[EP] Change the Dutch flag

New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Re: [EP] Change the Dutch flag

Post by zoom »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Good research @Mitoe. Looks like the flag was slightly more prevalent than I thought. It's still an ugly and non-primary flag though so I stand by my original suggestion

@zoom I didn't know the HD flags were already in the game. Can we at least try to use an image from outside the game and see how it looks? It shouldn't be that hard to crop a flag to the correct resolution.
I like it. I think it's less about resolution, and more about artwork, though.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

lordraphael wrote:hisotrical accuracy in a video game... even a game like eu4 is in no way historical accurate. Why even bother talking about it. and the hussite war wagons were stationary defenses. i wonder why thats no one bothering ?
It's not about the historical inaccuracy but about the authentic feeling of the civ. Germans is a whole nother mess of its own, but my focus is on the Dutch.
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

Googol wrote:
Lukas_L99 wrote:
Googol wrote::flowers: Also one thing that boggles my mind, is why are hussite war wagons used in the early 15th century present in a 18th to early 19th century based game.
:hmm:

"After the Hussite wars, they stayed in usage as the special tactical weapon of Bohemian mercenaries which prevailed against knights or foot soldiers. Its successful history came to an end, at least for large scale engagements, with the development of field-piece artillery: a battle wagon wall "fortress" of approximately 300 wagons was broken at the Battle of Wenzenbach September 12, 1504 by the culverines (early cannons) and muskets of the landsknecht regiment of G. Frundsberg."---wikipedia

Henry the Navigator (1394-1460)

Isabella I (1451-1504), Suleiman (1494-1566), Cuauhtemoc (1496-1525), Hiawatha (1525-1595), Ivan the IV (1530-1584), Elisabeth I (1533-1603), Akbar (1562-1605), Tokugawa (1543-1616) Maurice de Nassau (1567-1625)

Kangxi (1654-1722),
Frederick the Great (1712-1786),
Napoleon (1769-1821),
Gatlings, Iron Horse -> 3rd quarter of the 19th century
Gall (1840-1894) -> Rifle Riders -> 4th quarter of the 19th century

Jat Lancers - World War I
United States of America iCourt
Retired Contributor
ESO: iCourt

Post by iCourt »

You can mod the flags yourself if you want to change it. Magnum LR has a whole bunch of mods that are HD Quality with several different historical flags.

Http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/l ... ing_value=

I use these myself. They will not cause CRC mismatch as it's just an art file. Changes consulate flags as well. Can even make the Brits Maple Leaf warriors... Or give the Ruskies a hammer and sickle.

For instance I use:

British: Union Jack
French: Tri-Color National
Dutch: Tri-Color National
Indian: British India Blue Ensign- My personal favorite. Looks great in game.
Germans: Prussian- No idea why this wasn't used by Ensemble?
Japan: National
Russian: 1858 National
Chinese: 1862 Qing Dynasty

Rest I left as is.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

iCourt wrote:You can mod the flags yourself if you want to change it. Magnum LR has a whole bunch of mods that are HD Quality with several different historical flags.

I use these myself. They will not cause CRC mismatch as it's just an art file. Changes consulate flags as well. Can even make the Brits Maple Leaf warriors... Or give the Ruskies a hammer and sickle.

For instance I use:

Rest I left as is.
Wow .. in all my years of aoe3 I was not aware of this. I've changed mine to the Prinsenvlag and it looks amazing.

@zoom The art is definitely up to par. I'm sure the developer of this flag mod is willing to share his work with EP, so this all seems theoretically possible. Please consider my suggestion!
Retired Contributor

Post by iCourt »

Also if you're interested in having the HD flags for TWC/TAD/Revolution civs on RE patch here is the link. This is the same flag mod we used in EP by Lord Tahattus.

http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/s ... 1vZCI7fX0=
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
iCourt wrote:You can mod the flags yourself if you want to change it. Magnum LR has a whole bunch of mods that are HD Quality with several different historical flags.

For instance I use:

Rest I left as is.
Wow .. in all my years of aoe3 I was not aware of this. I've changed mine to the Prinsenvlag and it looks amazing.

@zoom The art is definitely up to par. I'm sure the developer of this flag mod is willing to share his work with EP, so this all seems theoretically possible. Please consider my suggestion!
I'll consider it.
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

I am pretty against changing things like this in EP. It's kind of a slippery slope into "fixing" other inaccuracies.

The game is supposed to represent something like 300 years of history. I think in some part the developers did things like this to distance it from reality just a bit, and keep it interesting. It's not supposed to be a history book.
Retired Contributor

Post by iCourt »

I too would be against this unless it's an official patch that includes the change. For instance TAD beta had the Japanese National Flag in use until very late into development.

The mods are easily accessible for personal use. EP probably shouldn't mess with flags as they have over a decade of being recognized.

The HD mod I added to EP was only included as they brought the expansion civs flags up to par with the vanilla flags. I saw this as a minor bug/oversight. A change that improved game quality without seriously impacting the game.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

musketeer925 wrote:I am pretty against changing things like this in EP. It's kind of a slippery slope into "fixing" other inaccuracies.

The game is supposed to represent something like 300 years of history. I think in some part the developers did things like this to distance it from reality just a bit, and keep it interesting. It's not supposed to be a history book.
I think this is a good example of a change that has no adverse effects on people who disagree with it, though. To that end, it's the opposite of fixing crates, and I'd consider it. Regardless of opinion, it's not a big deal.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Lol. Yeah, changing art files by yourself is trivial. I had a Lambo image as a loading screen on vanilla for years.

And the background for LAN-hosted games was some Japanese castle. I actually redesigned the whole game interface (for LAN, pregame, HC view, deck-making mode, etc), made myself a custom one, that looked more modern. It really freshened up the game for me.