Siege Troopers

Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Siege Troopers

Post by dansil92 »

So after scanning through the protoy files, I have found all non-campaign/cheat siege troopers and I am honestly wondering how many of these actually belong on this list, or more importantly, what the esoc team thinks of the usefulness of this tag really is anymore.

This tag is only used for defensive structures and minutemen, forts for example do half damage to a unit marked as a siege trooper

This is the full list:

Grenadier
Mantlets
Oprichniks
Holcan Spearman
Fluyt
Galleon
Monitor
Rams
Huron Mantlets
Arrow Knight
Puma Spearman
Petard
Steppe Rider
Flame Thrower
Flail Elephant
Atakabune
Shinobi
Arsonist
Mongol Scout

So the question is, should, say... shinobi have this tag anymore? half damage from defense structures is nice, but double damage from minutemen brings the usefulness of the units greatly into question. Or more importantly... why are certain units not classed as siege troopers when they have vastly higher siege than grenadiers? Dopps, samurai, skull knights, etc?
There is ZERO consistency to this list. Like, even the chinese "galleon" ship (Fuchuan) is missing from the list- this tag gives galleons greater survivability vs outposts but China gets the shaft here. IDK what do you guys think?

EDIT: forgot, oprichniks do double damage to siege troopers eg themselves...
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Re: Siege Troopers

Post by Mitoe »

Ah yes, the exceptionally deadly siege attack of the Mongol Scout. Makes sense.

It seems like this tag was meant to be used as a descriptor when you hover over the unit type more so than anything else. Overall it’s a pretty useless tag aside from water balance and a few exceptions where minutemen could make the difference at killing a petard or puma, and making Colonial Chinese Cavalry more useless than it already is. Hell even Discovery Age China Cav was targeted with that Mongol Scout.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

The only units it seems relevant with are petards, rams and galleon ships. Mantlets to some extent, though i do find it pretty ridiculous that 5 mantlets can take down an agra fort by themselves

It really makes steppe even worse raiders than they already are, and yes the mongol scout made me actually laugh out loud when my "find" function got to that one
It also targets flame throwers too, meaning china colonial really was just screwed from the get-go...
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Mitoe wrote:Ah yes, the exceptionally deadly siege attack of the Mongol Scout. Makes sense.

It seems like this tag was meant to be used as a descriptor when you hover over the unit type more so than anything else. Overall it’s a pretty useless tag aside from water balance and a few exceptions where minutemen could make the difference at killing a petard or puma, and making Colonial Chinese Cavalry more useless than it already is. Hell even Discovery Age China Cav was targeted with that Mongol Scout.
Actually, I think the main purpose of the tag is to counteract units with unusually strong siege damage (such as the Puma Spearman and the Steppe Rider), as a balancing check. I don't know that it's very meaningful, though. Certainly, the most relevant implication is for the Puma Spearman.

There are some other effects (ensuring Forts don't negate Petards, for instance), but I couldn't tell you why the Mongol Scout has the tag. Possibly, it's been rebalanced, at some point in development.

P.S. In before Garja!