Rattan Shield unit tags

Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Rattan Shield unit tags

Post by lemmings121 »

At this point i'm not even sure if thats a bug that people dont know about, or if thats a feature. But rattans dont have the coyoteman unit tag, only lightinf tag. That means dragoon type units actually dont have a bonus vs them, only pike/meele musk and similar units actually counter them.

Shouldnt hey have the right unit tag?
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Re: Rattan Shield unit tags

Post by Lukas_L99 »

Yeah that's basically the only reason why they're good
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Like Lukas said, I'm pretty sure they'd be kinda useless in the mid-late game without that.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

They suck vs other cav, and with coyote tag they'd actually be better vs skirms since skirmies have 0.75x vs coyoteman. They're fine how they are right now, tiger claws also lack the coyoteman tag and they're not super problematic
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

Being light on tags is their unique identity in the rock-paper-scissors game. If goons hard-countered them, they would share the fate of all other industrial nat shipments.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

I don't feel the tag should be included, but maybe the amount of rattans you get from the age 4 shipment should be reduced slightly.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

Riotcoke wrote:I don't feel the tag should be included, but maybe the amount of rattans you get from the age 4 shipment should be reduced slightly.
^this

I like rattans just being an all around solid melee unit that takes minimal bonus damage but has lower stats. Its unique
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

I would like it to have a more fluid tag.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

Just think of rattans as reverse rifle riders: countered by musk huss, counters skirm/goon (keeping in mind of course that goons can kite of course, but don't get a bonus). Thats what makes them so powerful in midgame and weaker in early game, a very unique attribute
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

i forgot but why is there a coyoteman tag again? isnt that what the light infantry tag is for?
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

helln00 wrote:i forgot but why is there a coyoteman tag again? isnt that what the light infantry tag is for?
Eagle runners have light inf too, without coyote then goons would hard counter erks. Coyoteman is the equivalent of "heavy cav" for light inf. There's some inconsistencies regarding the tags though
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

dansil92 wrote:
helln00 wrote:i forgot but why is there a coyoteman tag again? isnt that what the light infantry tag is for?
Eagle runners have light inf too, without coyote then goons would hard counter erks. Coyoteman is the equivalent of "heavy cav" for light inf. There's some inconsistencies regarding the tags though
Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt how the cavalry system works is that there is a overall "Cavalry" tag that all cav has and hussars only has the cav and hand cav tags while goons have the cav and light cav tag. Thats why goons can still be shreded by pikes or halbs if they make contact and also why the goon multipliers are cav and not heavy cav

If the light infantry system sort of mirrors that then shouldnt the light infantry tag be the sort of overall tag, which it kind of is and there be a erk tag instead of a coyote tag
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

helln00 wrote:
dansil92 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt how the cavalry system works is that there is a overall "Cavalry" tag that all cav has and hussars only has the cav and hand cav tags while goons have the cav and light cav tag. Thats why goons can still be shreded by pikes or halbs if they make contact and also why the goon multipliers are cav and not heavy cav

If the light infantry system sort of mirrors that then shouldnt the light infantry tag be the sort of overall tag, which it kind of is and there be a erk tag instead of a coyote tag
Skirms do 2x against light cav and eagle runners, but because skirms do 0.75 to all cav they net 1.5x vs goons

But because skirms do 0.75 to coyoteman and not 'abstractLightInfantry' this leads to skirms doing a full 2x against erks.

Eagle runners are very vulnerable in melee with musks, piki, and *especially* rodeleros (which have the same speed making escape impossible, and because eagle runners can be forced into melee mode, which goons cannot)

Coyote runners and disciples both have the coyoteman tag and are countered like any true hand cav

Tiger claws are light infantry and infantry simultaneously, which is stupid, and makes them vulnerable to every unit class except skirms. Lancers and artillery shred them.

And finally, rattan shields are pure raw light infantry. They take multi only from heavy infantry in melee and the only ranged counters are fusiliers (1.5x at range) and revolutionary militia (2x i think at range). Interestingly they take full damage from skirms, but with 20rr they net similar damage to coyote which take 0.75x but with only 10rr.

The simple fix to the inconsistency is to remove "infantry" from tiger claws and replace every instance of ranged infantry doing 0.75x vs "coyoteman" with "abstractLightInfantry"
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

dansil92 wrote:
helln00 wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Yeah thats sort of what I was thinking, though wouldnt that make rattan shield even more op against skirm since the only reason they take full damage now is because they lack the coyote tag.

If we want it to mirror the cav system then I think goons also have to have multipliers to light infantry instead of coyote. Though that would make rattan lose their special status.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

The cav system doesn't work like that... goons counter the "hand cav" tag not "abstract cav" otherwise goons would obliterate each other
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Oh I didn't know this. no wonder they're so good, they don't have a counter unit tag when the whole of aoe3 revolves around counter units

I guess beefy cav should be able to do okay vs them; as well as beefy musks or HI
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

dansil92 wrote:The cav system doesn't work like that... goons counter the "hand cav" tag not "abstract cav" otherwise goons would obliterate each other
huh did not know that, I always thought goon counters all cav since the multiplier just says cav.

does pike counter all cavs including goons though?
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

Pikes counter all cav, including goons yeah. Rodelero falc is just so disgusting for that reason, the goons cant get close to rods.

Goons only hard counter hand cav, coyote runners and disciples, which is why (for example) in an india mirror if you're staying colonial the tiger claw shipment will wreck a zamb gurkha comp so it is lowkey often better to go sepoy sowar