just get rid of walls...

No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Re: just get rid of walls...

Post by helln00 »

Yeah i think 10 wood per segment is a good number for the cost of wall segements, and maybe also up their build time abit, especially the bastion walls.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Peachrocks wrote:Like as victor I think said 'how do walls stay up without pillars?'.
well tbf palisades resist lateral load by having massive posts (palisade from palus means stake) driven into the ground (wood is even a little stronger in tension than it is in compression) but stone/masonry, which is weak in tension, requires a great thickness to resist significant lateral loads. Churches used to just fall down all the time. The medieval curtain wall (tall, relatively thin masonry walls with intermittent towers/pillars for needed stability) which worked well for archers and required the enemy use very tall ladders to scale, became obsolete come the advent of cannon siege weapons because the stone walls were too tall and too thin to sustain the localized damage. So walls got shorter, thicker, their lengths became less, the profiles trapezoidal, and their layout became zig-zag'd to increase soldier LOS and also this would increase lateral resistance. Engineers built earthen damns on the populated side of the walls to absorb shock damage and provide additional support, and then that became the bastion fort: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bastion_fort

Then the bastion fort became obsolete come the advent of mortars.

So you can require your stone walls have pillars but acknowledging that they need them should mean that they die to artillery much faster than they do, and that mortars should decimate any aoe3 wall, for hishtorical accurashcy.

Just let the pillars be deleted, it's ez.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

Could be cool, pillarless walls being cheaper but weaker to siege.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

current walls are already stone like wtf? %50 less hp, %75 less LOS and nerf to bastion build time/age. Just because a few mad losers get mad at it shouldn't legalize a point to remove walls entirely from aoe3, they are already overnerfed so I don't really get the discussion about walls
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Well the Los from walls was just broken so you can't complain about that

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

deleted_user wrote:current walls are already stone like wtf? %50 less hp, %75 less LOS and nerf to bastion build time/age. Just because a few mad losers get mad at it shouldn't legalize a point to remove walls entirely from aoe3, they are already overnerfed so I don't really get the discussion about walls
baited-8344.jpg
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Yesterday I saw that the "how to lame port water" thread was bumped and I read more "conversation" between breeze and a 2nd lt and I actually got sad, like actually I experienced physical and emotional discomfort at the idea of naive, gullible noobs actively wanting to exploit the game's imbalanced mechanics and look up to players like breeze and kynesie to do it.
Great Britain CuCkO0
Dragoon
ESO: CuCkO0

Post by CuCkO0 »

People generally get mad and frustrated over things they lose to or can't beat. That's your own downfall, not the person that is taking advantage of what the game has to offer.
KINGofOsmane wrote:If Elo is down what are we even fighting for
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Aoe3 isn't made for macro games. The lategame is too imbalanced, and there's too many broken mechanics overall. Plus you shouldn't be able to win without any mapcontrol. Plus it makes for extremely passive and boring games. So yeah walls are annoying
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

Well there is plenty of fun to be had playing treaty and decent balance in lategame can be achieved as good as it can be in 1v1 sup, but I agree with your other points.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Aoe3 isn't made for macro games.
according to who? I can say the same that aoe3 isn't made for micro but macro games. in fact the game should equally include both. The arrogance level over here is real lmao, same shit again and again, just no point at even discussing..
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

Walls are lame, some civs can't outboom with full map control that's why it's not a macrogame. Honestly plantations being a thing is so much worse for the game than people realise

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Well some games have either no access to res lategame (starcraft) , or have to control at least half the map for a decent trade route income (age of titans) both methods, particularly aot have much better lategames than aoe3. Bastion walls arent a problem when mortars are available so could potentially move mortars to age 3 or move bastion to age 4. 1500 hp should be fairly easy to deal with in age 3.
Italy Blastkiller
Dragoon
ESO: Blastkiller

Post by Blastkiller »

Walls are boring and stupid, I'd only give them to noobs. I hate walls because many players take advantage of it to wall up a map or exaggerate to line up walls precisely because of the low cost. In my opinion, a good player knows how to defend himself even without walls, I would ban walls. Raise the cost of the walls to 10 as they say please
No one will escape from me, from my Russians, neither a troll nor a hacker nor a smurf, they will all give days in front of my strelets
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

Hazza54321 wrote:Well some games have either no access to res lategame (starcraft) , or have to control at least half the map for a decent trade route income (age of titans) both methods, particularly aot have much better lategames than aoe3. Bastion walls arent a problem when mortars are available so could potentially move mortars to age 3 or move bastion to age 4. 1500 hp should be fairly easy to deal with in age 3.
The cost for a wall for the utility gain is still insanely low though . Also the point about mortars is kinda moot as if you're giving the other guy enough time for you to go 4 and get 5 mortars to take down the wall he's sort of won as you've invested a fuck tonne already

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

Why don't we just increase the cost of walls to 8 or 10 wood or something? See how it impacts things and play from there.
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

I love how many people ask for walls to be nerfed because "they are too useful", when in reality most top players almost never build walls or only just a small one very rarely and when walls get sieged down in seconds by all units.

Now you might say, "they don't build them because they hate this playstyle" - considering how competitive some people are, I doubt this would prevent many from building them. Also, compare this to aoe2 where basically EVERY single top player builds walls, in almost all games, with basically any civ. So if walls are "too useful" in aoe3 because like two players in the top30 use them often and another 10 use them occasionally, what are walls in aoe2, where one palisade can stop a whole rush?

I do realize there are differences between aoe2 and aoe3, that civs in aoe3 scale differently and that lategame can be unbalanced. However, this does not immediately make any use of walls OP nor does it require a nerf for them.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

chris1089 wrote:Why don't we just increase the cost of walls to 8 or 10 wood or something? See how it impacts things and play from there.
walls are already nerfed quite hard so its impossible to get to ask further nerf, anything additional means remove walls from aoe3 which would be the dumbest move ever
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

@Astaroth We aren't saying walls are too strong, just that they make for shit games and their design is garbage.
Also you're so much missing the point, why even compare to aoe 2? Resources are much more finite in that game, meaning you can't totally give up mapcontrol. Also lategame is way more balanced cause civs are more similar, in aoe 3 it's so different
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

Walls are way too good even on low HP. You can pay 50 wood to basically say “no mechanics needed until you reach critical mass”.

It also allows people to just never learn proper building placement.

In this game it’s hard to siege any building because of the poke potential let alone 1500HP for 5 wood. If you take literally one crossbow shot while sieging the wall paid off.

In regards to why I don’t typically build walls in tournaments, I actually want people to have to play a more complex game. People walking in between my buildings creates room for me to out play them. If I walled then they could just chill out while I chilled out.

There are times where I have a big lead and the only loss is to raids or late game raids. In those cases I do build walls.
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

why walls are not more expenssive then?

in aoe 2 they are kinda costly but necessary.
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
Sweden Victor_swe
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by Victor_swe »

Ive always found walls a bit lame. Its usually impossible to get a full circle swesiege on a Wall.
Dead hunts cant walk....

BrookG - "There is a G in everyone"
Finland somp
Dragoon

Post by somp »

Walls aren't op. They are used probably less than 25% tournament games, my educated guess. They actually do increase skill cap. Even in something like fre mirror, aggressive mini walling could be an advantage but it requires extra apm, which should be rewarded.

"Walls are op but I don't use them cause I don't like them" is such a crappy argument. Surely, especially in tournaments with prizepots would use them if they would create significant advantage.

Vs turtle wall japs you simply adapt, make stagecoach build and go fortress. If there are no tps, you probably picked up a bad MU, ur mistake.
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

everyone was walling like fuck in NWC when there was big prize pool.
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
Finland somp
Dragoon

Post by somp »

But that's a good sign. Walls being excessively used, for example breeze being top 1 most of civs, walling literally all map, would be a sign they're op. NWC was nothing like that.
Walls are part of the game but I don't think there's any evidence they're op rn.