EP6 Post-tournament Balance Poll (Jul 2019)

New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

EP6 Post-tournament Balance Poll (Jul 2019)

Post by zoom »

Hai – I hope you are all well!

With the recent conclusion of the LAN event (congratulations to organizers, participants and viewers, alike), it's time for another poll! Your response is instrumental to decisions made on patch development:

https://tinyurl.com/yxomxvpj

I expect to launch an initial beta for EP7, sometime in August. Beyond development and feedback, I've been focusing on expanding community involvement, in addition to testing. This is more important than ever, given the relatively experimental nature of some upcoming changes. I will share more details, when they've become clear. To quote myself from the last poll:

"Moving forward, one major goal of EP7 will be increasing the number of viable options. As per usual, certain civilizations may be especially rebalanced, depending on feedback."

Thank you all for your feedback, patience and support!

Results Update: By the grace of Goodspeed – the second known entity in the universe to have mastered Google Sheets – I am able to once again present you with these gorgeous graphs.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Re: EP6 Post-tournament Balance Poll (Jul 2019)

Post by zoom »

I will try to provide better graphs, later in the week.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

Is it better if we use the whole spectrum of values to rank relative civ strength or if we use it as an absolute rating of civ strength?
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

@zoom you should disable the ability to submit multiple responses
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

That means you have to login therefore need a google account. But maybe that's ok, maybe everyone has a google account these days
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Just voted twice, fuck the system
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Cometk wrote:@zoom you should disable the ability to submit multiple responses
It seems we never have, in the past. I think I'd rather just ask for ESOC username, and delete illegitimate responses.

For the record, if anyone makes multiple entries, in the same name, I will continue to save the newest one, unless I've reason to do otherwise.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

zoom wrote:
Cometk wrote:@zoom you should disable the ability to submit multiple responses
It seems we never have, in the past. I think I'd rather just ask for ESOC username, and delete illegitimate responses.

For the record, if anyone makes multiple entries, in the same name, I will continue to save the newest one, unless I've reason to do otherwise.
Let's just take your advice.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

I took Hudson Bay (ignoring the sea) to rate the civs :

Tier 1 (Germany) :
Germany 9

Would be 8 without the TP start, but 200w start is a thing.

Thus, I'd nerf the jaeger shipment to 12jaegers (because 8/10 civs need a small nerf), and we need to do something about the 200w start.

Tier 2 (top civs) :
Brit 8
Iroquois 8
India 8
Sioux 8
Otto 8

It was hard to rate these civs because brit and iro are very consistent. They seem to be good in every situation, regardless of age 1 while India, Otto and Sioux are great sometimes (depending on the MU, the age 1, the crate start), and not that good sometimes.

Brit being one of the hardest civs to play (ie it should be rewarding), and being a "low tier 2" civ, probably doesn't need a nerf.
I'm not sure how we should nerf iro. I'd nerf the WC aura to 8% instead of 10% but it's probably not necessary because people don't understand how good Iro is.
India : Need to nerf or redesign cease fire.
Sioux : Nerf the big button to 1 DS every 4 min
Otto : remove the +2 abus range in age 3 and put it in age 4. 5 abus in fortress becomes 6 abus.

Tier 3 (average civs) :
China 7
Russia 7
Dutch 6
France 6
Japan 6
Port 6
Spain 5

These civs don't really need a change, but I'd still remove the musk buff for Russia because the civ is too good on no TP or low hunt maps.
I'd also buff Spain a bit (their shipments should come faster).

Trash tier (unplayable civ) :
Aztecs 4

This civ needs to be buffed. I'd go for +5hp coyotes (or -10food), arrow knights only cost 1 pop and pumas are no longer considered as a siege unit
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

The way I understood the scale is that the weakest civ is always 1 and the strongest 10?
The scale should be explained better.

Or atleast that would make more sense.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

somppukunkku wrote:The way I understood the scale is that the weakest civ is always 1 and the strongest 10?
The scale should be explained better.

Or atleast that would make more sense.

It's a mess every time. Some people rate from 1 to 10 and some rate from 4 to 8 xD.
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

Damn i'm glad dia won the tourney, now people has to actually give a fuck. Slowly but surely more and more people will join the Armag army.From his ban to his triumph, next step is fixing crates and removing non-tp bullshit from the game.#competitiveaoe #armag
Germany amiggo1999
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: miggo1999

Post by amiggo1999 »

Maybe for the sake of simplification the options should be more limited? Like just 1 (way too weak) 2 (a bit weak) 3 (ok) 4 (a bit strong) 5 (way too strong). Perhaps the results would be more consistent among voters.
Image Image
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

I think changing "Weakest" and "Strongest" to "Weak" and "Strong" may be enough.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

I think amiggo is right. "too weak", "too strong" etc makes more sense than random numbers.
Also where can we see the results?
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Rating Germany above Sioux lol
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:I think amiggo is right. "too weak", "too strong" etc makes more sense than random numbers.
Zoom said he would provide graphs later this week. I doubt we will be able to see the actual responses.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Mitoe wrote:Rating Germany above Sioux lol

Sioux has bad MUs.
For instance Sioux can't beat brit/Port, and they struggle against Spain, Dutch and Otto.

To be fair, even Iro/France/Germany is not easy to beat as Sioux (like if you wall your resources at 14-15min and pull the vills you can definitely hold the timing).
Germany on the other hand, doesn't have a single bad MU on wood start.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

edeholland wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:I think amiggo is right. "too weak", "too strong" etc makes more sense than random numbers.
Zoom said he would provide graphs later this week. I doubt we will be able to see the actual responses.

GS used to share the table with us :mad:
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

HUMMAN wrote:Damn i'm glad dia won the tourney, now people has to actually give a fuck. Slowly but surely more and more people will join the Armag army.From his ban to his triumph, next step is fixing crates and removing non-tp bullshit from the game.#competitiveaoe #armag

You think people didn’t care before? You can’t be serious.

@[Armag] diarouga Sioux can definitely beat Brit. Ports I’m less certain about but I’m pretty sure Sioux can still win that, at least off of water.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

I played Brit vs kaiser playing Sioux and I won very easily. After that, we agreed to say that this was hopeless for Sioux (maybe it was because kaiser was mad though).
I also lost this MU to mookie and I don't think I made many mistakes in that game.

Anyway, as I said previously, Sioux feels really strong sometimes, and nothing special in some other games. Thus, overall the civ is not as strong as Germany.
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

Mitoe wrote:
HUMMAN wrote:Damn i'm glad dia won the tourney, now people has to actually give a fuck. Slowly but surely more and more people will join the Armag army.From his ban to his triumph, next step is fixing crates and removing non-tp bullshit from the game.#competitiveaoe #armag

You think people didn’t care before? You can’t be serious.

@[Armag] diarouga Sioux can definitely beat Brit. Ports I’m less certain about but I’m pretty sure Sioux can still win that, at least off of water.

Well i am not that an old member, but i remember people were not even taking serious crate starts; partly rouga too. He was kinda like Jerom in that sense. And by the time people's idea's shifting since he is talking logical altough behaves somewhat childish maybe thats why he is not taken so serious. (like his fight with zoi, he was kinda right but couldnt act mature) Now with a poll pretty sure fixing crates would win. And most importantly there's high value in forum for PR instead of ideas and now i am happy because now your boss is diarouga. #Armag.
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:I played Brit vs kaiser playing Sioux and I won very easily. After that, we agreed to say that this was hopeless for Sioux (maybe it was because kaiser was mad though).
I also lost this MU to mookie and I don't think I made many mistakes in that game.

Anyway, as I said previously, Sioux feels really strong sometimes, and nothing special in some other games. Thus, overall the civ is not as strong as Germany.

I think there's a way to beat it, but I still need to figure it out.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

I think Sioux-Brits is just another MU were brits end up being screwed.
4 axe 5v 700g with 2tps and heavy raiding and brit can't really do their nice and dandy eco stuff. I mean, they can but they will be delayed and then Sioux pure axe wakina is a pain for Brits.
If brits go anything aggro sioux can stay colonial while riding and then pick a good fight and win. Cetans buff made sioux colonial combo actually pretty good. Honestly the eco difference only matter if game drags long with possibly walls and shit. In fact I think best brit can do is just standard+some walls and then try to age at some point. Not sure it's easy tho as they need hunts.
And in all of this Sioux can rush just like other native civs basically. Since you need quite some wood for that I think it's good to have 4 or more teepees and maybe skip the 2nd TP.
Image Image Image
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Yeah i dont see how brit win. What sort of strat were you doing