How to stop native rush with russians?

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Argentina DFG741
Crossbow

How to stop native rush with russians?

Post by DFG741 »

I'm a main Russia player and I can't even have an opportunity against any type of native-american civ.

I mean, they always rush me with more and better units (Russia infantry have -20% attack and healt), especially the iroquois/haudenosaunee, I even try to make 3 blockhouses but their war chief can destroy them alone, they have cheap infantry, better infantry, and on top of that the war chief gives them combat bonus.

How can I counter a rush from a native-american civ? (specially if they are iroquois/haudenosaunee).

And, yes, I tried sending the 5 cossacks and raiding his villagers but a good player just put a few of them in TC to shoot or send 5 units to counter my cossacks while the rest or his army destroy my TC IN SECONDS.

All they have to do is attack and the war chief gives them a bonus and destroy buildings alone.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Re: How to stop native rush with russians?

Post by Squamiger »

Not sure about other native civs, but vs Haud, I have a few thoughts:

Take a look at this thread, where I asked the opposite question: viewtopic.php?f=983&t=24179&hilit=russia+haud

the answers there suggest that some people feel the matchup of haud vs Russia is fairly Russia favored. Haud struggles because Russia can contain them, deny them hunts, and out-eco and out-mass them in the colonial age, or age up for falconets. Tomahawks are not great anti-cav and Haud also has a hard time massing Kanya, so going strelet+cossack is pretty strong vs them. I guess a few others felt it was Haud favored, but their tips can help suggest what to do to counter.

I suspect your problem is a problem of timing and maybe build order. Are you aging on time with 14/20 pop? Are you sending 5 cossacks and queueing 10 strel or 5 musk around 5 minutes 30, or earlier? Is your blockhouse up before you hit age 2? What build is the Haud player using?

To counter Haud, take note of what they are doing. If they fast age, then build your blockhouse in base and mass and defend, and then push out and crush their base when you win a fight. If they slow age (more likely), then blockhouse mid-map and contain them.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Iro shits on russia
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

Kaiserklein wrote: ↑
28 Sep 2022, 10:19
Iro shits on russia
Nice to see a new face around these parts. Hope you enjoy your stay!
oranges.
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

Kaiserklein wrote: ↑
28 Sep 2022, 10:19
Iro shits on russia
I get the feeling that this becomes more and more true the more you are a micro god. Iro has to maximize the value of their small number of strong units to semi ff and defend, whereas Russia can win by outmassing and out-ecoing . So maybe at your level iro shits on Russia but at most other levels it’s much more even or somewhat Russia favored
Spain Synchro
Musketeer
Clan: TCP

Post by Synchro »

At other levels you have to start thinking like a pro.
Starsky: Think, always think what you can improve... There is sooo much room for improvement, which most guys simply dont see, because they just use very strong bos and units combos (wws only --> easy and toooo strong). (2006)
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

the quality of aoe3-related discussion on this forum has really gone down the shitter
Spain Synchro
Musketeer
Clan: TCP

Post by Synchro »

Honestly, the discussion on esoc seems dead to me.
Starsky: Think, always think what you can improve... There is sooo much room for improvement, which most guys simply dont see, because they just use very strong bos and units combos (wws only --> easy and toooo strong). (2006)
Germany richard
Dragoon

Post by richard »

Squamiger wrote: ↑
03 Oct 2022, 16:27
the quality of aoe3-related discussion on this forum has really gone down the shitter
The game is in a simply ridiculous state atm. It got totally destroyed by the modern devs.
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

richard wrote: ↑
04 Oct 2022, 16:21
The game is in a simply ridiculous state atm. It got totally destroyed by the modern devs.
i don't really agree, it feels the most balanced its been since the start of DE. nothing really stands out as super broken or uncounterable. Everything that was super broken (early swedes, inca fort laming, spain logistician, african civs, USA) has been nerfed. Italy and Malta seem like good civs but not unbeatable. There's just a lot of new stuff to learn and process but that's how it was with TWC and TAD too.

Maybe it's just that discord has replaced forums for community discussion?
France speedflyer
Dragoon
ESO: speedflyer

Post by speedflyer »

04 Oct 2022, 18:15
richard wrote: ↑
04 Oct 2022, 16:21
i don't really agree, it feels the most balanced its been since the start of DE. nothing really stands out as super broken or uncounterable. Everything that was super broken (early swedes, inca fort laming, spain logistician, african civs, USA) has been nerfed. Italy and Malta seem like good civs but not unbeatable. There's just a lot of new stuff to learn and process but that's how it was with TWC and TAD too.

Maybe it's just that discord has replaced forums for community discussion?
The fact you have no clue about what's op or not doesnt mean the game is in a good state tbh...
Event tho i agree , most of discussion now happen on discord.
I hope Zoi and his team of faithful minions can stop demonizing people
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Aizamk wrote: ↑
28 Sep 2022, 10:41
Nice to see a new face around these parts. Hope you enjoy your stay!
I don't talk to elephants sorry
28 Sep 2022, 13:31
I get the feeling that this becomes more and more true the more you are a micro god. Iro has to maximize the value of their small number of strong units to semi ff and defend, whereas Russia can win by outmassing and out-ecoing . So maybe at your level iro shits on Russia but at most other levels it’s much more even or somewhat Russia favored
Nah it's much harder to play as russia regardless, it's not a matter of micro. It's super easy to defend the rush as iro and age, and then russia is just dead. Btw going forward bh vs iro is a big risk already to begin with.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Defending the rush is easy for sure, and fbing with russia is also asking for a counter timing. However if the Russia player doesn't make useless ruskets and micro his strel/coss well + doesn't overextend I think it's not trivial for Iro to reach fortress in good shape.
Defensive Russia is also not trivial to deal with for Iro.
Image Image Image
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

Kaiser and G you guys had this same convo in my thread, I think a show match is in order
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

announce mobilization
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco