Definitive Obscure Content Buff Suggestions Thread

Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Definitive Obscure Content Buff Suggestions Thread

Post by Imperial Noob »

Hey! I want to create a source thread for future discussions of completely useless aoe 3 content that in views of some should not be wasted and maybe considered changing in the future.
This is not about merely "underused" content, but about honestly useless...ly neglected content
If a suggestion is minor/looks natural or has nothing going against it, I will color it green. If it is hard to foresee, I will end it with a question mark. If it would require a major rework of something, I will list it just for posterity's sake and mark it red. Shipment :ship: means a card, Pop :pop: means a unit, Idea :idea: means an upgrade or other in-building tech.
I will go by civ, adding them 1 by 1 as I will have the time and editing as I will gather some suggestions:

A quick remark, that they are not meant to be viable in every situation, or all equally viable. Just reasonably useful.

Do you think having such thread makes sense?

Dutch
:ship: 7 sheep
:ship: 15 sheep

:ship: Stadhouder => -75% TC cost
:ship: 2 Settlers => 3 settlers
:ship: TEAM 3 Envoy
:ship: TEAM 2 Surgeons
:ship: 4 Surgeons
:ship: Master Surgeons

:ship: Covered Wagon
:ship: 10 Pikemen
:ship: 4 Grenadiers => 6 grenadiers
:ship: 7 grenadiers => 10 grenadiers
:ship: 1 Falconet => 2 falconets
:ship: 2 culverins => 2 culverins, Age III
:ship: Advanced Artillery => all artillery is guard
:ship: Native Lore
:ship: Native Treaties => from each village instead of each unique tribe
:ship: Advanced Mill => -75% cost, xp bounty for building/destruction decreased by 75%
:ship: Establish Ironmonger
:ship: Silversmith
:ship: Dutch East India Company => -50% cost, +100% HP :?:
:ship: Colbertism => 2 :food: /sec
:ship: Medicine => -25% villager training time :?:
:ship: 1 caravel => 2 caravels
:ship: Mercenary Loyalty => -30% merc shipment costs, -15% merc training costs :?:
:ship: Hire Landsknecht Mercenaries
:ship: Hire Swedish Fusiliers
:ship: Hire Holy Roman Army
:ship: Hire Highland Mercenary Army
:ship: Hire 3 L'il Bombards => for 20001000 :coin:
Spain
France
Brits
Germany
Russia
Otto
Ports
Iro
Aztec
Sioux
China
Japan
India
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Re: Definitive Obscure Content Buff Suggestions Thread

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Stadhouders are pretty good :hmm:
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

EAGLEMUT wrote:Stadhouders are pretty good :hmm:

I think he means the dutch explorer buff card?
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

dansil92 wrote:
EAGLEMUT wrote:Stadhouders are pretty good :hmm:

I think he means the dutch explorer buff card?

Ups. Sorry, I assumed everyone remembers at this point what do the cards do. :ugeek:
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Please excuse Mutmut. Poor thing's perpetually overworked.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Stadhouder card is OP on yukon!
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

You could cooperate with @Interjection and help him improve his “shipment or shitment” series :?

If anything, it'd be better to list all standard European cards before delving into particular nations' shipments.

The Dutch actually have the 2 caravels shipment. 1 of such vessels is meant for people who can't afford to unlock the better card, which is a usual route for most units in the game.

I'm totally for giving a helping hand to the poor, but seeing how much fuss a 10-wood discount for crossbowmen and pikemen creates within the community, I very much doubt it would actually be implemented any time soon in any patch. Not to mention countless balance disputes over highly-theoretical implications.
Sweden p0cA
Crossbow
ESO: Pocahotass

Post by p0cA »

Yeah dutch explorer card was 199w tc on twc iirc.
It got nerfed but its still useful on yukon
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

momuuu wrote:Stadhouder card is OP on yukon!

Why on Yucon? Edit: treasures and potential for a second eco base, right?

pecelot wrote:You could cooperate with @Interjection and help him improve his “shipment or shitment” series :?
If anything, it'd be better to list all standard European cards before delving into particular nations' shipments.
The Dutch actually have the 2 caravels shipment. 1 of such vessels is meant for people who can't afford to unlock the better card, which is a usual route for most units in the game.
I'm totally for giving a helping hand to the poor, but seeing how much fuss a 10-wood discount for crossbowmen and pikemen creates within the community, I very much doubt it would actually be implemented any time soon in any patch. Not to mention countless balance disputes over highly-theoretical implications.

I thought it will be elegant to just list them with the first nation that features them and then obviously all others would have the same.
If I gather enough and Interjection will be doing something similar, that might be a good idea for a podcast or sth.
I do not care about the poor. I care about wasted shipments!
Discount or a stat change are a different animal. My suggestions are on a deck-building level mostly. I just mentioned units and upgrades because it would be informative to look at them from a different perspective.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

In regards to the original posting- i think buffing the grenadier shipments would be a nice touch for ep. I mean they arent really ever worth building a foundry to train for anyone but otto (they have abus tho so grens are still extremely situational) but sometimes you just need some shipable seige. 4 grens is a wasted shipment IMO but if it was 6 (or even 5 and auto upgrades them to veteran?) It might be worth it in certain matchups.
I also like the idea of a 2 culv shipment for the euro civs without 2 falconets. Would give dutch & germany a reasonable option to counter japan flaming arrows or standard 2 falc semi ff.
Can we all agree the age 4 merc shipments are terrible? Like not even worth the space on the screen? (Except possibly that infinite fusiliers/infinite jaegers card in treaty) mercs are not really super useful in age 4 since they no longer are much better than normal guard units (i would say mams, jaegers, elmeti, stradiots [for some civs] are maybe the exception). Add that to the fact that all the shipments include some useless unit like hackapells or corsairs that you barely would even want if they were free... like if i could ship idk like 6 jaegers 4 black riders and 3 stradiots in age 4 for 2000 coin as dutch then yeah absolutely! As it stands dutch can send lil bombards as its best age 4 merc shipment and its... yeah its pretty bad (tho i do keep it in a few of my decks just because sometimes blasting infantry across half the map is just a really good way way to win). But why would i want hackapells age 4... guard skirms honestly will pick them off quicker than the hackapells can even get close...
Otto's explorer card needs a buff it is genuinely pretty useless. Yay more speed for a single unit...
Japan could use a 3 vill card imo but a lot of people think japan is too overpowered so i know that will get shut down lol maybe a small buff to that cherry blossom card would be viable. Its a decent shipment tbh
Also advanced wonders and good faith agreements for asian civs could use a buff to make them interesting since all 3 dont have a real 3 vill shipment

Your suggestion to buff the east india card for dutch would only be really viable if it was an age 1 card. If you have to wait till colonial to ship it, it will be much too slow. If was age 1 it would be like Virginia company and could be very interesting (tho 50% would be too much, maybe 30%) and give a bit more flexibility to a very stubborn civ. Dutch is already really good so it might be overpowered...
Livestock cards are just so frustrating because they arrive not fattened making it kind of a wasted shipment no matter how you try to look at it. I tried putting the 7 sheep card in my dutch decks to make up for that RE map food shortage you get around 11 minutes (3 minutes on great plains sometimes lol) and it did NOTHING. Spice trade on berry maps was better. Advanced mill even better. EP maps the best fix (lol). Even if it was 30 sheep age 1 i dont think i would ship it lol

Native civs could all do with a bit better age 4 unit shipments imo. Aztec could use a better arrow knight shipment, iro could do with a decent forest prowler shipment, sioux (oh sioux...) could use a better rifle rider shipment... not that age 4 is really ever gonna happen but it is a balance issue imo

Thats just my 2 cents
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

dansil92 wrote:I also like the idea of a 2 culv shipment for the euro civs without 2 falconets. Would give dutch & germany a reasonable option to counter japan flaming arrows or standard 2 falc semi ff.
Can we all agree the age 4 merc shipments are terrible? Like not even worth the space on the screen? (Except possibly that infinite fusiliers/infinite jaegers card in treaty) mercs are not really super useful in age 4 since they no longer are much better than normal guard units (i would say mams, jaegers, elmeti, stradiots [for some civs] are maybe the exception). Add that to the fact that all the shipments include some useless unit like hackapells or corsairs that you barely would even want if they were free... like if i could ship idk like 6 jaegers 4 black riders and 3 stradiots in age 4 for 2000 coin as dutch then yeah absolutely! As it stands dutch can send lil bombards as its best age 4 merc shipment and its... yeah its pretty bad (tho i do keep it in a few of my decks just because sometimes blasting infantry across half the map is just a really good way way to win). But why would i want hackapells age 4... guard skirms honestly will pick them off quicker than the hackapells can even get close...
Your suggestion to buff the east india card for dutch would only be really viable if it was an age 1 card. If you have to wait till colonial to ship it, it will be much too slow. If was age 1 it would be like Virginia company and could be very interesting (tho 50% would be too much, maybe 30%) and give a bit more flexibility to a very stubborn civ.
Livestock cards are just so frustrating because they arrive not fattened making it kind of a wasted shipment no matter how you try to look at it.

Mercs in Age IV shipments could be calculated at a discount, since they no longer have an advantage of "upgraded" stats. Hackapells wouldn't be more useless than, say... guard uhlans with more attack.
Sheep could be shipped fattened. How about that?
I calculated Dutch East India Company as "how many banks are left to build?" I figured out, that at the time when it is worth shipping, maybe 2.
As for cannons... according to my ideas, every civ that has 1 falc, would have => 2 falcs. Civs that have both 1 falc and 2 falcs, would have potentially 2 cards with falcs, like Russians do with HCs. Japan would be less exceptional—merely saving a deck space with their 2x flaming arrows. 2 culvs shipment would be an interesting mind game in this situation.
These 4 grenadiers could alternatively be moved to the colonial age.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

memetis in age 4 @knusch
Australia VooDoo_BoSs
Dragoon
ESO: VooDoo_BoSs

Post by VooDoo_BoSs »

I've floated this idea before, but it would be good if the EP team would take a statistical-based approach to balancing cards / units.

For example, view the relative frequency of use of certain cards. If some cards are used every game (eg: 100%), then perhaps you could nerf them, and boost cards that are used <5%.

The will accomplish both a balancing act (overused units / cards is a sign of overpowered units / strategies), as well as improving diversity and variety in gameplay.
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

VooDoo_BoSs wrote:I've floated this idea before, but it would be good if the EP team would take a statistical-based approach to balancing cards / units.

For example, view the relative frequency of use of certain cards. If some cards are used every game (eg: 100%), then perhaps you could nerf them, and boost cards that are used <5%.

The will accomplish both a balancing act (overused units / cards is a sign of overpowered units / strategies), as well as improving diversity and variety in gameplay.

Nerfing popular cards is unwarranted and pointlessly overcomplicated, because something has to set the standard. What would the new standard be then? and why? :hmm: :lol: We generally know which cards aren't worth enough VS to ship and thus unused.
Blind statistical approach would not give us anything relevant. And how on Earth would you even gather the data?
Australia VooDoo_BoSs
Dragoon
ESO: VooDoo_BoSs

Post by VooDoo_BoSs »

Imperial Noob wrote:
VooDoo_BoSs wrote:I've floated this idea before, but it would be good if the EP team would take a statistical-based approach to balancing cards / units.

Nerfing popular cards is unwarranted and pointlessly overcomplicated, because something has to set the standard. What would the new standard be then? and why? :hmm: :lol: We generally know which cards aren't worth enough VS to ship and thus unused.
Blind statistical approach would not give us anything relevant. And how on Earth would you even gather the data?

Do we need a standard? There's so much potential variety in this game that goes unplayed due to overly dominant strategies. This game has been out for 14 years - I would gladly trade a bit of balance for a lot more variety.

At this point, every civilisation has 1-2 strategies with 1-2 card orders. There are close to 100 cards available to each civs yet more than half of them are NEVER used.

Data is possible - I know it's being done already for units (eg: total number of ashis made per game). Cards may be possible but I don't know how it works from a back-end.

#MakeUniqueChurchGreatAgain
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

Idk guys, one will never achieve a state in which everything a game hs to offer is usable or meta. And thats not even bad, after all, there also comes some fun with suddenly seeing an underused aspect of the game being used to great success (e.g. Aizamk using spies), because you just dont expect it. I personally also love trying to make underutilised shit work somehow, if nothing was underused, i wouldn't really have that possibility. Games need to have wanky shit.
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

scarm wrote:Idk guys, one will never achieve a state in which everything a game hs to offer is usable or meta. And thats not even bad, after all, there also comes some fun with suddenly seeing an underused aspect of the game being used to great success (e.g. Aizamk using spies), because you just dont expect it. I personally also love trying to make underutilised shit work somehow, if nothing was underused, i wouldn't really have that possibility. Games need to have wanky shit.

The game being suboptimally balanced does not justify the game being suboptimally balanced. And things being sweet when "they are not so bad after all" is nothing compared to things being consistently good.
And even Aizamk is strongly limited by what can he use successfully.
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

No Game and no meta and no balance can achieve something like everything being good, unless you restrict your content by a lot. There is alaways something that is more optimal than something else, and it even is intentional game design in most games.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

There is always something optimal, but that doesn't mean there isn't a situational use for many things. That is lacking right now, because many of the cards/techs that would have situational uses are so bad.
mad cuz bad
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Imperial Noob wrote:
momuuu wrote:Stadhouder card is OP on yukon!

Why on Yucon? Edit: treasures and potential for a second eco base, right?

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3366&p=70549#p70549

enligthen yourself
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

VooDoo_BoSs wrote:At this point, every civilisation has 1-2 strategies with 1-2 card orders. There are close to 100 cards available to each civs yet more than half of them are NEVER used.

there are a lot of cards used exclusively for grinding, like 4 dragoons, 1 falc, 15% wood gathering upgrade, as well as all the resource shipments (up to 1600 of each for some nations)
then you have the ones used in specific circumstances, like treaty
what you could do without a doubt is to bring underpowered unit shipments to a reasonable state — the awful grenadiers, 4 hussars in age 3 (but then again, consider balance) or 2 culverins in age 4