkey mapping shouldn't done by an EP exclusive in game page. If we want to provide new hotkeys we should just share a text file.
Image Image Image
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Gendarme wrote:Yeah EP doesn't need to make today's youth any lazier than it already is.
Pay more attention to detail.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

rsy wrote:
Sargsyan wrote:Something that annoys me about agra is that i cant select my grouped units if agra is selected

Yeah I've noticed this too it's super annoying. And I think it works on a few other buildings too.

Not sure I understand, you cannot select unit control groups with a hotkey? It seems to work fine for me.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
Kynesie wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Wouldnt that mean ppl's hotkeys would change to whatever ep decides it is? If thats true, its a terrible idea lol. Not everyone has the same hotkeys, so eberyone would have to fix their keys once you do that. Id personally be too lazy
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

No, the split of default file would mean no more custom hidden hotkeys in the file. User profile would remain shared and players would retain regular hotkey settings.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
rsy wrote:

Not sure I understand, you cannot select unit control groups with a hotkey? It seems to work fine for me.

You cant do it if you selected agra (for example to train units) and every other wonder. You need to click on somewhere on the map to deselect so u can select your select group via hotkey
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco