1. Motivation – while very important, in general – is irrelevant to whether something is standardizing, in particular.scarm wrote:zoom wrote:I cant understand how any of this is standardizing.
It is by definition standardizing since your aim, as you repeatedly said, is alleviating weaknesses (not eliminating them!) which by definition lessens the differences between civs, i.e. china has a very bad colonial now. By buffing their colonial units, that weakness will be less pronounced and China will have less deviation from other Civs Colonial, which in the end results in the Civs being closer together in terms of Colonial Strength. Same with buffing Coyote shipment for example. By buffing 5 Coyote you make Aztecs more like other Civs, in the regard that its weakness ("bad colonial cav shipment") is less pronounced and more in line with the standard 3 Hussar shipment.
2. The motivation is neither to buff the civilization, nor eliminate weaknesses of it. The motivation is only to remove the most severe cases of primary game content marginalization. Unless this has inherent balance issues (again, ones which cannot be solved by buffs or nerfs), it is indefensible and unacceptable to tolerate such a sad state of the game.
3. Although it is true that removing weaknesses might be considered standardizing, it's arguable whether these changes remove any weaknesses, other than that to heavy cavalry, in the late-game, to begin with. Also arguably, that were a standardization worth making. In a strategy game, not being able to counter something, on such a fundamental level, is problematic, to say the least. The point is that such weaknesses are bad for the game, both in terms of balance, content, and game-play – regardless of whether they're standardization. Ultimately, I'm more interested in practicalities than technicalities and absolutist principles, to the point of significant detriment.
4. Improving the variety of meaningful options, is the opposite of standardizing, and much more significant than the above. So there's that!
5. Entirely for the record, the "5 Coyote Runners" shipment was reverted in the recent update, to the beta. The reason for this, is that it might be going too far, combined with the other, related changes.