Public Update Preview - November Update

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Re: Public Update Preview - November Update

Post by pecelot »

oh yes, get in, 60 is the number, football is the game
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Dolan wrote:
Unit selection cap raised from 50 to 60
Cool change. It's a modest bump, but it's still something. And if you don't need it, it doesn't affect you in any way.
It affects in the fact that allows bad players to dragbox more army instead of using ctrl groups for it.
Also having more and more units in the same group is just visually bad.
Image Image Image
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Just increase it to 200
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

Garja wrote:
Dolan wrote:
Cool change. It's a modest bump, but it's still something. And if you don't need it, it doesn't affect you in any way.
It affects in the fact that allows bad players to dragbox more army instead of using ctrl groups for it.
I'm not convinced
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

Garja wrote:Unfortunately both the calendar and the fast age card don't seem to be very useful. Even with perfectly tailored builds for a FI none of them really improves the old build, simply because the marginal gain in age up time (thanks to WPs gathering for age3 and age4 age ups) doesn't quite justify the xp loss.
I guess you can send the fast age card at the right time, making it arrive right after you click the colonial button. You can still send 3 wp for a boom, and go fortress in less than 1 minute.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Garja wrote:
Dolan wrote:
You could also argue 50 was too much too, for the same reason and it should have been 30 max, to force ppl to use ctrl groups, which would reward players with good multitasking skills.
They set that limit at 50 only because hardware was rly bad in the early 2000s when AOE3 was made and more than 50 would have lagged the game hard.
But then, there are also high-level players who dragbox and don't use ctrl groups, so there's more to game skills than how many units you can move at once using hotkeys.
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

EAGLEMUT wrote:PUP for the next update is now available!

List of changes (you gotta be logged into Steam)

Highlights:
[*]Ranked Treaty and Death match moved to Casual multiplayer playlist.
It seems supremecy team ranked in casual lobby might be coming soon
France louis293
Musketeer
ESO: obelix293

Post by louis293 »

does the new fast age card applies immedialty if it arrives while you are aging to colonial ? (idk when exactly the second shipment of azzy is supposed to arrive taking into account the early firepit and treasure xp kills on average).
More important does it applies on the next age ups as well ? Seems in fact pretty decent, if it accelerate the 2 skulls politician u can go kill the opponents TP very early maybe and also it means less idle time on town center meaning more vills.
Also even by aging fast it can maybe replace the 3 wp shipment in the 10 wp boom FI build, u loose two wp but u get the shipment faster and u can start booming even earlier with the fast age up boosted, on top of that the next aging ups will go very fast and maybe can replace the second 600c by 900c in age 3. I don't know need some Garja tests and probably i hope some Aizamks tests ;) .
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Dolan wrote:
Garja wrote:
Show hidden quotes
You could also argue 50 was too much too, for the same reason and it should have been 30 max, to force ppl to use ctrl groups, which would reward players with good multitasking skills.
They set that limit at 50 only because hardware was rly bad in the early 2000s when AOE3 was made and more than 50 would have lagged the game hard.
But then, there are also high-level players who dragbox and don't use ctrl groups, so there's more to game skills than how many units you can move at once using hotkeys.
Ye could argue that, but 50 seems a reasonable and nicely rounded number. No need to extend it further.
Image Image Image
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

princeofcarthage wrote:Just increase it to 200
Would be good if possible but could the game engine handle it?
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Garja wrote:
Dolan wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Ye could argue that, but 50 seems a reasonable and nicely rounded number. No need to extend it further.
Read the replies — there's need. If you don't care about it, you shouldn't be bothered, it won't affect you.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Ye a need to lower the skill ceyling even more.
I hope devs realize that the more they make the game a mod fiesta the less it is appealing for competitive players.
Image Image Image
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

fei123456 wrote:
Garja wrote:Unfortunately both the calendar and the fast age card don't seem to be very useful. Even with perfectly tailored builds for a FI none of them really improves the old build, simply because the marginal gain in age up time (thanks to WPs gathering for age3 and age4 age ups) doesn't quite justify the xp loss.
I guess you can send the fast age card at the right time, making it arrive right after you click the colonial button. You can still send 3 wp for a boom, and go fortress in less than 1 minute.
There is a bunch of things you can do with the fast age card.
You can send it as second card in the first age to spare the messenger age up for ageIII or you can send it just before aging to age3 (in which case you have to plan in advance to dance for only 9 WPs).
They are both viable and improve semi FF builds.
I already tested the builds and they're promising. Can do a 9WP 7min timing with 20 slingers and 16 spearmen and then decide to age (reaching fortress at 9 minutes) or alternatively can do the classic WP boom with about 15 slingers from the 700w card (war hut is from the age up) and reach fortress at 9 minutes with good eco and 2 cards ready to send.

The calendar card seems worse and doesn't really improves traditional builds.
Image Image Image
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Garja wrote:Ye a need to lower the skill ceyling even more.
I hope devs realize that the more they make the game a mod fiesta the less it is appealing for competitive players.
Yea you got it, changing unit selection from 50 to 60 is gonna make competitive players completely disinterested, not the releasing of competitively broken civs.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

@Garja it makes no significant difference to top players, maybe in dutch games you'll see a few more skirm... it doesn't matter at all.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
French Southern Territories kevinitalien
Lancer
ESO: KEVINITALIEN
Clan: PLOP

Post by kevinitalien »

yeah lol, its gonna make it easier for people who don't use control groups and maybe also for treaty? but otherwise it's good no need to make such a debate for this lol, personally what bothers me is every patches there are aztec changes because aztec are considered as weak lol, it is amazing how this civ is underestimating tbh, and also I'm quite hyped by this new game mode ngl, can't wait to test this tbh, but well overall they are good changes even if i do not like the change of jaguars
Image Image
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

it also makes it easier for people who use control groups. i don't want to have 2 groups for skirms when i also need to use groups for anticav, cav, artillery and probably a raid.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

gibson wrote:
Yea you got it, changing unit selection from 50 to 60 is gonna make competitive players completely disinterested, not the releasing of competitively broken civs.
It's the whole package of changes to the game not just that. Also people are already advocating for 200 pop selection which is the perfect example of why it gets worse and worse.
harcha wrote:it also makes it easier for people who use control groups. i don't want to have 2 groups for skirms when i also need to use groups for anticav, cav, artillery and probably a raid.
ye it just makes it easier and that's not a good thing
Image Image Image
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Garja wrote:
gibson wrote:
It's the whole package of changes to the game not just that. Also people are already advocating for 200 pop selection which is the perfect example of why it gets worse and worse.
harcha wrote:it also makes it easier for people who use control groups. i don't want to have 2 groups for skirms when i also need to use groups for anticav, cav, artillery and probably a raid.
Except you haven’t given one single objective argument for why 50 is the ideal amount for unit selection.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

Garja wrote:
gibson wrote:
whats not good about it
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

gibson wrote:
Garja wrote: ye it just makes it easier and that's not a good thing
Except you haven’t given one single objective argument for why 50 is the ideal amount for unit selection.
It's not like 50 is a magic number. Simply it's a number that is not too small nor too big and it works well being a 1/4 of the total pop. Most importantly tho it is what the game put originally, and since it works just fine there is no need to change it, especially when the possible consequence is to make the game even more accessible mechanically, lowering the skill ceyling.
Image Image Image
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

it doesn't lower skill ceiling, it lowers the skill barrier for noobs. the skill ceiling is still at a low level unit micro which noone does in fights where you have 50+ of the same unit
Greece LazarosVas
Dragoon
Clan: GMDS

Post by LazarosVas »

You make zero sense.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

harcha wrote:it doesn't lower skill ceiling, it lowers the skill barrier for noobs. the skill ceiling is still at a low level unit micro which noone does in fights where you have 50+ of the same unit
oh really?
you just contradict yourself
Image Image Image
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

LazarosVas wrote:
You make zero sense.
Nope, it's you that doesn't realize the game is changing in worse because of many little changes like that.
Image Image Image