EP9: PORTUGUESE

Discussions for the last iteration of EP.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Re: EP9: PORTUGUESE

Post by duckzilla »

Heresy! Ports need access to Spahis.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

duckzilla wrote:Heresy! Ports need access to trainable Spahis.
FTFY.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

Ports are boring, not imbalanced lol
France Charlesh
Skirmisher
ESO: Charlesh

Post by Charlesh »

port need urumi age 2.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

Let's not be silly. If you are going to give ports vils for market techs, you may as well give them a 4 vil card.
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

Ports are unpopular because they have no bully button in colonial and no bully button in fortress.
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

Ports are unpopular because they are passive and the things they do well (ie boom) other civs do it better while being stronger in the early game.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Germany Makrokosmos12
Skirmisher
ESO: Templer12

Post by Makrokosmos12 »

Garja wrote:Remove 5% food boost and they're fine.
no lol, they need a small boost for the earlygame.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Give ports an additional starting settler.

You might think that this is a buff. But actually, this is a nerf to their TC bonus, because they will now build less settler in total.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

duckzilla wrote:Give ports an additional starting settler.

You might think that this is a buff. But actually, this is a nerf to their TC bonus, because they will now build less settler in total.
That would be a great change, except for the fact that it kinda kills the 10/10 (tho I guess you could still build a house and go 11/20 for the same age up time). I certainly think that is better than +5% food gathering, that change is so un-AoE3-like.
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Makrokosmos12 wrote:
Garja wrote:Remove 5% food boost and they're fine.
no lol, they need a small boost for the earlygame.
They already got some buff in military and stuff. They're fine on EP maps.
Image Image Image
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Darwin_ wrote:

That would be a great change, except for the fact that it kinda kills the 10/10 (tho I guess you could still build a house and go 11/20 for the same age up time). I certainly think that is better than +5% food gathering, that change is so un-AoE3-like.
He was joking. For the record, ports with 8 vils would easily be the best civ.

Also as much as I'm not a fan of +5% hunt gathering, idk that you can say it's "un-AoE3-like". After all dutch has +15% coin gathering. And india has +15% wood gathering (though that's just auto-researched market upgrades, but still).
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

Kaiserklein wrote:
Darwin_ wrote:

Also as much as I'm not a fan of +5% hunt gathering, idk that you can say it's "un-AoE3-like". After all dutch has +15% coin gathering. And india has +15% wood gathering (though that's just auto-researched market upgrades, but still).
Don't forget that indian trees yield 50% more wood
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

harcha wrote: Don't forget that indian trees yield 50% more wood
that isn't a thing, right?
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer
ESO: Peachrocks

Post by Peachrocks »

Kaiserklein wrote:In my book current ports are fine. If anything the problem is that they benefit too much from atp or water maps. But even on your average standard land map, I feel like ports aren't too weak, or barely. They have a couple horrible match ups, like vs china or japan, but that's about it really. I didn't read most of the thread but I kinda want to assume people are calling the civ weak because it used to be weak and no one bothered to play it on the latest EP (and I have).

Also the 10/10 option (which has btw never been as viable as now, with 300f 200w start back and +5% hunts gathering rate) is actually really strong on TP maps where you expect to find a a food treasure or some livestock. Can even feel too strong sometimes.
Well trade routes are getting nerfed anyway so there's that and water if it comes to it, can be reeled in, even for Portugal alone if necessary. I admit I have not looked at all into 10/10 but then even if I had, the judgement I can provide on a personal playing experience are relatively minimal.

If that's the general feeling then maybe they should just be left alone. It's true, they aren't the most interesting of civs and sure some new/changed age 1 cards would do nicely to give the civ some real flavour to give them options rather than significant boosts but we'll see how things go. The other thing too, is that with natives being improved Portugal can potentially gain from that. They don't have super special native cards no, but being able to send ATP first makes using natives easier which is a significant part of the reason they are my most played. That and my general gravitation to underused aspects of games.

In any case I really appreciate the insight :flowers:.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

I mean technically ports should have +15% food gather rate if we're going for symmetry (dont do this of course)

Maybe my sarcastic suggestion of a cow or a sheep with every shipment isnt a terrible idea lol
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Cow with each shipment was also my idea but this sort of extra stuff doesn't belong to euro civs. The civ has enough stuff both for design uniqueness and also for balance.
Image Image Image
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

knusch wrote:
Yes it is. India will chop 300w out of a 150w tree.
Though I'm not sure what it has to do with gathering rates
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

Kaiserklein wrote:
knusch wrote:
Yes it is. India will chop 300w out of a 150w tree.
Though I'm not sure what it has to do with gathering rates
I thought it was 450w out of a 300w tree, but it is most certainly a thing
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

Kaiserklein wrote:
Darwin_ wrote:

Oh shit, you're right that he was joking lol. And point well taken visa-vie dutch and indian bonuses, but I still think 8 vill ports would be a good change and I doubt it would make them OP, its about the same boost to their age 1 as 80f vills (1 extra starting vill would gather ~150 food before clicking up, 80f vills would save 120f with a 13 age up), and that change that was only too strong because it scaled so well.
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

Garja wrote:Cow with each shipment was also my idea but this sort of extra stuff doesn't belong to euro civs. The civ has enough stuff both for design uniqueness and also for balance.
I mean truthfully its not that different from uhlans - if it were done then they'd need a very slight xp penalty (2%?), and it would give them a nice boost late colonial and early fortress when they need it most, with it not being terribly influential in the lategame. A sheep might be a bit too weak but also could probably be done without any penalty at all. Since atp is a common first card and the exact arrival time of the first card in a schooners build is fairly irrelevant, it wouldn't really affect standard builds other than likely adding a livestock pen in at some point and would be an awesome excuse to get rid of the 5% food bonus.

With all that being said, I do think ports is in a decent spot for balance, maybe a bit too map dependent, even if it is a bit boring. Might be too late to test this
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

port goons have been nerfed too much
they need new anti cav option
halbs are too lame
I want full nilla cassadors back
remove cassa negative multiplier vs cav
oranges.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

@Development Team can we have "mute garja" option please?
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

stop tagging teams for useless posts
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

stop licking garja's balls and then we have a deal