Balance Polls

Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Balance Polls

Post by BrookG »

I have been through a scavenger hunt to find the results of all EP Balance Polls and compiled them in comparison with Tournament picks. You can find the spreadsheet here. I will include a graph with both data and a short sentence to describe them.

Regarding Perceived Strength, it refers to data taken from all the pre- and post-tournament balance polls I could find in the forums. I believe one for EP5.0 was missing. The maximum value in the questionnaire was 10 and minimum 1.

Tournament picks have been normalised. Each value is divided by the maximum number of picks and then multiplied by 10. So, 10 denotes the most chosen civ and 0 a civ that was never chosen.
Aztecs
British
Chinese
Dutch
French
Germans
Indians
Iroquois
Japanese
Ottomans
Portuguese
Russians
Sioux
Spanish
Few Clarifications
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
France iNcog
Ninja

Re: Balance Polls

Post by iNcog »

oh lol this is interesting

I gtg but will read properly when back
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

There are some interesting results like the strengh of Germany and India, and France being a bit underrated. Still, you'd have to do that with top players only (like RO8+) because lower level players tend to pick their best civ, regardless of the balance state, and this might explain why British is so common.
Great job, anyway.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

Polls don't include pr/elo demographics, that's why I used the general tournament data.

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

Data are so hard to find! Or iam a big big noob or each time i want try some stuff i struggle a lot to find them lol.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

chronique wrote:Data are so hard to find! Or iam a big big noob or each time i want try some stuff i struggle a lot to find them lol.
I spent all morning searching to find all those different EP polls. Tournaments were easier, since I had done the biggest job already

Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

What are the units for the scale on the left hand side?
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

Is it the ratio of games played with given civ to games played with most popular civ times 10?
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

Nice work ! I've been looking for those famous balances plot and it was like trying to shot an urumi in a mass of sepoys so I can understand the pain...
I'm not sure the graph are the best way to compare the data though. What are the tournament preferences graph exactly ? What is plotted ?
Also I think raw civ repartition among top 10 players (in ladder/qs/tournaments) would be more significant to measure preference.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

Nice work doing all this. The r/dataisbeautiful person in me is slightly mad that they aren't all scaled up to 10 on the left hand side but that is just a nitpick.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

Ok few clarifications: I found the balance polls by searching in the ep discussion forum. It was indeed very hard to find all those results. I used the search tool with term "balance poll" and went through 30-40 pages of results.

They used a ranking of 1 (weak) -10 (strong) and asked participants what they think considering the specific EP notes. For what I understand there wasn't any pr/elo restrictions. That's why I avoided focusing on the top players.

As for tournament preference, it's simply the total picks in the specific tournament normalised as explained in OP. Since tournaments are the main testing ground for EP and have a more serious setting than qs/ladder, the civ picks reflect in a fair degree what people think is strong.

Of course, you have the factor of people being familiar with certain civs and play mostly with them, but I can't think of a measure that accounts for that.

(Added in OP)

Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

wardyb1 wrote:Nice work doing all this. The r/dataisbeautiful person in me is slightly mad that they aren't all scaled up to 10 on the left hand side but that is just a nitpick.
I reuploaded the graphs with y-axes scaled up to 12.

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Tournament picks are highly dependent on the map pool and the MU between two individual players, the tournament civ-selection rules, and, as everyone has already said, player-civ familiarity (Paul Harrell says the best gun is the gun you can shoot well). Balance polls don't account for this, and are largely an exercise in critical thinking.

I assume all tournament players take the EP balance poll. It would be interesting to see how many users take the poll and do not participate in tournaments.

Nice data, thank you for the effort.