EP9: More details on fixed crates

Discussions for the last iteration of EP.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

EP9: More details on fixed crates

Post by Mitoe »

There seemed to be some confusion / uncertainty about exactly what fixed crates would look like or what they seek to accomplish, so here's a bit more information. Please discuss and make suggestions, if you have ideas. We will poll this again when we get closer to beta testing, or once it has been tested, depending on how positive or negative the discussion seems to be. It will be polled before the final release of EP9 either way.

A lot of civs (arguably) differ greatly on different crate starts. India or Japan for example are significantly faster or slower depending on whether they received an additional wood or coin crate. Some starts give you plenty of options, while others result in almost no options. Reducing the amount of randomness at the start of the game gives a lot more control over game balance, as well as more accurate information to go on when actually addressing game balance.

Civilization Crate Proposal:
This is my proposal for each civilization at the moment. The goal is mostly to focus on giving the player some decisions to make at the beginning of the game.

The best part about fixed crates is that none of this is set in stone, and all of it is easily tweakable to either better balance a civ or give it more interesting early gameplay.

Aztec (Food :food: + Wood :wood: )
Spoiler
British (Food :food: + Wood :wood: )
Spoiler
China (Wood :wood: )
Spoiler
Dutch (Coin :coin: + Wood :wood: )
Spoiler
France (Food :food: + Wood :wood: )
Spoiler
Germany (Food :food: + Coin :coin: )
Spoiler
India (Food :food: + Wood :wood: ):
Spoiler
Iroquois (Food :food: + Wood :wood: ):
Spoiler
Japan (Food :food: + Wood :wood: ):
Spoiler
Ottoman (Food :food: + Wood :wood: ):
Spoiler
Portuguese (Food :food: + Wood :wood: ):
Spoiler
Russia (Food :food: + Wood :wood: ):
Spoiler
Sioux (Food :food: + Wood :wood: ):
Spoiler
Spain (Food :food: + Wood :wood: ):
Spoiler
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Re: EP9: More details on fixed crates

Post by Challenger_Marco »

Yes I agree with this!
:nwc:
United States of America giveuanxiety
Advanced Player
Donator 02
ESO: GiveUAnxiety

Post by giveuanxiety »

Very nice write up and that looks really good. The only thing I disagree with is giving Germany a coin crate. It just feels weird them getting coin when France gets 200 wood. And basically no1 gets coin crate. I would give Germany 200 wood and balance around that.
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

WHAT does check your stove means? And how do you do it?
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Japan can also go double shrine on wood start.
We'll have to remove some nerfs/buffs with fixed crates anyway, but that's a good thing I'd say.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

This is an interesting and not as entirely unimplementable solution as it may seem. However, I would be afraid it's over-complicating the game setup too much with option bloat. Players counter-picking crate starts just sounds like a frustrating experience for everyone involved.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
China Zeke
Dragoon
ESO: XYH

Post by Zeke »

Why China and Germany have different fixed crates to most other civs, sounds bit unfair to me.
What's the reason for China not having the 300f starting, don't see why China can't have the same starting crate as British, can probably revert village cost btw
In the case of Germany, food + wood start should be fine with the tp nerf on tp maps and success alternative xp on non-tp maps, could maybe try wood only
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer
ESO: Peachrocks

Post by Peachrocks »

Personally I feel on the most part as a starting point, things should be minimised and building age one trade posts shouldn’t be something that’s normalised and that other compensation is given as to make balance on Tp and non Tp significantly easier or at the very least closer. Ottoman is obviously an exception to the rule since they are a whole other problem and they’ve been building tps with their starting resources since the game came out.

I mean yeah Germany or almost anyone can chop out the tp if it really wants but that comes with being notably slower. Still regardless, fixing the crates makes it significantly easier to balance starts and players can figure out directly what they want.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

This honestly just feels like an ease of life change to be honest.
French Southern Territories kevinitalien
Lancer
ESO: KEVINITALIEN
Clan: PLOP

Post by kevinitalien »

i'm sad for german, i'm sad for ep, i hate this idea
Image Image
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

kevinitalien wrote:i'm sad for german, i'm sad for ep, i hate this idea
would you like this idea if germany had 200w
Lancer

Post by kevinitalien »

deleted_user wrote:
no
Image Image
Georgia Qosashvili93
Dragoon
ESO: Qosashvili93

Post by Qosashvili93 »

China was cancer even after starting crate nerfs and now will be super buper cancer civ again

Idk how it will work, id like idea of giving all civs just neutral crates, but maybe this will work better idk need shit ton of tests
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

kevinitalien wrote:
deleted_user wrote:
no
but y tho
Lancer

Post by kevinitalien »

deleted_user wrote:
kevinitalien wrote:
Show hidden quotes
no
but y tho
I can not imagine the German (start gold with xp nerf) facing the fre (start wood) or even worse the spain, see almost the same build occurred again and again now that the start will always be the same, it's terrible
Image Image
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

But I asked what if ger also started with wood? You appeal to that same argument after already denouncing it. And Germany's xp penalty is being reduced. Read Mitoe's spoiler and respond to that. Know also that if fixed crates are accepted, then balance changes will occur to accommodate the resulting lack of irregularity.

Overarching builds are not very dependent upon crate start. You either build a market or a TP in age 1, and then the other in transition. But the effects of increased balance by fixing that crate start and knowing which is more likely to occur, are substantial.

This all just reinforces my idea to allow players to choose their random crate. No one gets mad, and balance gets achieved anyways. is ez.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Fixed crates would be a good idea if the other sections of the game were viable across the table. But certain things are pretty much better over the others. Combines this with an absolute best start over slightly or worse starts you would expect single or couple best starts to develop which will be played again and again
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

Maybe give fre and ger both 1/2 chance of 200w start or 100g start?
:nwc:
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Challenger_Marco wrote:Maybe give fre and ger both 1/2 chance of 200w start or 100g start?
That's not fixed crates, and sometimes you'd get a coin start against a wood start xD.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

If fixed crates are to be established, they must be established alongside standard maps that don't have 4+ TPs, and the TP radius should be reverted, so that the line is always contestable with even one TP.

Non-TP maps should have just as many res in base as TP maps (they seem to not? perhaps non TP maps should even have more res in base) such that the ideal non-TP civs are not the always rush + contain civs like Russia, India, and Aztec.
Lancer

Post by kevinitalien »

if a lot of players like this change, don't put the default start woods would be much better imo, the best solution is to delete all the extra crates and play with the one by defaults as garja said
Image Image
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

kevinitalien wrote:if a lot of players like this change, don't put the default start woods would be much better imo, the best solution is to delete all the extra crates and play with the one by defaults as garja said
Not very fun if you can't ever market start, TP start, two village start, etccccccc because you just start with less crates. Besides, balance, whether fixed crates or not, has always incorporated this extra crate, so it would be foolish to delete it.

Part of the balance team is to not delete the fun from the game, and the fun begins at 0:01.
Lancer

Post by kevinitalien »

deleted_user wrote:
kevinitalien wrote:if a lot of players like this change, don't put the default start woods would be much better imo, the best solution is to delete all the extra crates and play with the one by defaults as garja said
Not very fun if you can't ever market start, TP start, two village start, etccccccc because you just start with less crates. Besides, balance, whether fixed crates or not, has always incorporated this extra crate, so it would be foolish to delete it.

Part of the balance team is to not delete the fun from the game, and the fun begins at 0:01.
agree, but the fact of always having a start wood and repeating the same thing over and over also takes away pleasure as for example to see brit playing vc at all games or jap playing consulate port at all games, and then the meta tp starts to annoy everyone but its would be a start wood for everyone, it is a bit contradictory in the end, even if the tp are nerf its rest the same
Image Image
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

kevinitalien wrote:
deleted_user wrote:

agree, but the fact of always having a start wood and repeating the same thing over and over also takes away pleasure as for example to see brit playing vc at all games or jap playing consulate port at all games, and then the meta tp starts to annoy everyone but its would be a start wood for everyone, it is a bit contradictory in the end, even if the tp are nerf its rest the same
But the TP nerfs could very well affect that. It's already difficult to TP and go 3v/VC as brit and have a card as you reach age 2. And in a lot of MUs you don't want to do that because it's too slow because you need to stack 200w for a military building asap.

So I will return to a point I made half a year ago - that players are boring, not the game or the crate start. It's a sad focus on what is considered "meta" when no one has actually "figured it out." It's not like age 1 decisions were really the exciting parts of the game before. The truth is that fixed crates may actually allow players to strategize ahead of time, and provide more interesting build orders, if they know what they're working with.

The simple fact that India v Dutch coin start can exist now is a reason to opt for fixed crates.

And I will say, again, that allowing players to choose which random crate they start with avoids all of this fucking mess without affecting balance. This idea is the only reason I'm even participating in this thread.

The only argument against this is refusing ger the TP start so that they are more balanced on non TP maps.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Good not to fix a TP start for Ger, as that means we'd have to balance them around it, making them super TP reliant and thus even worse than now on no TP maps. Maybe, as essentially every civ now gets a superior crate start than ger, and ger would be granted not to get an early TP easily, the xp penalty could be decreased to 105%. And then germany would even have a shipment ready upon colonial on a no TP map :OOO

I'm quite sure coin + wood is OP for dutch though. That means 14 age up without a delayed bank would be a thing we see often (just need a couple treasures probably), which is a bit risky. Even with a 15v age up, dutch would consistently be much faster than now. And having a good start snowballs especially hard as dutch, you sort of get your banks (and shipments) way earlier. Like dutch struggling to train a vil upon age up, waiting for 350f to drop the second bank, having to keep 2 vils on gold to maintain villager production, sending the bank wagon later because of the late xp from the delayed second bank... Is kinda not the same civ as dutch just queuing vils constantly thanks to early banks, slamming banks one after another, all vils on food.
I get that other civs also get the superior crates start, but I still think this is too strong, I may be wrong though.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..