Potential EP Sioux Update

France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Re: Potential EP Sioux Update

Post by Kaiserklein »

You realize you're just nitpicking and so far literally everyone else disagrees with you, right? Nitpicking to a point where it's almost derailing the thread, and then you blame us for not producing a fruitful discussion? Lol

RE bow riders are "way too cost-efficient", happy with that?
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I would like to make the argument that it's fine for a unit to be slightly stronger than comparable units, if that serves a purpose of meaningfully defining a civ's playstyle in a way that is unique and interesting. But it's impossible to argue this when people keep throwing out "BuT iTs BrOkEn" which is impossible to discuss with because they don't provide a definition for broken and there is no universal definition for broken in this context. How can I then explain them it's not a counterargument to my point?
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

Reason why bow riders are overpowered:
-Strenghts:
High damage
High mobility
Medium Hp
The simultaneous combination of the 3 above in the same unit
The unit is rather affortable and easily accessible
High upgradability
Best raiding unit in the game
-Weaknesses:
They take 1.5 damage from ranged infantry, that they can easily run away from and that is easily countered by axe riders.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Kaiserklein wrote:You realize you're just nitpicking and so far literally everyone else disagrees with you, right? Nitpicking to a point where it's almost derailing the thread, and then you blame us for not producing a fruitful discussion? Lol

RE bow riders are "way too cost-efficient", happy with that?
But Sioux has a really bad eco, so even if a unit is too cost-effecient in theory, in practice that's not really relevant, is it?

Like imagine a hypothetical civ, that is exactly the same as other civs, except their stuff costs half as much but they also gather resources half as quickly. Are their units overpowered then? Technically they'd be way too cost efficient.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

RefluxSemantic wrote:I would like to make the argument that it's fine for a unit to be slightly stronger than comparable units, if that serves a purpose of meaningfully defining a civ's playstyle in a way that is unique and interesting. But it's impossible to argue this when people keep throwing out "BuT iTs BrOkEn" which is impossible to discuss with because they don't provide a definition for broken and there is no universal definition for broken in this context. How can I then explain them it's not a counterargument to my point?
diarouga already answered this.
diarouga wrote:It's just that the unit breaks the counter system and is much better than goons at everything.
I honestly don't care about semantics but a special unit is a unit which has its own balanced counter system. The brs counter system is simply not balanced.
"Broken" means it breaks the counter system. There is no counterplay to it because it already beats that which is supposed to counter it.

"Overpowered" simply means that it is strong enough that the effort of countering it is costly, difficult, and often hurts you more than it hurts them.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Mitoe wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:I would like to make the argument that it's fine for a unit to be slightly stronger than comparable units, if that serves a purpose of meaningfully defining a civ's playstyle in a way that is unique and interesting. But it's impossible to argue this when people keep throwing out "BuT iTs BrOkEn" which is impossible to discuss with because they don't provide a definition for broken and there is no universal definition for broken in this context. How can I then explain them it's not a counterargument to my point?
diarouga wrote:It's just that the unit breaks the counter system and is much better than goons at everything.
I honestly don't care about semantics but a special unit is a unit which has its own balanced counter system. The brs counter system is simply not balanced.
"Broken" means it breaks the counter system. There is no counterplay to it because it already beats that which is supposed to counter it.

"Overpowered" simply means that it is strong enough that the effort of countering it is costly, difficult, and often hurts you more than it hurts them.
ffs, the counter system doesn't break. You make skirmishers against bow riders. They are supposed to counter it, and they will because the sioux eco is shit so they'll have 2/3rd of your army. It works.

What you're trying to say is that you think that Bow riders are so strong that Sioux only needs to make one unit, and you think that is unfun. That's your point, isn't it?
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

They were very close to breaking the counter system. There's a reason why going full Bow Rider was the thing to do on RE patch. I remember losing so many games to that.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I'd agree with the point that bow riders are so strong that they're the only thing you'd have to make. That's why I only suggested maybe a +10 hp buff. I would like it if bow riders could be the core part of the sioux army, but not the only part. The style of running around, raiding, abusing your mobility to take good engagements and to outplay the opponent, I loved the shit out of that. The only lame part was that you could just make full bow riders, which made micro boring and it was a bit one dimensional. But I loved the core of that style and I think you could bring it back by partially reverting the bow rider nerf.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
Mitoe wrote:

ffs, the counter system doesn't break. You make skirmishers against bow riders. They are supposed to counter it, and they will because the sioux eco is shit so they'll have 2/3rd of your army. It works.

What you're trying to say is that you think that Bow riders are so strong that Sioux only needs to make one unit, and you think that is unfun. That's your point, isn't it?
Why do you assume that sioux gets outmassed ?
Their eco is worse than the nilla civ butbarely worse than the Iro/Aztec eco, and as far as I know, Iro and Aztecs aren't outmassed by nilla civs. Also against slow civs you can even take the TP line and stagecoach.
This argument is just wrong, in practice the nilla civs don't outmass Sioux in semi ff wars, even with their better eco.
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

Umeu was very good at this, and I lost a lot of games to him when he was active last year doing exactly that (BR + Axe and sometimes RR and nothing else really). Trust me when I say it doesn't need to be changed. @Lukas_L99 can back me up here.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Their eco is worse than the nilla civ butbarely worse than the Iro/Aztec eco, and as far as I know, Iro and Aztecs aren't outmassed by nilla civs. Also against slow civs you can even take the TP line and stagecoach.
This argument is just wrong, in practice the nilla civs don't outmass Sioux in semi ff wars, even with their better eco.
Are you assuming EP here? With teepees?
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

RefluxSemantic wrote:I'd agree with the point that bow riders are so strong that they're the only thing you'd have to make. That's why I only suggested maybe a +10 hp buff. I would like it if bow riders could be the core part of the sioux army, but not the only part. The style of running around, raiding, abusing your mobility to take good engagements and to outplay the opponent, I loved the shit out of that. The only lame part was that you could just make full bow riders, which made micro boring and it was a bit one dimensional. But I loved the core of that style and I think you could bring it back by partially reverting the bow rider nerf.
You wouldn't bring it back because of EP maps. Also people wall in competitive games nowadays.
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

Oh, ger and fre outmass pretty hard right now tbh
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Mitoe wrote:Umeu was very good at this, and I lost a lot of games to him when he was active last year doing exactly that (BR + Axe and sometimes RR and nothing else really). Trust me when I say it doesn't need to be changed. @Lukas_L99 can back me up here.
So, then why do sioux need weird buffs? Can't they function with ever so slightly stronger bow riders (or axe riders, wouldn't really matter to me) and then revert to otherwise RE status? (though the cetan buffs were pretty nice).
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

RefluxSemantic wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Are you assuming EP here? With teepees?
No, even on the RE Sioux would get as many units till like 11-12min. After they'd get outmassed of course but definitely not 2/3rd of your army.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

please stop derailing the thread, was a great discussion
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

Mitoe wrote:Umeu was very good at this, and I lost a lot of games to him when he was active last year doing exactly that (BR + Axe and sometimes RR and nothing else really). Trust me when I say it doesn't need to be changed. @Lukas_L99 can back me up here.
That was back in the 5v teepee aura stack times, right now sioux gets outmassed hard usually
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
So, then why do sioux need weird buffs? Can't they function with ever so slightly stronger bow riders (or axe riders, wouldn't really matter to me) and then revert to otherwise RE status? (though the cetan buffs were pretty nice).
That's mostly what they would be after these changes to be honest, but at least they would have some more options in doubling down on their eco if they need to vs turtle playstyles and stuff.

Axe Riders don't need buffs either though, they are also insanely cost effective.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Like what I don't get is that there's this very desirable style of sioux (what umeu was apperantly good at), which exactly fits the Sioux identity and which seems really fun to me. Then we conclude that Sioux is not strong enough, but instead of looking at this style and making it slightly stronger, we give them eco changes (which are often pretty weird or ugly). Why not just buff the style that's perfect for the civ identity?
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

It is not fun, lol. Vs Umeu it was already strong enough that if I left my base then I would lose. Maybe it's fun to be Sioux, but it's equally as important to be fun to play against.

Listen I played a ton vs Sioux over the last year, and you don't need to buff their military. Their military is honestly incredible.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Like what I don't get is that there's this very desirable style of sioux (what umeu was apperantly good at), which exactly fits the Sioux identity and which seems really fun to me. Then we conclude that Sioux is not strong enough, but instead of looking at this style and making it slightly stronger, we give them eco changes (which are often pretty weird or ugly). Why not just buff the style that's perfect for the civ identity?
As others already said, it's not that viable on EP anymore due to maps. Also not very fun to play against.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
Mitoe wrote:

Jesus christ, do we even play the same fucking game? Sioux don't have 2/3rd of your army lmao, they usually have a solid mass. You realize not having to pay for houses is a sort of eco right? And having strong unit shipments is also a thing?

Anyway who fucking cares? The actual point was that we don't want the civ to have to rely purely on one overpowered unit to win. It means they'll underperform vs civs that have the tools to beat it (e.g india with their strong infantry and fast zambs) but overperform vs civs that don't (e.g nerfed germany). We're not even discussing how strong sioux is or how strong the sioux army is overall. We're telling you the fucking unit does not need a buff because it's already strong enough. We've explained a billion times that it breaks the counter system (no, it's not normal that only 1 unit type barely counters it........). Now please, stop arguing against everyone just for the sake of it and accept you're wrong

I'm gonna use the argument of authority here, but if I was some dude and 4 top players disagreed with me, I'd be a little modest and MAYBE, who knows, consider I might be wrong?
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I'm going to use an argument of authority here. An entire time of professional game designers that worked on aoe3 for their jobs and made some of the most succesful games ever disagree with you. I'd be a little modest and MAYBE, who knows, consider I might be wrong?
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Lmao, you mean these people who obviously fucked up the whole game, which is why we had to create our own patch? Are you fucking kidding me?
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

RefluxSemantic wrote:An entire time of professional game designers that worked on aoe3 for their jobs and made some of the most succesful games ever disagree with you.
Eh, when you create a civ you don't know how the civ is going to evolve.
Who could have predicted 10 years ago that the meta would evolve that way, with almost every civ building TPs and fighting for the TP line ? The designers couldn't predict it. Furthermore, if you assume that the game designers are always right, how do you explain that TAD was so fucked up early on ?

It's easy to criticize afterward, but building a civ from scratch is extremely hard.